GTB2260 on 3.0TDI, max safe boost?

BuzzKen

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'10 Touareg TDI, '09 335D, '10 X5D
Anybody got any ideas on what max safe boost for the turbo would be for a GTB2260VK on a 3.0TDI?

devonutopia

Top Post Dawg
TDI
PD300 Skoda Fabia
Is that the stock turbo for that lump?

I would imagine with a stock engine that turbo would have no worries boosting to 2.3 to 2.5 bar on a remap. I know people pushing that sort of boost safely on 1.9 application.

BuzzKen

TDI
It's on a 3.0, not a 1.9. Running the same boost numbers will grenade the turbo right quick. It comes stock on certain versions of the 3.0.

BuzzKen

TDI
Driving alh. Just let Mark know so we can move forward pls. Thx.

This will help with tuning the '13 and newer as well.

Last edited:

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
audi a4 2.5 tdi 98 quatrro 6speed
i ran 2.4 bar of boost on a gt2265 hybrid, ran the same on a gtb2260vk hybrid also with no issues- clutch did not stand a chance so no way to test the car to it's full potential... i don't think 2.5 bar of boost on a stock gtb2260vk is too much...

devonutopia

Top Post Dawg
TDI
PD300 Skoda Fabia
Not knowing how the 3 litre engine works in relation to this turbo compared to a 1.9 doesn't make it easy for me to comment. I can only use my personal experience on a 1.9 PD130 lump.

Why can't the same turbo run the same boost on a higher displacement engine? That's what I am wondering (and I am no mechanic so genuinely interested to know)

DJGonzo

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Jetta 2.0 BHW
Why can't the same turbo run the same boost on a higher displacement engine? That's what I am wondering (and I am no mechanic so genuinely interested to know)
Because it probably flows more than an 8v 1.9l. You need to know flow to know where your motor will sit in the compressor efficiency map.

If a motor flows more than another, boost will be lower for the same power output. Otherwise you run the risk of overspinning the turbo and kablam!

Volumetric efficiency basically.

rspring

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta CR; 2011 BMW 335D
I'm just guessing 35lbs. It will be interesting to see what it really is.

hatemi

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A6 4F 3.0TDI
1.8bar is still safeish. It will not explode but the expecter life of the turbo is not going to like it.

And you can burn all the fuel you get from the pumps on certain 176kw modes even with stock turbo...Good car ruined by CP4 pump.

bhodgkiss

Veteran Member
TDI
AFN Passat Wagon
You'll be pushing 50% more air in with a 3.0ltr lump vs a 1.9!
Revs will be similar.
So same boost, much greater mass flow

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
1.8bar is still safeish. It will not explode but the expecter life of the turbo is not going to like it.

And you can burn all the fuel you get from the pumps on certain 176kw modes even with stock turbo...Good car ruined by CP4 pump.
If you taper boost appropriately is it really that hard on the turbo?

It should theoretically be able to run 28-30psi in a certain region of the rpm range shouldn't it? I calculated 28psi up to 3800RPM and taper to 22psi by 5000rpm based on a similar compressor map, what others had said about max flow, and how the turbo actually spools based on a log.

hatemi

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A6 4F 3.0TDI
That sounds reasonable. Then all that is needed a pump change. Stock one sucks.