Just outta Curiosity....

OmegaRenegade

Vendor
TDI
2004 Jetta
i am not by anymeans a gearhead but i do know my way around a toolbox and can do most repairs on my car... regaurdless thats not my why i am making this post... i was wondering if i was to chip my 2001 TDI, what kind of benefits/gains would i be able to expect from doing this mod. Another thing is my jetta is Auto, would that have any effect or elegebility on doing this mod.

I was told from friends/family and some other people on other forrums that chipping our TDI's has the ability to increase fuel economy and also regain up to 20% of our engines power... not entirley sure what to make of that but maybe someone here who has chipped there car can clarify.

Another thing i was wanting to know is if i was to chip, would i be able to pass emissions test?

What kind of chip would you recommend/ who in the GTA is able to do it? I hear the price for something like this can run easily around 3-500 dollars. Also remember reading that a rocketchip is our best option.

Lastly, are there any major downsides to chipping, as in would i need to do any other modifications to accomodate this new found power. I realise it would void my warrenty but being an 01' its already long gone and over. any potential dangers on doing such an upgrade?

i have read the FAQ's but still not quite sure on the above.

i appreciate your help and time on this, Thanks
OmegaRenegade

craig01b

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
Go to powerenhancements and there is a ton of reading to do.....

In a nutshell....emissions is not a problem...just a chip without nozzles, and your tranny should be fine..

The guys I know with the rocket chips love them, only problem, going across the border, or sending you ecu via mail to get it modded.

Happy looking...

Craig

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
These cars came with 90hp & 155lbs/ft. With a chip, you can increase it to 115hp & 195 lbs/ft. The difference is very noticable. I have done extensive mods to my car and am running in the neighborhood of 170hp & 270 lbs/ft and I have not broken anything YET. But my clutch had to be changed (not an issue with the auto).

But the best bang for the buck is to just upgrade your nozzles. You can put larger nozzles in your car for as little as $100 for a used set of 5 speed nozzles (bigger holes) or about $200 for new nozzles, the next size up. 5 speed nozzles will give you about 105hp & 180lbs/ft (educated guess) and the even larger .205 nozzles will give you almost the same as a chip for half the price. You could also do both and really get some gains, but as a start, I would try the nozzles first. As suggested already, do a little reading in the performance enhancements forum. There are tons of folks who post in there who have done upgrades.

OmegaRenegade

Vendor
TDI
2004 Jetta
Many thanks to the replys and suggestions. I am very much engrossed in the powerenhancments thread, frankly most of my spare time is going into reading up on some of the things that this engine can do. Reason for posting here was because i saw a thread not too far below this one regaurding someone offering to chip my car for 380 dollars with 10+ people. For something for that price that gives me just over 20% engine gains it is by far the best and cheapest upgrade one can do to their car. Not only that, your telling me it can give me better fuel economy just makes the deal sweeter.

380 dollars isnt something i consider pocket change so i wanted to be sure that my car would not get destroyed, my emissions would stay 'clean' and that my car would still remain reliable in our up comming winter months.

again i would like to thank you for the reply and any other advantages / disadvantages you can provide me with will always be appreciated. thank you!
OmegaRenegade

FourBanger

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Reflex Silver
this is just hearsay on my part, but apparently the characteristic of a chipped/nozzled car is that during normal driving you can expect an improvement in fuel economy.. something about the larger nozzle allowing for a more precise and better quality fuel spray than stock nozzles? However under load, fuel economy obviously suffers and there is also the issue of black smoke.

I personally do not know anything about this, this is just what some ppl claim after doing these mods. My opinion is that anything that gives you an extra 75whp and 100ftlbs of torque can't help your fuel economy, so chipping and nozzles of any kind will cause economy to suffer. I just mention this because I'd assume most TDI fans value their economy first. Beyond that, the performance gains are definitely there, and as it has been mentioned the weak point then becomes your transmission.

The fix for this is the VR6 clutch/G60 flywheel combo, however those who have upgraded claim there is some chatter from the clutch at idle, which may or may not affect your enjoyment of the vehicle depending on what kind of enthusiast you are.

Again, just hearsay I have read here and on VW Vortex. Good luck

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
If driven conservatively, most chips will give better fuel economy. Problem is, after you chip the car you rarely want to drive conservatively...they run SO MUCH better!

FWIW, my '98 Jetta (which was of course a manual) got better fuel economy with my early Upsolute chip driven normally. And it could haul ass when it needed to :D

I'd go for a set of manual trans injectors first, since you could likely find them cheap and it would be a quick simple install. I would however squirt down your current injectors NOW with some penetrating oil to aid in sliding them out of the head.

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
The reason larger nozzles gives better fuel economy is because it gets more fuel into the cylindrs in a shorter time. This maximizes the combustion. To get more power, you need more fuel. With small holes, if you want more power, the ECM lengthens the window that fuel is injected to get that extra fuel in. But the optimum duration for the injection is shorter than what the small nozzles are capable of. With larger injectors, you get the fuel required in a shorter window and it can be burned more completely, thus reducing the unburnable fuel at the begining & end of the optimum window. I hope that makes sense.

For the record, with my 170hp & 280lbs/ft, I am still averaging just under 50mpg. I get better mileage now than when the car was stock and I do use the extra power very frequently. Now granted, I did get better economy when I had the stage 2 chip with larger injectors than I do now with the stage 4. But I am still better now than I was at stock.

craig01b

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
205's....Nice bump in power. Going to get chipped next week with an upsolute. My only concern is how soon am I going to be doing a clutch. As long as I keep the teenagers outta the drivers seat in the vdub, I should get by until the nice weather .

Have a good holiday.

Craig