My sister is looking at a used 2005 Passat...

jimnms

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon 5-speed Tiptronic
My sister's Ford Van has been giving her a lot of problems lately, so she's wanting to get a new vehicle. She wants a car and not another van, and she's been kind of jealous of my TDI since I bought it. She found a 2005 Passat GLS TDI at a local Chrysler dealership and called me for advice. It has 91k miles on it, and they're asking $16k for it.

The only two things that came to mind at the time were that it's close to needing a timing belt change, and if the correct oil was used during oil changes. I'm assuming that the 2005 Passat requires 505.01 oil like my 2005 PD Jetta Wagon and needs the timing belt changed at 100k.

My other concern was her getting oil changes done. The nearest VW dealership is 50 miles from here, and I don't know if any of the local oil change places can do an oil change on a VW TDI-PD. I do my own oil changes, but when I got an inspection sticker at one, out of curiosity I asked and they said they had the oil but not the filter (I doubt they had the correct oil though). I really don't want to have to do her oil changes for her, but I can order the oil and filter for her when I get mine and find a place locally to do it.

I haven't seen the car in person, but I looked it up on their website. They have a lot of pictures of it, and the body and interior look like they're in excellent condition.

So first of all, is $16k a fair price for a 2005 Passat with 91k miles on it? Second, is there any way of confirming that the right oil has been used in it?

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta

jimnms said:
  • 2005 Passat GLS TDI w/balance shafts
  • local Chrysler dealership
  • 91k miles on it
  • asking $16k for it
  • it's close to needing a timing belt change,
  • if the correct oil was used during oil changes.
  • My other concern was her getting oil changes done
  • The nearest VW dealership is 50 miles from here
:eek:

Smokerr

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat Wagon GL,2005,Silver
Ok, the quick take on this is the oil pump chain failing with its associated balance shaft issue.

If she is willing to have that done and the cost along with the timing belt that needs to be changed, then she should negotiate from that basis.

Tany oil should be changed as well as the brakes are probably due.

It is a great handling and driving car.

I guess I don't understand the oil change problem. Buy the oil and filter from VW if she has to, and then have someone (you or local) change it. 50 miles is a nice trip to make in the Passat (about 2.5 gallons of fuel) to get the oil and filter, or it can be ordered in (though it may cost more)

jimnms

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon 5-speed Tiptronic
Does this balance shaft problem only effect 2005's? I did a quick search for diesel cars within 100 miles and found a 2004 Passat TDI with about the same mileage and they're asking less. I also found a 2004 MB C240 diesel wagon for the same price as the Passat.

DickSilver

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 B5.5V, 1996 B4V
2004 and 2005 Passat TDIs are the same car. BHW engine, weak chain drive for balance shaft module, ABSOLUTELY require VW 505.01 oil, documented for every change. A Mercedes C240 diesel wagon, is IMO, definitely worth a serious look at the same price. You will have to go to someone who is expert on that model in order to evaluate its condition.

vw4life

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg TDI
It looks like a passat TDI will only provide economical and pleasing service to a genuinely involved and blindedly loving owner. In this situation, with certain expected repairs a car like the B5.5 TDI wagon will provide an unparalleled combination of perceived quality, fuel economy, power, space, comfort, and utilitarianism.

To an owner wanting a turn-key, use and forget, point a to b vehicle, low maintenance vehicle the TDI passat will probably not provide a satisfactory VW ownership experience.

festivus

Veteran Member
I can't even imagine how much grief I would have received had I said this!

afarfalla said:
if your sister likes greasy hands then tell her to buy it, if she's smart she'll move on

johnboy00

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon, 2004 Jetta, 2003 Jetta wagon
festivus said:
I can't even imagine how much grief I would have received had I said this!
If you include the statement:

"I sold a 3yr old TDI for 90% of its initial value and will likely never have such a return on any vehicle I ever purchase again"

I won't give you any grief.:D

festivus

Veteran Member
I guess we'd all like to believe my resale experience was a direct result of the quality of the car, but it had everything to do with exclusivity in California, and a "perfect storm" with regards to my ads. I listed the car on eBay and autotrader concurrently, and was fortunate enough to have a bid of $20k when someone called on the autotrader ad. I had the luxury to just sit there and demand at least $20k for the car. I almost feel sorry for the guy who bought it. Basically, everything just came together perfectly. If what is going on with the car now was known then, it never would have happened. I just got profoundly lucky.