Delayed Air Conditioning

bunnsjunk

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI, 5-Speed
http://www.gatewaycc.edu/automotive-technology

you could go down here and see if there is a student willing to give it a try.
This might actually be a decent fit. The only box it wouldn't check off is people with experience who've been in these valves/compressors who know the little things.

Again, I'm not uncertain a simply valve replacement won't do it. I'm just a bit cautious, because I have had some of the symptoms which may call for a full replacement.

Thanks again for all the suggestions!

zleem60

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI w/ 5th gear swap .658, 2002Jetta Tdi six speed swap!! :)
TDI in Mesa AZ Mechanic.

Zleem60 here.

My personal friend and Master Mechanic friend can help you out. We actually pulled the compressor apart and it was clean through and through. No shaving whatsoever. So if there are shaving in your compressor, time to replace it. He was with Coulter Cadillac Master Tech and train other newbie to work on cars. But the experience he has with VW is with both my 2002 TDI and 2006 TDI, he did the 6 speed swap for me in my 02 over a weekend!! Pretty awesome. He is also helping me with GTB 2260VK turbo upgrade with all the nozzles pipework, intercooler, etc.

PM me if you like to talk with him.

Thanks,
Mike

I'm curious to know who's the guy to go to in AZ. I live in the Tempe/Mesa/Scottsdale area. I've seen guys like Keaton, ZLeem60, MK6 Golf, 16volt, and some others here from AZ who are posting here.

I also started work on this back in 2014 just before moving with Dax back in Louisville (but it was just before I was moving, and the company sent him the wrong part and the thing never got fixed; he attempted to quickly clean it out). But no one has had any suggestions about good TDI folks out here in AZ, So Cal, NM, or So Nev.

Yet, I'm hearing from some of the Valley crew here that there is at least one guy here who knows what he's doing.

I have read through this entire thread twice (now and back in late 2013). I have also compiled a 32 page Word doc where I've attempted to crystalize a lot of the wisdom contained in this thread.

I would love it if anyone has a good suggestions for me.

Thanks!

TedStriker

TDI
2004 Mk5 Golf TDI 140 DSG
Another success story

Well, thought I'd post my very recent experience with this issue. Got a 2004 Mk5 Golf 2.0 TDI PD 16V (BKD) DSG which had the delayed air con issue. swapped the valve with a part from here...

https://www.bestpartstore.co.uk/7522535

Mine was slightly unusual as it had the bolt mount not the circlip, but from what I've read and my experience, the bolt mount would seem to be simpler to change. It really was a simple as removing the bolt, popping the old valve out and pushing the new one in.

Following a regas today, all is good. Icy cold AC from 10 seconds after startup.

While doing the job I noticed only the larger fan was working so took the smaller one apart and sure enough one of the bushes was seized so unseized it, cleaned everything up and now its running well. Previously the fan would pulse high and low but now they sit at low.

All good!

Last edited:

TedStriker

TDI
2004 Mk5 Golf TDI 140 DSG
Well, thought I'd post my very recent experience with this issue. Got a 2004 Mk5 Golf 2.0 TDI PD 16V (BKD) DSG which had the delayed air con issue. swapped the valve with a part from here...

https://www.bestpartstore.co.uk/7522535

Mine was slightly unusual as it had the bolt mount not the circlip, but from what I've read and my experience, the bolt mount would seem to be simpler to change. It really was a simple as removing the bolt, popping the old valve out and pushing the new one in.

Following a regas today, all is good. Icy cold AC from 10 seconds after startup.

While doing the job I noticed only the larger fan was working so took the smaller one apart and sure enough one of the bushes was seized so unseized it, cleaned everything up and now its running well. Previously the fan would pulse high and low but now they sit at low.

All good!
Well I spoke too soon. After leaving the car overnight, the AC delay is as bad as ever. Now undecided whether to go for a used compressor at £30 or a new one at £200+. Really annoying thing is for each swap it's another £40 for a regas.

Bummer.

RV9Factory

TDI
2006 Jetta
Refrigerant control valve in the compressor. They cost about 20 bucks apiece if I remember correctly from AliExpress. The price may have gone up or down I don't know I ordered two a few years ago and just put the second one in my car a few months ago. It went from 5 minutes to cool down to 30 seconds or less.

rtj49

TDI
2006 jetta
On my 2006 Jetta will the rcv valve come out without removing the fan or compressor?
Thanks,

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
Yes, it can be done. I have done it. The split ring style is harder, as the body is deeper into the compressor. Access is tight and awkward, you will need some 90 degree snap ring pliers of fair quality.
I would start by using a high pressure car wash to clean the area thoroughly.
Getting the old RCV out can be a struggle. Pry, wiggle, pull, be persistent.

The bolt in style is usually a piece of cake.

ro0ter

TDI
Skoda Octavia II 2007, BKD, 2.0 TDI Elegance
Another one (n280) bites the dust

Hello everyone and thank you for the huge pile of information present on this website!

I own a 2007 Skoda Octavia MK2 (pre-FaceLift), 2.0 TDI, 104KW/16V, BKD engine, 2-zone climatronic

I can state the following (cronologically):
1. Car purchased 2010, 140km (87k miles), now it has 260km (162k miles)
2. AC had no issues what-so-ever until last year.
3. About two years ago I had a problem with the engine shutoff valve (that thing that cuts air to the diesel engines so that the engine stops nice and smooth); my car would literally rock when I would stop the engine... That shutoff valve would blow some green fuse in the engine compartment every other engine stop... Guess what: I have been told that the same fuse also feeds the fans (or the small fan.. don`t remember)... So my compressor/valve might be cooked. Will check for black deposits when changing the RCV (wish me lucj, I hope there`s no black death).
4. However, diagnosing and fixing that issue took more than 3 months since my (former) mechanic did not had time for me and later he kept on postponing me, telling me that I have some tired engine buffers (supports)... Guess what: three months later I changed the mechanic and the new mechanic fixed the issue very fast. He also replaced one engine buffer as the engine rocking literally tore it off.
5. The new mechanic also asked me when was the last time I have refilled my AC... I had no idea (not in the past 4~5 years, though)... Yet, it was blowing ICE COLD air.
6. Same year, later on (in the autumn), I detected some delay in cooling (about 30 seconds or ~half a km/mile).. I discussed this with my new mechanic and he showed me the AC machine summary (+60grams refrigerant / +5g oil).. No other problem. darn...... (my question now: might he had used some low quality compressor oil?)
7. Next year the delay problem seemed gone until in the middle of the summer.. small delay, yet after that the AC was blowing near 0 Kelvin (-459F lol ) once it started to blow cold (that is very very cold, I did not considered the delay to be a problem, I was not aware of any delayed cooling issues).
8. This year however... I noticed the delay problem was worsening... I took my VCDS and noticed 5bar (~72.5psi) when compressor was fully on, yet blowing slightly cooler air. That is - it was low refrigerant (~23*C / 73.4F ambient temperature). I went to an AC shop and had them refill my system. Very helpful and kind AC shop mechanic told me that I might have a considerable leak (AC machine recovered only 45g/1.56oz- yes, that is forty-five grams or one point fifty-six ounces - of refrigerant)... After recharging he checked for leaks with some gas detection probe and told me that my condenser is pierced like a swiss cheese.. too many rocks hitting it (not the bugs, don`t blame the bugs). 3 days later I had him change the condenser and I had already lost 160g (5.65oz) out of the 525g (18.5oz) inside.
9. The test after showd no improve... The AC sop mechanic told me that it might the AC controller unit that needs to be changed.. Well well, I remembered tampering with the entire car dashboard (radio-mp3 player / climatronic / etc) until I found out how to install the 7D aux heater module.. However, it`s not here, as I did not break any connector and I correctly seated every single one of them. All temperatures are reported correctly, all flap positions are ok... not from there.. I also readapted the climatronic several times, no improvements.. I intiially thought that the aux heater module would turn on (I suspected a malfunction) and heat the air while ECON was off... VCDS proved me wrong (same happens when the Aux Heater is uninstaleld in the gateway installation list or with its CAN plug unplugged).
10. Now the AC has either small or long periods when it won`t work (that is - blowing slight cooler air, maybe 5~10*C/9~19*F cooler than outside temp), blowing (very) hot air when idling (e.g. at traffic lights), refusing to start.. However, sometimes it blows very cool (although not polar cool) air, even with 37*C (99*F) outside temp and after some minutes I have to move the air vent away from me. When it simply doesn`t want to work, I turn the econ mode on and off several times, quick enough (0.5~1 second between pressing the button; I have followed the current intensity value with VCDS, it no longer drops to 625mA as it did a couple of months ago, but it stays at 825mA; however, as I am an embedded hobbyist, and with physics background, I suspected that repeatedly engaging the system would eventually unblock its valve for some time... true, it saves my ass for the moment, but next time it`s the same. Yet, it only works if the engine is hot, that is if both fans are spinning)
11. The small fan never starts spinning when the AC is turned on and the engine is cold. The delay is caused (I suspect) mainly by the non-spinning of the small fan (which sometimes doesn`t spin for 8 minutes while the car idles)... Once the engine temperature raises over about 50*C (122*F; oil must be much higher, ECU knows best why it requests both fans to start), the compressor engages and I can feel the AC condenser warming up from the passenger side top corner and the car blows slight cool air (usually in the mornings, outside temp is below 30*C/86*F).
12. Measurements while the AC is blowing hot air: N280 current is 825mA (specified at 820mA), compressor load is ~3.5Nm (2.6lbsf.ft), high-side pressure ~8bar (116psi), evaporator temp ~26*C (79*F), ambient temperature 24*C (75*F); interesting fact: small fan is spinning at 25.6% when specified value is 30.4% and 24.8% when specified value is 30%. I`ll have to check this fan (its brushes) as well when I switch the RCV.
13. Measurements while the AC is blowing slightly colder (or maybe even cool) air: N280 current is still 825mA... compressor load 6+Nm (4.43+lbsf.ft), high-side pressure ~12bar (174psi), evaporator temp ~10*C (50*F), small fan 53.6% (not sure about spec`d value), ambient temperature 28*C (82*F).
14. I went to a compressor diagnose with gauges (costs about 13USD) and low-side pressure is about 4bar (60psi)... dead valve for sure... I was told I should rather replace the entire compressor and drier plus wash the system, but that is pretty expensive (850+ USD for all the fun). I have rather ordered the n280 valve from some online auto parts store at 55.6USD including shipping. Evacuating the installation, vacuuming it and refilling would cost 13USD plus the additionally required refrigerant. That`s a bargain compared to the whole compressor... Yet, I`ll have to check what color is inside my compressor...

Fun fact: Before ordering the new valve I wanted to be 100% sure that I order what I need, therefore I went to a mechanic to undo my car`s belly for me to take a photo of the compressor label... Done quickly, in under 2 minutes the car was elevated and its belly taken off. Sure thing, the compressor was all dirty (I had some diesel leak from the tandem pump metal seal, which seal I have changed a couple of years ago) with diesel and dust... The "smart" mechanic took a brake spray (containing solvents) and cleaned the label... He cleaned it for sure, it was all white afterwards :))))) not even a letter remained! However, based on some photos and car`s VIN number, the online shop helped me pick the right part (snap ring type one, round bump, yet a different type than what I have ordered) - https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8BqzWJzQpE1T3IxNHdxanVWZUU/view

ordered https://www.epiesa.ro/supapa-regula...mo-v15-77-1014/17971/100354/idprod-288640591/
was adviced to order https://www.epiesa.ro/supapa-regula...otec-ktt060034/17971/100354/idprod-509611987/
anyway, now I suppose I have this part installed: https://www.epiesa.ro/supapa-regula...otec-ktt060004/17971/100354/idprod-509611683/

I hope there`s no problem with posting the links.. If it is, the admin can remove them as he wishes

I hereby thank you all for all your contributions!
Wish me luck with the compressor!

Last edited:

Diesel Larry

TDI
'09 Jetta
Are the Sanden compressors really as lousy as they appear to me, or is it just "bad luck" I am having?

Update: Took it to a shop to put some gauges on it, because I still had some air conditioning function early in the morning. I was about 1lb. low. They think the evaporator is shot. :(

Last edited:

dieselherb1

Veteran Member
TDI
06 MK5,09 Mk5 CR,03 Mk4,96,2-97 B4s,98 A3,2000 A4,4 Caddies( 2-1.6TD,1.6,TDI) Chevys 6.2,6.5,6.5TD
It maybe that the RCV valves are failing

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
Are the Sanden compressors really as lousy as they appear to me, or is it just "bad luck" I am having?

Update: Took it to a shop to put some gauges on it, because I still had some air conditioning function early in the morning. I was about 1lb. low. They think the evaporator is shot. :(
I have only seen one trashed Sanden compressor. Back a few years ago folks were shipping me their old ones after they replaced it. They had bad RCVs or bad clutch coils, but the compressors were good. Most of the ones I see have been running since 2000 or whenever.
If I got a replacement compressor, I would like a Sanden - probably just mine the junkyards.

wesalexleft

TDI
Tiguan
Having a hard time searching for the RCV problem with Denso compressors in the forums. I’ve found plenty of complaints of delayed compressor engagement with Sanden, but not much with Denso. I have a 2011 Tiguan with all the behavior of a bad RCV, but it’s Denso. Does Denso RCV have the same problems? Compressor is Denso 7SEU17C. I’ve only found one supplier for the RCV part. Any Denso compressor owners out there that replaced the RCV and fixed the delay?

sptsailing

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta Manual, stock with Panzer Plate & Franko6 modified EGR cooler & CAM
So several years ago, I bought a replacement RCV and had a local A/C company install it. Now the A/C is exhibiting the previous symptoms again, so I will have to do this again. Is there some sort of inline filter that can be installed that will capture all the particles that are ruining these valves that I could install?

usernamehere

TDI
06 Jetta

sptsailing

Veteran Member
TDI
I am finding numerous sources for the replacement RCV, but upon investigation, all that I am finding seem to be made in China. Does anyone know where to buy a RCV that is not made in China?

CoriolisSTORM

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta BRM DSG
So I took my wife's 2006 Jetta TDI to a place in Tuscaloosa today to get the AC looked at. The nearest recommended VW place is up in Birmingham, sadly. There's not even a VW dealer here anymore. The quote I received was $1573! Does this sound reasonable? That is a new compressor ($540), expansion valve ($26), and condenser($239.18). The rest of it was labor and an evac/recharge ($90).

It initially started as not cooling on startup that then got better after a mile or two, now it doesn't work at all. Think Hutchinson (the recommended TDI guys in Alabama) would be any better? It's about 2 to 2.5 hours to get there. :( My wife was wanting to take it to the beach next week instead of my Jeep, but with 95 degree days and 80-90% humidity this time of year, I think I'll park it for now.

sptsailing

Veteran Member
TDI
Unless there is no refrigerant in the system and they can show that your condenser is bad, the answer is NO, that is Not reasonable. If you have any refrigerant in the system, the problem is probably your RCV (Refrigerant Control Valve). Inspect the compressor and figure out exactly which RCV you have. Search this forum to find out how. Buy a replacement RCV, (even if it is from China). They should cost between $20 and $70. With the replacement valve in hand, go to a LOCAL automotive A/C shop and propose to them the following: 1. Evacuate the refrigerant. 2. Replace the RCV with the one you have. 3. Evacuate the system to recommended vacuum levels prior to recharge. 4. Charge the system with the refrigerant amount specified by VW (about 18 oz.) 5. Agree to not hold them responsible if it does not work. This should cost less than $250 total.

In 2012, I did this when my car like yours had this issue, and the A/C company agreed. My A/C then worked fine until about 4 months ago. The compressors themselves are all very well made, but the RCV's are the weak link and all appear to be pretty ****ty.

sptsailing

Veteran Member
TDI
I do not know. Hopefully, others who might know will post a reply. Dealing with the A/C on these cars is my weak point.

Diesel Larry

TDI
'09 Jetta

Another update: A year later, the Air conditioner is still working after the Freon add. Can't explain it, I am just happy it still works. :)

CoriolisSTORM

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta BRM DSG
They told me it had no Freon. I'm not sure if I believe them or not. Can I see anything about it with my VCDS?
Finally had time to work on it and found the problem. My (I think) high pressure line has a BIG leak in it. It looks like something hit it at one point. Where is a good place to get lines for these things? And should I just replace the line, charge it and hope for the best, or do everything, compressor, valve, dryer, etc?

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
vwpartscenter.net is where I like to gol

empty of fluid, I would change out the dryer at least (and the bad line)

but it all depends how long you have been driving it like this.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
then how much longer do you plan to keep the car? (and want the ac to work)

my guess is that whatever cannot be totally flushed needs to be replaced.

driving for a year with a gaping hole in the hose, means air, water and dirt in the system. and the compressor rotates all the time.

it is designed to be lubricated without pressure, but a year is a long time.

there is a break-away protection that allows the pulley to rotate if the compressor ends up jammed. is yours broken? this would make the choice easy.

sptsailing

Veteran Member
TDI
Nope. The system only turns it on when the temperature and pressure indicates it to be needed.

CoriolisSTORM

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta BRM DSG
then how much longer do you plan to keep the car? (and want the ac to work)

my guess is that whatever cannot be totally flushed needs to be replaced.

driving for a year with a gaping hole in the hose, means air, water and dirt in the system. and the compressor rotates all the time.

it is designed to be lubricated without pressure, but a year is a long time.

there is a break-away protection that allows the pulley to rotate if the compressor ends up jammed. is yours broken? this would make the choice easy.
As little as she drives, the car will be around for SEVERAL more years.

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta and 99.5 Golf, 2015 Passat TDI,BMW 2
My 2015 Passat TDI is having the A/C delay so it is hard to read through 38 pages members are saying the culprit is the RCV valve on the compressor how hard is it to replace and where are you guys getting RCV from,,, it would be nice if there are pics associated with swapping such valve

sptsailing

Veteran Member
TDI
I put my cell phone on a selfie stick and stuck it down by the compressor so take pictures to see what I had. My RCV is held on by a bolt, but many others seem to be held on by a circlip spring. Duckduck go is your friend to find the RCV you need. Youtube has several videos about replacing these, none of which I particularly recommend, but by watching a few you can accumulate an understanding of what needs to occur.

I bought one from Polar Bear refrigeration company in Ft. Lauderdale in 2012 that restored my A/C functionality until earlier this year. I need to do this again, as the intermittent symptoms are again identical. I have an earlier post in this thread inquiring as to the source of a non-Chinese source, but no one has replied so I suspect all of the replacements available will be of suspect quality.