Appointment horizon extended

Tony45

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI 2-door 6MT (BB - 4/18)
I noticed that the time ahead of turn-in appointments has been extended to four months at my dealership (now it’s January and appointment calendar open to end of May). I’ll start looking for a December turn-in appointment in August.

Last edited:

Rhys

TDI
JettaSportsWagon
Thanks for the info

Thanks for the info. I am will do the same thing.

I will turn the car in Dec 2018 with 80,000 miles and 5 years of ownership. Should get $24,500 and only paid $28,000.

Love the car - Hate to turn it in, but it's been a good ride!:)

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
There may well be a LOT of people waiting for December to turn in their cars. It could fill up fast. Can you make a December appointment now? I do not know how far ahead you can schedule.

Have Fun!

Don

Tony45

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for the info. I am will do the same thing.
I will turn the car in Dec 2018 with 80,000 miles and 5 years of ownership. Should get $24,500 and only paid $28,000.
Love the car - Hate to turn it in, but it's been a good ride!:)
Same here, hate to give up the car but you can’t do better financially. For me, counting buyback 23.5K + 1K goodwill + 300 from Bosch, I’ll end up getting more than I paid for it after 5 years and 9 months ownership. The only way to lose now is if the car is totaled before turn-in.

Last edited:

rambalu80

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 VW JSW TDI DSG
I have received my offer from VW in Jan 2017 but have not signed/notarized and sent it back to them yet. To be able to look for appointments, must one sign and accept the offer?

After I received my offer, I was informed that if I accepted it, I would have to schedule my return within a few weeks from that date. Is this true?

Also, did you all get the Bosch settlement checks or does that only happen after turning in the car?

Tony45

Veteran Member
TDI
I have received my offer from VW in Jan 2017 but have not signed/notarized and sent it back to them yet. To be able to look for appointments, must one sign and accept the offer?
After I received my offer, I was informed that if I accepted it, I would have to schedule my return within a few weeks from that date. Is this true?
Also, did you all get the Bosch settlement checks or does that only happen after turning in the car?
1) No, that’s not correct. After you receive the offer and accept it, you can sit on it until you’re good and ready to schedule the turn-in. You MUST sign, notarize, and send back BY SEPTEMBER 1, ‘18. After that you have until end of December to schedule the turn-in. Make sure of the days your dealer has available slot for your turn-in. Do not wait for accepting!
2) You receive the Bosch check after you turn-in car.

rambalu80

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 VW JSW TDI DSG
1) No, that’s not correct. After you receive the offer and accept it, you can sit on it until you’re good and ready to schedule the turn-in. You MUST sign, notarize, and send back BY SEPTEMBER 1, ‘18. After that you have until end of December to schedule the turn-in. Make sure of the days your dealer has available slot for your turn-in. Do not wait for accepting!
2) You receive the Bosch check after you turn-in car.
Thank you Tony!

JimJamie

TDI
'13 Passat 6 sp. 57k mi. VW fairing kit all around.
Page 2 of my offer which I got today states:

You also will be able to to complete the buyback within 90 days of your acceptance of this offer and scheduling an appointment.

Frankly I have no idea what the sentence means. Are they promising me, or telling me?

Between acceptance and scheduling (or closing?) can I drive 1042 miles per month for three months and see no drop in my payment?
My calculation shows a $500 or so drop every 5000 miles starting at 60,000 miles. But that is pre signed acceptance. Which is correct? Or are there two sets of rules?
I'm at 57600 miles now.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
<snip> can I drive 1042 miles per month for three months and see no drop in my payment?
<snip>
The actual mileage deduct is determined from the mileage on the odometer at the turn-in appointment. The mileage you enter when registering is just an estimate.

JimJamie

TDI
'13 Passat 6 sp. 57k mi. VW fairing kit all around.
My calculations were based on driving over 1042 miles per month.
But if I keep it under 1042 per month my payback amount won't have a mileage based change. Correct? I can keep going until December and not take a mileage hit.

rambalu80

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 VW JSW TDI DSG
Page 2 of my offer which I got today states:

You also will be able to to complete the buyback within 90 days of your acceptance of this offer and scheduling an appointment.

Frankly I have no idea what the sentence means. Are they promising me, or telling me?
My understanding is you can get it all taken care of within 90 days but you are not obligated to. Also, if 90 days was a stipulation, then I don't see why I can see appointment dates 5 months away in June.

I called the claims line about this a few days back before I submitted my signed buyback approval letter and they informed me that once my signed documentation is accepted, I have until Dec 31st to turn the car in but recommended that I do it around September and not wait until the last day. They also told me to make sure the Notary's stamp was valid at least until the date I plan to turn in, because if the Notary's stamp is expired before turning the car in, the paperwork becomes invalid and will have to be redone.

Tony45

Veteran Member
TDI
My understanding is you can get it all taken care of within 90 days but you are not obligated to. Also, if 90 days was a stipulation, then I don't see why I can see appointment dates 5 months away in June.
I called the claims line about this a few days back before I submitted my signed buyback approval letter and they informed me that once my signed documentation is accepted, I have until Dec 31st to turn the car in but recommended that I do it around September and not wait until the last day. They also told me to make sure the Notary's stamp was valid at least until the date I plan to turn in, because if the Notary's stamp is expired before turning the car in, the paperwork becomes invalid and will have to be redone.
I called the claim line today and was told that as long as your claim is accepted and you’re given the offer from VW, then it is good until you turn-in the car, regardless of how far in the future the notary stamp is valid for (same as any other transactions). Could even have the person notarizing the paper dead!

Last edited:

Tony45

Veteran Member
TDI
I plan to make my reservation in August (instead of September) for a turn-in as far as I can in 2018. We have one dealer in town and the next one is 40 miles away.
I noticed the guys answering the phone at VW helpline are not much more knowledgeable of the facts as you may hope. I had to correct him a few times in this last call.