INA: TDI product offerings -– billet CCV 1.9/2.0/2.5 TDI FLUIDAMPR & more

INA

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2.5 TDI
If I buy one of these do you think I will gain any power? I have a CR with a stage1 tune.
We don't promote Fluidampr's as a power adder so if you make any power over OEM then consider that a bonus.

Lofty86

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk5 VW Golf 2.0 16v PD140
Mamock, although as stated they are not sold for power, I can tell you know that a crank with less vibrations going through it got me more power on my A-Series engines (4 of them).

I'm not saying you 100% will, but I did.

I think when I have some penny's I will be getting one. Mainly to quiet the engine down and less wear on parts. Power will be good if it cones though.

D

madcowintucson

Veteran Member
TDI
golf
I can say my engine is loud but idles very smooth with bfi yellow mounts a smf and the damper. Seat of pants vibes is at least stock, not to mention, if its actually working its the last one I will have to buy and I have peace of mind. I mean lets face it, factory rubber was tuned to a particular combination of parts, change almost anything and it is out of tune. Sure it will still work some, but I do not believe it is working in its frequency range at all. I have over 100,000 miles on the fluidamper and I have no belt wear, no leaking seal or anything bad. So if one is skeptical about frequency and harmonics, well if it was destructing I think I would know by now and my engine is far from stock. Also, my first SPEC smf clutch was super loud and chattered all the time at idle bad, I switch over to a luk clutch from pep boys (lifetime warranty) and put my damper on when engine was down and it make no noise or chatter at all.

A5INKY

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI, 2002 Eurovan Westphalia VR6
I think I am sold. This will be my next car part purchase. I will download one of those iPhone apps that analyze vibration and take some before and after data when I do it to see if the difference can be measured. My car vibes are so significant it should be a good test case.

Nash_TDI

Veteran Member -TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2000 Silver Jetta TDI
I think I am sold. This will be my next car part purchase. I will download one of those iPhone apps that analyze vibration and take some before and after data when I do it to see if the difference can be measured. My car vibes are so significant it should be a good test case.
If you decide to order one I may get one too.

robnitro

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI GLS silver
What's also interesting about fluid dampers is that they can be used to balance tires.

I remember reading a while back that truck tires could be balance using a fluid, but they were using small beads that fit into the valve stem. Then you pressurize the tire and the balls (which act like a fluid) dynamically counter imbalance.
http://www.innovativebalancing.com/index.php

It's nothing magical, just a good way to balance things dynamically... The rubber one sort of does the same thing but has less "range" of movement, so it doesn't get all of the vibrations out.

INA, you said that the underdrive pulley cost $35 to make, and sold for 100 or more.

That said, I don't see why a damper machined, welded together, and filled with fluid should cost around $400!

Digital Corpus

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'97 B4 w/ 236K mi body, 46K mi soul
In terms of materials, yeah, it's expensive. R&D costs have to be factored in, which I given that the part has to endure temperature extremes would make a difference. Due to the fact that a fluid can have drastically different fluid dynamic properties near freezing than it would 60 F hotter than that, I kind of get it. The rest though is marketing and maintained profit margins, to a degree.

INA

TDI
2.5 TDI
That said, I don't see why a damper machined, welded together, and filled with fluid should cost around $400!
There really is no Research & Development in taking an OEM pulley , giving it to a machinist who has 6 months training in lathe work and having him turn a chunk of aluminium into a pulley.

At Fluidampr , there is a design process which takes countless hours in CAD. It is not as simple as filling a open void with fluid as there are design constraints. Once that is done the part is 3D printed and tested for any fitment issues. If fitment issues arise it is back to square one. If no fitment issues arise then a prototype is made. Once that prototype is made , it is then tested for results and then goes into a production cycle of 50 units.

Assume that every new application Fluidampr gets involved in takes them the entire production run of 50 to "break even". I can't speak for cost of materials but I do know OEM viscous dampners (TTRS) are 5 times more than the cheaper Rubber dampner found in a similar application (Rabbit). That being said , If we could all make viscous dampners in house then there would not be a need for companies like ATI & Fluidampr.

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
Fluiddampr

I was ready to buy the 1.8t one before but then I thought somebody said it was designed for the 1.8t harmonics but now there is this conversation. I'll put it on my wish list for the future for when my oem dampener bites the dust. Thanks for the knowledge update. If you hear this part might be discontinued please update this :) thanks!

robnitro

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI GLS silver
I was ready to buy the 1.8t one before but then I thought somebody said it was designed for the 1.8t harmonics but now there is this conversation. I'll put it on my wish list for the future for when my oem dampener bites the dust. Thanks for the knowledge update. If you hear this part might be discontinued please update this :) thanks!
It's not tuned to any specific frequency, its dynamic. Which is kind of killing the argument of R+D driving up the price. Most of the R+D is to get something that fits the engine and can fit the fluid. No magic squirrels inside balancing your engine. Some mention needing spacers to get the 1.8T one to line up with the TDI serp belt. So, it's sort of a hack, but I'm sure it works fine... to repeat my point, it doesn't require tuning of frequency like a rubber based mount/damper needs. That's the "magic" that kills their argument of R+D for every car :rolleyes:

I'm all for this idea, like in tires. It would even be great to do it in a "dual mass" flywheel- if there were a fluid that could handle that heat.

But $400 is too steep for me and others. But if it works well for you guys to sell it for $400, that's good for you.

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
It's not tuned to any specific frequency, its dynamic. Which is kind of killing the argument of R+D driving up the price. Most of the R+D is to get something that fits the engine and can fit the fluid. No magic squirrels inside balancing your engine. Some mention needing spacers to get the 1.8T one to line up with the TDI serp belt. So, it's sort of a hack, but I'm sure it works fine... to repeat my point, it doesn't require tuning of frequency like a rubber based mount/damper needs. That's the "magic" that kills their argument of R+D for every car :rolleyes:

I'm all for this idea, like in tires. It would even be great to do it in a "dual mass" flywheel- if there were a fluid that could handle that heat.

But $400 is too steep for me and others. But if it works well for you guys to sell it for $400, that's good for you.

I was there years ago until I was corrected:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=212911&page=9

struikie

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 335d E91
just ordered one...
will probably easy the loss of the balance shaft assembly on my BLB engine a bit...

JW

struikie

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 335d E91
please elaborate...
removing the b.s.a. brought some small vibrations...
just a tad more of them getting into the cab...

JW

INA

TDI
2.5 TDI
please elaborate...
removing the b.s.a. brought some small vibrations...
just a tad more of them getting into the cab...

JW
I am not a firm believer that the balance shaft design found on the A4 2.0 TDI's actually do anything for the end user based on there prone to fail design.

asap03

Veteran Member
TDI
G5 1.9TDI PD 2007 BXE
From Fluidampr FAQ:

Q: Will Fluidampr solve an out of balance condition?
A: No damper will compensate for an out of balance condition. The vibration damper is designed to reduce crankshaft torsional vibrations, not to balance the motor. It is a common misconception that a damper will “fix” an imbalance condition in the motor. This is absolutely not true. Only a professional balance job will solve that problem.

Nash_TDI

Veteran Member -TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2000 Silver Jetta TDI
I am not a firm believer that the balance shaft design found on the A4 2.0 TDI's actually do anything for the end user based on there prone to fail design.
I disagree with that statement. Having driven, chained, deleted, and geared cars. The BSM module definitely does something, just the original chained design is failure prone.

INA

TDI
2.5 TDI
From Fluidampr FAQ:

Q: Will Fluidampr solve an out of balance condition?
A: No damper will compensate for an out of balance condition. The vibration damper is designed to reduce crankshaft torsional vibrations, not to balance the motor. It is a common misconception that a damper will “fix” an imbalance condition in the motor. This is absolutely not true. Only a professional balance job will solve that problem.
:)
I disagree with that statement. Having driven, chained, deleted, and geared cars. The BSM module definitely does something, just the original chained design is failure prone.
I think you misunderstood my post. It does it's intended job yes but it is a prone to failure design which is why we swap them out and then use a fluidampr on motors like the 2.0 FSI.

darkhorse

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Golf GLS, '01 Dodge/Cummins
I didn't realize Fluidamper made on for VW's. When my OE damper deteriorated on my Dodge Cummins, I had a Fluidamper installed. I can feel a difference. It's smoother.

INA

TDI
2.5 TDI
I didn't realize Fluidamper made on for VW's. When my OE damper deteriorated on my Dodge Cummins, I had a Fluidamper installed. I can feel a difference. It's smoother.
Well hopefully alot more TDI owners will soon feel the same thing :D