Cylinder Head Porting and flow numbers.

COMP461

Veteran Member
I'm going back on the flowbench in the very near future.
The first heads were done rather quickly , to make it to Drag Week on time. The best numbers are close to 200 @ 28 inches. I am confident that there is a lot more in these heads , the seats are part of the problem as well, we are going to change seat angles to work on high lift numbers. This modification is critical to make a head flow at the real lift you cam is going to deliver.

I have laid out a few new valve designs ,that should have a little better numbers all around. Another consideration is with custom valves , the length can be adjusted for bigger cam lifts.
I also want to work on a lot more cam lift , this head will flow to .450 to .500.

A interesting facts that comes for a few, but rare pressure flow benches , is that even after the valve seems to stall out, on normal flow benches , the flow improves with more lift. .
what’s everyone’s thoughts, I’ll post up pictures and give valve angles .
here are the first heads , they flow good , but there is a lot left in them, before we get out the welder

notice the cut up heads, I will make pictures of those , next week

Last edited:

Whitbread

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Several
FWIW, when I flowed my stock head, it flowed 110 on the exhaust and 112 on the intake at .450" lift with 28" water. I haven't finished porting it yet to flow it again.

COMP461

Veteran Member
I didn't get to flow the head before , We were in such a hurry to get the little engine together. what scale did you use , I used the 230 scale .

I tryed open hole and it didn't pick up any at all over peak. the port has a lot more restriction then the valve

Pat Dolan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Variant, 2015 Q7
I am so accustomed to working with things that have (often rule based) restrictions, I tend to be more aware of the valve/seat interface at low lift. From you pics, the existing head still seems to have the valves fully shrouded? Penny for your thoughts.

ryanp

Vendor
TDI
Arosa CR - 550hp - 9.7 @ 150mph 1/4 Mile, Citigo 4x4 CR TDi - 340hp, Caddy 2.0 CR 4x4 TDI - 300+hp, Golf Mk2 Van 1.9 TDI - was 290hp, Mk5 Ibiza 2.0 FR TDi - 270hp, BMW 135d - 360hp, BMW 330d - 335hp, BMW 335d - 380hp + a few more ........
I've got a bare 150PD head here, would be good for development. Chris hill wanted it but i've not got a reply back. I only want shipping costs!

Ry

hatemi

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A6 4F 3.0TDI
Hmm... That exhaust looks restrictive compared to mine ;) Surface finish looks pretty tough.

COMP461

Veteran Member
The shrouding is minimal , but Greg tells me that it is addressed in porting and the valve job. . The swirl half of the port is a restriction , but the water is close in there as well, I am going attempt to gain a access hole , and have the back side of the port welded up .
I feel that improved ail flow ,comprised of porting and cam timing , is the most critical aspect of thoughtful diesel performance improvements above minor street mods.
If you can move air easier , and reduce restriction , you also reduce the corresponding turbine inlet pressure , with this comes a dramatic reduction in heat retention in the engine . Any internal combustion engine is a air pump the more air you can move the more fuel you can burn. The cooler the temperature the less stress needed to make the same power.
Bottom line , is its not easy , and its not inexpensive , but the power becomes more reliable

mtbr297

Vendor
TDI
2015 Golf TDI, Seat Leon FR PD 150 6 speed.
pd head

ryanp said:
I've got a bare 150PD head here, would be good for development. Chris hill wanted it but i've not got a reply back. I only want shipping costs!

Ry
Ryan,
I sent you a pm. What is the difference in the pd 150 head versus a pd 100 or brm or bew head?

87turboquattro

Veteran Member
TDI
97 passat
ryanp said:

Ry
i talked to chris today,he and i will take the head.just let me know how much the shipping is,,,thank you

Pat Dolan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Variant, 2015 Q7
Gregg:

Refreshing to see someone come to the table and lay it all bare. Greatly appreciate your contributions. Glad you have thick enough hide to tolerate the inevitable critics.

BTW: How is intake manifold progress for ALH coming along (the IC one)?

COMP461

Veteran Member
Pat Dolan said:
Gregg:

Refreshing to see someone come to the table and lay it all bare. Greatly appreciate your contributions. Glad you have thick enough hide to tolerate the inevitable critics.

BTW: How is intake manifold progress for ALH coming along (the IC one)?

Greg is doing my pan, and we have already digital mapped out the pan rail, and will be water jetting out the billet rails if any one wants to do their own pan , Im sure he would sell a pan rail. The pan we are doing is flat and has small sumps .

no problem I enjoy helping , the new manifold is getting close , Greg wants to make the runners and plenum plate the same for the IC manifold as the regular manifold.
Were doing a lot of R&D on several projects , and this is inline. Greg has two pallets of heads to do for the pullers , , and a lot of street heads , and even a few VW heads , its getting crazy
Thanks for the encouragement , I put all the players on ignore , and got 8 pm of other enjoying these threads that are doing the same.
You can call Greg if you have any thoughts on what you would like to see in a manifold .
I’m getting him to do a puke tank for the PVC , the spend gasses go straight in to the intake , and displace good oxygen bearing air.

Pat Dolan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Variant, 2015 Q7
Comp:

I am a little behind in the project department right now, and I am kind of waffling on manifold. The integrated CAC, though, could well get me to move forward on that car.

As for breather/condensors: I usually put copper pot scrubbers into a 2" tube to condense oil, gravity it out of the bottom to the sump and route the topside to the inlet manifold. Use it on my Ford F450 (7.3 tow vehicle - 36,000 lb. gross) and it has worked really well to keep the CAC and lines dry. Keep wanting to make some TDI ones, but see first comment. They should be done in aluminum and have cold air blast routed to it.

Will call Greg when I get winter stuff done.

Pat

COMP461 said:
Greg is doing my pan, and we have already digital mapped out the pan rail, and will be water jetting out the billet rails if any one wants to do their own pan , Im sure he would sell a pan rail. The pan we are doing is flat and has small sumps .

no problem I enjoy helping , the new manifold is getting close , Greg wants to make the runners and plenum plate the same for the IC manifold as the regular manifold.
Were doing a lot of R&D on several projects , and this is inline. Greg has two pallets of heads to do for the pullers , , and a lot of street heads , and even a few VW heads , its getting crazy
Thanks for the encouragement , I put all the players on ignore , and got 8 pm of other enjoying these threads that are doing the same.
You can call Greg if you have any thoughts on what you would like to see in a manifold .
I’m getting him to do a puke tank for the PVC , the spend gasses go straight in to the intake , and displace good oxygen bearing air.

COMP461

Veteran Member
the head is off and going back on the bench, I wanted to check bearings as well .
I can see that the head gasket had been dancing a lot, but the new ARP studs fixed the problem,
I know that Charlie is on his second 10 sets , can’t wait to hear what others think.
The new manifold is waiting on the last pieces of the heavy steel jig, this is going to be a production manifold base , Greg uses a 1 inch steel jig when he builds manifolds to make sure they remain in place.