ALH Connecting Rod

turbobuilder

Veteran Member
TDI
Bora, 2001, Custom mix silver
Does anyone have a source for an upgraded con-rod for an alh engine? Preferably H-beam type. If not, does anyone have a spare rod they would sell or loan me so that I can get some custom rods made?
Thanks

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The stock rod is a very good unit, and is likely one of the last things you'd need to upgrade. The lower end of these engines is probably sturdy enough to handle 200% the output of a stock engine.

KERMA

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
Does anyone have a source for an upgraded con-rod for an alh engine? Preferably H-beam type. If not, does anyone have a spare rod they would sell or loan me so that I can get some custom rods made?
Thanks
Simon's rods

I can lend you a rod if you want, just reimburse the shipping cost. Maybe we can get a GB of some sort going to keep the unit cost down. How about pistons while you're at it?

TdiRacing

Vendor
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Cup
Saenz rods are about $900. They can make what ever you want. I had some made for a Celica for a friend. They are really nice.

turbobuilder

Veteran Member
TDI
Bora, 2001, Custom mix silver
As it turns out, this is my last upgrade. I'll likely get some pistons too. I'd be happy to work on a group buy if some people are interested.

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
Just to clarify, the CentralVWAudi rods are I-beam rods, not H-beam. Just a small nitpicky detail.

Mark@MaloneTuning

Blaine, Washington and Vancouver, British Columbia
TDI
'14 GSW TDI, '11 Golf TDI, '97 Golf Variant Syncro 1.9L TDI, '96 Golf 1.9L ASV TDI, '93 Eurovan Westfalia 1.9L TDI, '09 BMW 335d, '17 BMW 328d
Just to clarify, the CentralVWAudi rods are I-beam rods, not H-beam. Just a small nitpicky detail.
... and if I remember correctly, Simon had to shave the bottom of the cylinders a bit to clear the thicker rods. Don't quote me on that though. Hopefully he'll chime in and confirm this.

Spike_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk II Golf
Personally I think that if the pump timing is correct you won't have any problems with bending rods.
If there was a custom piston GB I'd be in.

tdi rs

Veteran Member
TDI
mk2 16v tdi
I had my timing as retarded as i could get where it would start when cold and perform ok when hot,the problem is the std rods arnt strong enough,they bent when the power went above 220hp.I did have to grind the bottom of the bores but well worth it,i would say the std rods on a well chipped/set up engine would be good for no more than 230hp.I beam are the stronger rods to use H beam in a tdi wouldnt be much stronger than std.The rods i used also cost me £900!!

CNGVW

Bob Mann Auto, 111 High St, Pembroke MA 02359
TDI
Many TDI Jettas and a Beetle Race car run 2010 jetta tdi cup car build roadrace

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
Is titanium a viable material for a diesel rod?? I know it is lighter.
unless you're going mtdi you're only revving to 6300ish

could just about use tungsten without any concern for the mass

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03... Faster than yours =]
Wow.. 12 year old thread.. good stuff

I've been running the original design Integrated Engineering H beam rods for quite some time now.. They've been able to tolerate my constant abuse.. 42psi/6200rpm