'57 Chevrolet Bel Air

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
Had dinner at a friend's house tonight and got a ride in a project that he has been working on for 20+ years, Thought that I would share...

Sixteen coats of hand rubbed lacquer...

Won best in show at his first meet!

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
It just amazes me that folks hold such 1940's technology in such a sought after place. I think that a lot of the mystic is really old people trying to relive their youth through these really mediocre cars.

Seriously, I owned some of those 1950's and 1960's cars in the day and always lusted after the European offerings that had real innovation in their DNA.

Great example of a restoration, other than the nonsense styling, of a really mediocre car.

Back in the day, car manufacturers pushed styling above any sort of engineering advancement. Such a shame how that made cars from that era so boring.

Last edited:

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (Enroute BB).......2017 Jetta 1.4 turbo 5M ....................
....nice pic, sailor..........

V-8 is a 265 or a 283........... hope it's not a PowerGlide!

ez

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
The attention to detail that Ron put into this restoration is incredible. The cylinder walls were so badly scored that he could not use the original block because it would have had to have been bored and would no longer be a 283. He was, however, able to find a good block with the same date code as the original. Helps that he's a now retired Chevrolet dealer parts manager.

Last edited:

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
V-8 is a 265 or a 283........... hope it's not a PowerGlide!
283 would have been correct for the year.

Had a 1955 with a cast iron PG and 1rst gear would not move the car anymore. Because of an angry girls father I had to move rather quickly, so me, the girl and all of our belongings moved about 3 miles away driving only in reverse.

Last edited:

waltzconmigo

Veteran Member
TDI
none
look at the space in the engine bay, i was not born yet but i envy the room available to work on a car of that era. tell your friend that his work/time put in is appreciated. wonder what that would get in Cuba, with all functioning parts?

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
No. but apparently you can make this kind of stuff up.

With me, a true story. Of course, being the young buck that I was, I knocked her up as quickly as Mother Nature allowed and I have no clue as to why, but she is still by my side.:cool:

waltzconmigo

Veteran Member
TDI
none
rattler---I may not have too much good to say about you but the fact that you took responsibility for your part in said actions, says a lot about your character if not your personality.:p hope you guys are happy to this day and all others moving forward.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
look at the space in the engine bay, i was not born yet but i envy the room available to work on a car of that era. tell your friend that his work/time put in is appreciated. wonder what that would get in Cuba, with all functioning parts?
Everything works, including the tube-type radio and the "Wonder Bar" automatic tuner.

S2000_guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Sportwagen TDI
That is a beautiful restoration of a classic car. Please express my admiration for the quality of his work to your friend...

waltzconmigo

Veteran Member
TDI
none
I am not knowledgeable about older/classic cars, so I have no idea of the actual value of the car but whether this is considered as a rare/valuable specimen or not, it looks like your buddy has done a fantastic job on the upkeep/restoration, as long as he is happy, not much matters beyond that. (as long as the wife/SO has no problems with the money/time spent in the project).

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
I...(as long as the wife/SO has no problems with the money/time spent in the project).
His wife has been right there with him every step of the way. She even has 50s sunglasses and a scarf that flows in the breeze when they cruise.

waltzconmigo

Veteran Member
TDI
none
sounds like they are in it together and all is well. love to here about the scarf and sunglasses. I like to see any old "things" given new life even when it is something that my father (older generations) will have more appreciation for.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
The air intake should be pointed slightly to the right (battery) side and not directly over the upper radiator hose. The riveted-on plaque should be pointed straight ahead.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
Thanks, Jon. I'll tell him next time that I see him. It apparently hasn't been that big a deal, however, given his trophy and award count! :D

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
rattler---I may not have too much good to say about you but the fact that you took responsibility for your part in said actions, says a lot about your character if not your personality.:p hope you guys are happy to this day and all others moving forward.
Thanks for that. Just because I have an opinion, does not mean I particularly hated the old iron, just that I have an opinion. One of my dream cars back in the day was a built 1956 Chev 2 door post.

Ya I think "happy" has a lot to do about mutual respect. Respecting someone elses point of view even if you don't hold that view really says a lot about how you and that person relate.

Last edited:

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
Thanks for that. Just because I have an opinion, does not mean I particularly hated the old iron, just that I have an opinion. One of my dream cars was a built 1956 Chev 2 door post.
My father had a '56 Chevy Nomad when I was a kid. I'd like to have that today!

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
The air intake should be pointed slightly to the right (battery) side and not directly over the upper radiator hose. The riveted-on plaque should be pointed straight ahead.

I have a story about that, as well. I had a 1959 Chev that had a long air cleaner snorkel and with the snorkel pointed right at the battery and because the choke didn't work right, the car would backfire on a cold start and blew up 2 batteries before I figured it out.

Does look like that in the pic, the snorkel might be resting on the radiator hose and could wear a hole in the hose.

Last edited:

2many diesels

Veteran Member
TDI
rabbit pickup 1z swap Audi A4 Quattro ALH. 02 Beetle TDI. 99 Golf TDI. 03 Wagon TDI. 914 Porsche ALH t
Very nice car...
My parents had the same car, yellow and white..and was complete. Only problem was the shift linkage was a little sloppy. Mom *****ed one too many times having to push it out of the parking space at the store. My father sold it for 50 bucks. I was 12. It has affected me to this day. Thats why when my wife complains about a piece of missing trim, it goes in one ear and out the other.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
My father had a '56 Chevy Nomad when I was a kid. I'd like to have that today!
Back in the day, my partner in crime's mother had a 55-57 Pontiac Safari which was Pontiac's version of the Chev Nomad. I would just love to have that car today................

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
Back in the day, my partner in crime's mother had a 55-57 Pontiac Safari which was Pontiac's version of the Chev Nomad. I would just love to have that car today................
Ol'Rattler said:
It just amazes me that folks hold such 1940's technology in such a sought after place. I think that a lot of the mystic is really old people trying to relive their youth through these really mediocre cars.

Seriously, I owned some of those 1950's and 1960's cars in the day and always lusted after the European offerings that had real innovation in their DNA.

Great example of a restoration, other than the nonsense styling, of a really mediocre car.

Back in the day, car manufacturers pushed styling above any sort of engineering advancement. Such a shame how that made cars from that era so boring.
So, what is it?? :rolleyes:

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (Enroute BB).......2017 Jetta 1.4 turbo 5M ....................
good call (question, actually) 'sailor.........

ez