what size triple square bit for alternator pulley?

matteas

Veteran Member
TDI
15' tdi GSW
I'm going to replace the alternator pulley on my 98 TDI and am at a loss as to what size triple square bit I should use? Thanks in advance.
Matteas

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
There's really only 4 triple square sizes I ever see used (I havn't even seen any other sizes made from major tool makers). But I have a '98 myself. When I get to work tommorow I'll try to remember to size it up and see what works.

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
Matt-98AHU said:
There's really only 4 triple square sizes I ever see used (I havn't even seen any other sizes made from major tool makers). But I have a '98 myself. When I get to work tommorow I'll try to remember to size it up and see what works.
A set of 8 sizes: http://www.thetoolwarehouse.net/shop/VIM-XZN100.html

www.metalnerd.com sells the serrated bit you need to hold the pulley for removal and installation, along with the appropriate size long bit you'd need for the alternator. See this page (scroll down): http://shop.metalnerd.com/index.cgi?code=3&cat=5

(says sold out, at the time of this posting)

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI

matteas

Veteran Member
TDI
15' tdi GSW
I had seen metalnerds tools but was interested in just the 12 point driver, however I can't figure out what size he uses. I had hoped to find the tool locally. Anyhow I may end up buying a set.

matteas

Veteran Member
TDI
15' tdi GSW
Stealth TdI thanks, I saw your thread, it inspired me to remove the pulley without removing the alternator. You saved me a couple of hours worth of work!