Does this fuel nozzle adaptor fit the mk7 TDI's too?

Shife

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE DSG White/Beige
That's the one I bought. I haven't had to use it to pump fuel, but it does fit. Mine is tucked in a corner by the spare tire.

cane929

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW TDI DSG S
Is that used in case the pump fuel nozzle too big?

C C

TDI
GSW
My experience. Those big diesel nozzles are for commercial trucks with big ole saddle tanks and usually deliver fuel at a much higher rate than a passenger vehicle can handle. Even my old truck that will accept the big nozzle can not handle the volume that comes out unless I baby the trigger to minimize the flow and it still makes a mess. The Golf filler neck is considerably smaller and an adapter prevents the auto shut off from working, expect a mess using it.

User beware.

Shife

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE DSG White/Beige
My experience. Those big diesel nozzles are for commercial trucks with big ole saddle tanks and usually deliver fuel at a much higher rate than a passenger vehicle can handle. Even my old truck that will accept the big nozzle can not handle the volume that comes out unless I baby the trigger to minimize the flow and it still makes a mess. The Golf filler neck is considerably smaller and an adapter prevents the auto shut off from working, expect a mess using it.

User beware.
It's meant for an emergency so that you can use a commercial pump if no passenger vehicle pumps are available. Not meant for daily use.

manyVAGs

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI
User beware.
I have never tried one of these pumps but I have been told that many have the option for different flow rates. Is this true?

mishkaya

TDIClub Contributor
TDI
'06 Jetta 5MT, '10 JSW MT, '14 JSW 6MT
Before I order one or if anyone has a suggestion that's better?
New OEM Volkswagen/VW and Audi TDI Diesel Fuel Nozzle Adapter https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0089C061E/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_eRmXvbRZY3YQ0
Yes, I am sure it works just fine on the newer models. You can get that same item cheaper elsewhere if you care to look. I recommend having one, not so much for the truck nozzles; but rather for those stations (and yes they are out there) that use the gasoline sized nozzles on the auto diesel pumps. Using the adapter beats being stranded in my book.

C C

TDI
GSW
Yes, I am sure it works just fine on the newer models. You can get that same item cheaper elsewhere if you care to look. I recommend having one, not so much for the truck nozzles; but rather for those stations (and yes they are out there) that use the gasoline sized nozzles on the auto diesel pumps. Using the adapter beats being stranded in my book.
Gasoline nozzles on a diesel pump is something I never noticed probably because it would not have been an issue with the truck. Knock on wood, it hasn't been an issue here in the boondocks.

Common sense with gps, finding a suitable filling station shouldn't be an emergency when the car is capable of 50+ mpg.

acrossthepond

Veteran Member
TDI
several now 2016 Mk7 Golf GTD DSG
I also find it useful if you ever fill from a can .

Fuel can nozzles are too small to release the 'mis-fuelling' device fully and it takes ages otherwise to fill.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
The VW adapter costs $10 - $12 (depending on where you buy it). Believe it or not, BMW sells the exact same kit (adapter/gloves in a plastic tube) for less money. I went to my local BMW dealer and bought one for $7.50 (plus tax). It is also pretty easy to make your own adapter from standard plumbing parts if you are feeling handy. More info here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=3259685&postcount=21

Have Fun!

Don

P.S. BMW part number is: 16 11 0 440 157

Nutty 5.0

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW SEL TDI 6MT
Thanks for everyone's help and input. Yes, I used to drive CDL trucks for years so I'm familiar with the big nozzle and its horrible to try and use on anything but a big tank like a large truck. This is just in case I get stuck I'd rather have an option. Went to my usual local station and the car diesel pumps were out of service. So had me thinking.

Great to know about the BMW version being cheaper!

goes2fast

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GolfS, GTI 18s, H&R springs, Stage 2
I had a problem while on vacation in Montana, the station I went to had gas size nozzles on their diesel pumps, so I couldn't get fuel there, and had to go to a different station, and pay a higher price for my fuel. :mad:

boy412

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen
This. I had no idea about the "safety switch" and could not add fuel to my car at the station I stopped at. Their diesel nozzle was "gasoline sized".

Not a bad gadget to have in the car...

TorqueMaster

TDI
Mk7 Golf 6Sp, Pure White
This might be a silly question, but wouldn't a gasoline sized nozzle be fine since it's smaller? I haven't actually fueled mine up yet so I guess I'm confused...is there truck size diesel nozzles, car sized diesel nozzles and then gas size nozzles?

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE
This might be a silly question, but wouldn't a gasoline sized nozzle be fine since it's smaller? I haven't actually fueled mine up yet so I guess I'm confused...is there truck size diesel nozzles, car sized diesel nozzles and then gas size nozzles?
Most new VW, and many older ones have a MISFUEL ADAPTOR installed...
It prevents a nozzel that is too small from going in the hole...
It has two flaps that the bigger diesel (old leaded) nozzel must push at the same time to open, to let the nozzel go in...
So too small, no luck...too big, no luck.

SpecialTest

TDI
'15 GSW TDI S
Do european models have the misfuel adaptor?

I recently had to use the little nozzle adaptor thing to fill up with diesel with the large high-flow pumps at a truck stop, and even being as careful as I could, I managed to get diesel down the side of the car. What a PITA.

acrossthepond

Veteran Member
TDI
several now 2016 Mk7 Golf GTD DSG
Do european models have the misfuel adaptor?

I recently had to use the little nozzle adaptor thing to fill up with diesel with the large high-flow pumps at a truck stop, and even being as careful as I could, I managed to get diesel down the side of the car. What a PITA.
No they don't.

You can order one from VW as I did (it was listed as a workshop tool)

Last edited:

capitan828

TDI
none yet
I realize this thread is old, but just so you guys know you can just remove the restrictor on the filler neck. Its not that hard and you can reinstall it in case you ever need to go to the dealer for warranty purposes.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
I realize this thread is old, but just so you guys know you can just remove the restrictor on the filler neck. Its not that hard and you can reinstall it in case you ever need to go to the dealer for warranty purposes.
I suspect that it is a situation where some model years - yes, and some model years -no. The restrictors were add on items at first but I'm pretty that the newer ones are pretty much built-in to the tank design and harder to remove and replace.

Have Fun!

Don

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
My golf is an mk7 2015 and I was able to remove the restrictor fine.
Care to explain how you removed it? I would like to remove mine as I never know where I might have to fill up when on the road for work. At first glance, it's hard to tell how to remove it while maintaining its original form for possible future reinstallment.

It looks different than the one in this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rnU3Bu1DT8
That is too simple, maybe I'm overthinking it

Last edited:

capitan828

TDI
none yet
Iv got some pictures showing how to do it it but this forum doesnt make it easy to post pix. I dont feel like going threw the hasle. I can email somebody the pix and maybe they can post them.

But the restricor is 2 pieces. First look down your fill neck and you'll see the holes on the restricor on each side. I used a pair of snap ring pliers in the two holes and turned it counter clock wise. That releases it and youll need to line up a tap thats on it to be able to fish it out. The second piece thats under the first one also has two tabs that need to lined up and you fish it out as well.
The big truck stop fuel nozzles still wont fit in the fill neck even without the restricor but its still makes it 10 times easier to full up with it and not make a big mess. No more need for silly adapters that are just gonna trip fuel in your trunk.

Grigg3

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta wagon, 15 Golf wagon
I took some pictures, this really is easy.

Filled my 2015 GSW for first time this evening and was surprised and confused by the widget in the filler. Haven't needed one on past and other TDI or any other diesel...

Makes sense to be able to use whatever filler the station has, sometimes the big truck pumps is all there is.

The instructions above are correct. Use a pair of pointy pliers in the 2 little round holes and turn the thing about 1/8 turn counterclockwise, it kind of clicks and frees up. With the same pliers or a bent pick fish the thing out, it may need to come out sideways.
Next fish the second part out, the one with trap door. If mine needed turning any to unlatch it was extra easy. Fish it out with a couple hooked picks or whatever works for you. Hard to grab onto it but once you do it is not hard to remove.
Pictures are before, the innards, and after.