Warranty on new 2016 3.0 TDI

achilles

TDI
2009 JSW
I am about to purchase a new 2016 Audi Q5 TDI with 100 miles and discovered today that it does not carry the extended 10 year/120,000 mile emissions warranty on emissions systems, fuel systems, turbo charger and engine block.
Per Audi, the warranty is limited to previously owned vehicles. The four year/48,0000 mile new car warranty is the sole offering.
Has anyone have else navigated this issue and is it a safe purchase?
Thanks.

tdi_sport

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 pd tdi sport (limited edition) platinum grey and a 1996 dodge cummins diesel 4x4 5sp lots of mods and a 335d stock for now.
What a great bargaining chip!!! This would lower the purchase price by a great degree and open the door for affordable tuning at the same time!!!

skinnyv

TDI
13 passat tdi se
Everything I was told and read is Yes it is included. The brochure came in the car glove box along with the owners manual.

I’m not sure how we go back and argue this if there ever is an issue. I have the booklet and what I was told by the dealership.

The changes they made on the “new” cars are no different than previously owned, so how can they legally say they are excluded?

Who is “Per Audi”? The dealership or the manual that states all the legal and warranty jargon?

Last edited:

skinnyv

TDI
13 passat tdi se
I will stay tuned for more details, there have been other posters here who like me are under assumption it is in place.

I even mentioned as much with the guy trying to sell the extended warranty, and was not challenged by him either. It may be different dealerships are under different assumptions.

I am sticking with I have it, was told as such and also have a book in the glove compartment that if you read line by line does not say it’s for previously owned vehicles anywhere...... I will check it again.

skinnyv

TDI
13 passat tdi se
Here is some print. Look at dates of ownership, even notes acquiring up until December of 2019.... why would that be included?
Reading the attached, and what my dealer said I think we are covered.

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg, 2015 Q5, 2015 Golf
There is no exclusion of sold-as-new TDI’s that I see in the print. OP: why don’t you call the class action lawyers and get their reaction to what you were told?

bhuizer

TDI
2014 Toureg TDI, 2014 Q5 TDI, Past: 2012 Touareg TDI, 2012 Jetta TDI
Has anyone been given clarification on this one? 4yr/48k or 10yr/120k? The language in these documents is not extremely clear. It seems that any vehicle that was part of this emissions issue and received a fix should have the extended warranty. However, trying to convince VW and the dealer in 5-10 years might be tough if VW doesn't currently claim to acknowledge the warranty. I purchased a new '16 and was assuming per the documents that it was covered for the 10/120k, the dealer didn't have a clue about any of it or that the '14 I traded in had extended warranty.

Last edited:

bhuizer

TDI
I sent an email to one of the attorneys, we'll see if I get a response. I would like to have this confirmation in writing.

skinnyv

TDI
13 passat tdi se
If you find out otherwise I will cover my ears and just go by what 1) My dealer told me 2) the manual that was included in the car at purchase 3) what I decipher from reading above, and the theory that they can’t treat cars sold as new differently.... they all received the “fix” that presents the issue of these components waring out prematurely.

Let us know

bhuizer

TDI
Good news guys, I just received an email back from one of the lead attorneys Elizabeth Cabraser.

These "sold-as-new" 3.0 vehicles are protected by the Extended Emissions Warranty.

Last edited:

skinnyv

TDI
13 passat tdi se
Thanks for the update, we are loving our A7.... no regrets. Cheers to a long diesel life.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Good news guys, I just received an email back from one of the lead attorneys Elizabeth Cabraser.

These "sold-as-new" 3.0 vehicles are protected by the Extended Emissions Warranty.
That could be a life saver for those beasts. I have read they can be quite expensive to work on.

achilles

TDI
2009 JSW
Update.
After I forwarded a copy of the 3.0 TDI extended emissions warranty booklet to the Audi dealer, they concurred regarding the warranty. Additionally, I also contacted every Audi Dealer in Oregon and Washington and they agreed regarding the 10 emissions warranty.
Audi Customer Care USA offered stronger resistance.
After being told by their lower tier employees the new 2016 TDI vehicles only qualified for a 4 year/48,000 mile warranty, I was passed up the chain to the Audi Warranty Redemption Department.
I asked them to read page 7 of the 3.0 TDI emissions warranty booklet aloud to me and they quickly conceded that there is a 10 year emissions warranty for this specific vehicle. When I requested documentation of the exchange, I was advised the warranty booklet was sufficient evidence.
I'm selling back my 2009 VW Jetta TDI wagon on Wednesday and purchasing a new 2016 Audi 3.0 TDI Q5 immediately afterwards if all goes well.