Where the buyback cars go

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
What other market?

Outside of the developed world, diesel fuel meeting the requirements to keep these engines running may not be readily available.

Within the developed world (and many places outside of it) ... anywhere outside of the USA is going to insist on a different set of standards. Metric instruments. Amber rear turn signals. Different airbag and seat belt system calibration. Rear fog lights. Different headlights. ISO symbols instead of English-language labels. In some cases, the steering wheel on the other side of the car. And on and on.

gulfcoastguy

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI sold, Mazda 3 purchased
They go to car heaven. Where there are diesel fountains, it's always 70 degrees, and Oilhammer runs the service department.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
They go to car heaven. Where there are diesel fountains, it's always 70 degrees, and Oilhammer runs the service department.
LOL Good one. Are all of the replacement parts genuine VW with no Chinesium and the Diesel fountains are fifty two Cetane?

BleachedBora

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'81 DMC-12, '15 GL350 CDI 275 hp/448 tq - '81 Caddy CJAA, '05 E320 CDI 250hp/450 tq, '23 ID4 AWD Pro S Plus
I'd take the Autozone part out - that'd be rough on me...

Whitedog - does this mean California is heaven? They are required statewide to have a minimum of 53 cetane...

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
Whitedog - does this mean California is heaven?.
I may have to cancel my order with you after that one. :p I'm not a SNOB but I'm very close, so to insinuate I said something good about the state-that-must-not-be-named ... Well, just grrrr.

usarmy132

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
Just found another place just outside Chicago. On Juliet Road and the highway 55. This parking lot used for flea market during the summertime I guess now it's used by vw. so many nice cars just standing without anyone taking care of them. Maybe just maybe my car is also there. It is a sad sight to see. Will upload pictures tonight

gulfcoastguy

Veteran Member
TDI
Dropping off my JSW will be a bit like taking my dog on that final trip to the vet. Of course now I have a new dog because life goes on.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Would that not be oilhammer's version of hell? He gets to fix cars for all eternity!

gulfcoastguy

Veteran Member
TDI
Would that not be oilhammer's version of hell? He gets to fix cars for all eternity!
Well there are two ways to look at that. First, he loves his job and delights in getting his hands dirty so it's heaven for him. Second he secretly hates his job and pulls wings off of flies so he gets sent to the bad place.

gulfcoastguy

Veteran Member
TDI
That reminds me. Note to self: don't fill up the friday before the monday turn in. An 1/8th of a tank will be plenty for the final drive.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I hoping that the refuel light turns on Friday night and that we limp into the dealer on Saturday. Speaking of which, I guess I need to check the fuel level in the wife's car tonight. I think if I top it off now, she can make it the two weeks until turn in.

Greg V

How about banger racing?

[FONT=&quot]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_LHSQNAbgg

At least they would have a chance before going thru the auto shredder

[FONT=&quot]Love seeing the Jags and Volvo's get wrecked.[/FONT]
[/FONT]

Last edited:

TDILeo

Veteran Member
TDI
CW 2011 Golf TDI 6M Repurchased By VW 1/30/17 1985 VW GTI
It would be interesting if you could follow the VIN of your buyback vehicle to its ultimate destination.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I found a lot in Orlando. By S Orange Blossom and Consulate Dr. Noticed it from the Bline tollway so couldn't take pictures.

MrSprdSheet

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 JSW TDI
Pruitt (from OKLAHOMA) will do Trump's wishes
It's deeper than Trump, to this guy. He thinks he's on a mission to let the states most dependent upon pollution, keep polluting. First, there will be his "Rule of Law" thing, to destroy federal authority over the environment, accept when he tells 15 states they can't set emissions regs. Then, if Gorsuch has his way with the Chevron doctrine, there won't be any rules of law that can be survive SCOTUS review.

Last edited:

Ram4Sam

TDI
2015 Jetta TDI SE
If you turned in So Cal, here they are......Storage lot on an old air force base. I saw a transporter head down a side road near my work, followed it here. As I was taking the picture, Barney Fife showed up and told me to move on.....:eek:

Sam

The year since this post has flown by.....just like all the pictures are gone that I posted, the cars are now gone too......last couple were hauled out this morning.

Sam

mz1

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 GTD Stage III / 2015 Touareg TDI LUX Stage II
The year since this post has flown by.....just like all the pictures are gone that I posted, the cars are now gone too......last couple were hauled out this morning.
Sam
Ok so the big question is ...gone where to? are they being crushed (old/high mileage) or fixed and but back on the market (low miles)? :confused::confused::confused:

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
As far as I know, VW does not have approval to fix and resell anything but the 2015 "Generation 3" 4 cylinder models.

The Pontiac Silverdome was still surrounded by countless parked TDIs when they finally imploded the building in December 2017, so at least some of them are still out there ...

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
All well and good if you have a specific VIN (e.g. one that you previously owned). Doesn't give a collective result about a "class" of vehicles, although if a decent number of people posted up something here about their own previous vehicles, it might give some indication of what's going on ...

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Many have searched their old VIN and most listed as titles being reassigned to Michigan. Nothing since then.