06 BRM A/C Will Not Come On - Climatic Manual Type

kfcoltn

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
This car is new to me, dont know if A/C worked previously.
Current symptoms and indications
Evacuated system for 30 minutes, charged with 12 oz of freon through the high side, started engine and turned on AC to finish the charge to 18.5 ozs through the low side, but compressor is not working. AC switch is on and cabin fan in high speed. Hi and low side pressures both stay at 85 so could not top off charge. Fans were not running, dash temp indicator reads ___. both temp sensors on LH and RH side of radiator are connected and appear OK. Rad fans are brand new, have power at the main connector large and small wire. Hi pressure transducer and compressor valve harness connected and appear ok.
VCDS readings - (going from memory so pardon the wrong terms) all AC related codes cleared, none active.

Compressor - 0%, 0 Amps
High side pressure - same as ambient (in bars)
Radiator fan - Actual 10% - specified 0% (fans are new and have power to them)

Which fuse controls the AC system? the owners manual did not say.
What else can I check?

sptsailing

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta Manual, stock with Panzer Plate & Franko6 modified EGR cooler & CAM
Have you read any of the numerous posts about the problematic 2006 A/C yet? Odds are, the RCV is the issue.

kfcoltn

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Yes, I have read and read those threads. In thhe RCV valve case the computer shows the the signal from the ecm to the RCV valve calling for refrigerant by sending .8 amps to the RCV. In my case the ecm is not sending the demand signal to the RCV.

sptsailing

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta Manual, stock with Panzer Plate & Franko6 modified EGR cooler & CAM
Years ago I found and downloaded a pdf about our cars that I have found to be helpful:
vwusa.com_vw_mk5_jetta_electricalsystem_ssp_873403.pdf

I see that it is still available online from a number of websites. Perhaps the clues needed are in there.

Othin

TDI
2006 Jetta
I am having issues as well. My compressor doesn’t seem to run it was changed a couple years ago. When I got the car the previous owner cut out the outside air temp sensor without it the AC will not come on. I am not sure what other sensors there are. I’m still looking for a solution.

kfcoltn

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
sptsailing - Thanks for the elec info document.

Does anyone knowif the outside temp sensor must work for the AC to work?

On this car the readout in the dash reads blank, or all dashes. _ _ _

relumalutan

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI Special Edition
Othin and kfcoltn,

It seems that you have located the problem: the outside temperature sensor. If I correctly recall, without it, the AC will not work. The outside temperature sensor is visible through the grille, as it is located on the front of the radiator, on the driver side.

Hobhancock

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 TDI Platinum grey 5 speed
My son drives a 2006 TDI. He was saying the AC works then when he stops at idle such as a stop light, it will stop working. He restarts the car and it works again. So he came over and we found one issue being with his cooling fans. They didnt work. So I threw in another set I had and his AC was back.

So you mentioned the fans are not turning one. Its my understanding the fans have to run before the AC works.

kfcoltn

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Thanks for the reply.
In this case the fans are new and I believe the AC pressure transducer must see a certain pressure first, which then signals the fans to come on. So with the compressor not getting a signal to come on, it is not building high side pressure to tell the fans to come on.

Keep the ideas coming, I appreciate it.