Starter Solenoid?

bluecollarpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
Bora, 2001, Silver
Hi All,
I've occassionally been having problems starting my 2001 TDI Jetta. When I turn the key all lights are bright but when the starter is suppose to be engaged there is nothing, the battery seems dead. It sort of seems like the starter solenoid is not telling the starter to turn. If I turn the key on and off enough times it eventually turns over, like the battery is fresh.

Any suggestions?

bluecollarpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
Bora, 2001, Silver
I don't think it is the ignition switch because when I turn the key to start I hear a click under the hood in the area of the starter. I'm assuming it's the starter doing something but I'm not sure. I am going to take it to Batteries Plus and have the battery and alternator load tested (for free). Also, as I read the threads on bad ignition switches, it is not cold outside, about 50 degrees and very wet, humid. I'm not getting any other crazy simptoms, either; such as, blinker or rear defrost. If the battery and alternator load test ok, i'm going to pull the starter and check that.

I'm still open to suggestions. Thanks

lotzamiles

TDI
1996 Passat TDI Wagon
Pull the main wires between the battery and the starter, it sounds like there might be some corrosion on the connections. Clean everything.

Dr. Dotgain

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 TDI GL 5-speed
[ QUOTE ]
I'm still open to suggestions.

[/ QUOTE ]

My guess is clutch dust on the flywheel infiltrated the pivot that swings when starter engages flywheel. Mine locked up like that sometimes, but it more frequently would fail to disengage the flywheel for about a second after releasing the key. Got it cleaned & lubed by a professional. I was a wimp. The starter is under the battery, and I don't know where I put my Immobilizer codes....

bluecollarpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
Bora, 2001, Silver
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm still open to suggestions.

[/ QUOTE ]

My guess is clutch dust on the flywheel infiltrated the pivot that swings when starter engages flywheel. Mine locked up like that sometimes, but it more frequently would fail to disengage the flywheel for about a second after releasing the key. Got it cleaned & lubed by a professional. I was a wimp. The starter is under the battery, and I don't know where I put my Immobilizer codes....

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is a good probability. Where is my immobilizer code... /images/graemlins/confused.gif Thanks...

sat2825

Veteran Member
Had the same problem on my 2001 Jetta, and the dealer replaced it under warranty today - no questions asked.
If you're car has warranty, or maybe even under 100k, I would take it in, and try.
Apparently it's a common problem?

Good luck..

Joe