approaching 400,000 miles

rockyrunner99

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Golf
So my car is approaching 400,000 miles. It is from Arizona originally, so it isnt too rusty, the hatch is getting bad though. Anyway, I am thinking about taking a trip out west, by myself. I live in Mi, I would go the northern rout out and be seeking out desolate places. The car has been well maintained, but has had no major work other than a timing belt. would you guys trust it? I do most the work myself and know the car well, I have had it 7 years now. I am thinking I will take it to the local guru and have him check it out first if I do decide to take it. thanks

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
You would know best, but it would not hurt to have another person eyeball it for sure. What are you concerned about?

rockyrunner99

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Golf
well... the injector pump, transmission, clutch, or an electrical problem. not cause I suspect anything to be wrong with any of them, just because of the miles. The car has only not started on me once. It was because a wire frayed near the starter from the engine movement.

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
Except that the A/C crapped out a week ago - I would not hesitate to take my 2000 NB with 360,000 miles on such a trip. I would be watching the oil level just because it has started to need some between changes. And really - the A/C is "just a comfort thing" < :) > - back in 1999 the wife and me took our 1988 Acura Integra out to Kansas and up to the west coast of lower Michigan - we had stopped in Bloomington for the night and the A/C broke and we had to finish the trip without A/C (back to NC - in early September !!!! ). It was "a little warm"....

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Take it to Kirk Blackmore in Cedar Springs and have him go over the car to make sure all's well. Sometimes things that can be easily fixed now can cause big problems on a road trip. CV boots, small coolant leaks, worn serpentine belt tensioner...those kind of things.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
well... the injector pump, transmission, clutch, or an electrical problem. not cause I suspect anything to be wrong with any of them, just because of the miles. The car has only not started on me once. It was because a wire frayed near the starter from the engine movement.
Is it due for the TB, or have you done one recently? I wouldn't worry about the clutch unless it's slipping on you. If the injector pump isn't leaking, you should be fine. I don't have a running ALH personally, but I keep hearing they're pretty solid pumps. The only thing I'd personally worry about is the AC compressor, but those can give out at any time. The compressor in my Golf died when I was in Virginia last year; I got to kick it with compu85 and VeeDubTDI (Jason and Lawson) while it was getting worked on, which cost me $1200-ish.

Take it to Kirk Blackmore in Cedar Springs and have him go over the car to make sure all's well. Sometimes things that can be easily fixed now can cause big problems on a road trip. CV boots, small coolant leaks, worn serpentine belt tensioner...those kind of things.
YES! I forgot about Kirk. He's a good guy and knows his stuff. I bought a CJAA motor and 6MT from him last month. His handle on here is r90sKirk.

Except that the A/C crapped out a week ago - I would not hesitate to take my 2000 NB with 360,000 miles on such a trip. I would be watching the oil level just because it has started to need some between changes. And really - the A/C is "just a comfort thing" < :) > - back in 1999 the wife and me took our 1988 Acura Integra out to Kansas and up to the west coast of lower Michigan - we had stopped in Bloomington for the night and the A/C broke and we had to finish the trip without A/C (back to NC - in early September !!!! ). It was "a little warm"....
It's tolerable, although not in this heat. When I last did a cross country trip, it was pretty damn hot, all the way from Maine to here in TX.

I had no choice with my AC - that trip was to pick up two Nigerian Dwarf goats for my mother, so AC was important - $1400 for 2 goats the size of a Pug or small Boxer.

Last edited:

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
Ditto on Kirk, he has seen and done a lot on these gems, plus he is fair and honest.

rockyrunner99

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Golf
the timing belt is coming up, about 8,000 miles yet. Kirk is actually the one who did the timing belt on it. As for the AC, mine does not work. Ive been debating on fixing it or not. A chunk of ice put a hole in the condenser last winter. I can replace the condenser, ive done it before, but did a bunch of salt and junk get into the system? would it have worked its way past the condenser into the other parts of the system? im going in the fall and going north, so I might not need ac

Last edited:

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
No A/C makes for a much more tiring trip. I'd get it fixed.
We wouldn't have if we had a choice, believe me.

The car wouldn't have a problem - the people might be another matter...

Although people did do cross country trips without A/C before it was invented.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I've done it too. Los Angeles to Boston, in July. It was fine, but you do get tired more easily.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
unlikely it pulled in contaminants, it would have pressure, and generally there is a low pressure switch that will shut power to the ac clutch when such symptoms occur.

rockyrunner99

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Golf
unlikely it pulled in contaminants, it would have pressure, and generally there is a low pressure switch that will shut power to the ac clutch when such symptoms occur.

the compressor has absolutely not ran, I was just thinking they might have migrated there on their own over 7 months.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gotcha! I would guess not, though you may have lost an ounce or two of oil.

bbarbulo

Veteran Member
I wouldn't have any issue with doing that, I regularly take extended trips in high mileage cars. Mileage is just a number, the car doesn't understand that concept. If it has been maintained I would do it. If things like wheel bearings, ball joints, etc haven't been done, I'd check them. Also, check that calipers are working properly, especially the rear ones.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
If anything, running long distances for significant numbers of miles a stretch is likely easier on your car than your current use. How many miles expected round trip? Look at that number and ask yourself if you could do those miles in your regular environment/routine w/o concern.

I'd make sure you're current on oil and filters (especially fuel filter- might even take an extra one along with you; have a few tools for this job). I carry a spare 109 relay in two of my cars (haven't gotten around to putting one in my most recent acquisition).

Tires and brakes. Drive axles (as IBW mentioned).

rockyrunner99

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Golf
If anything, running long distances for significant numbers of miles a stretch is likely easier on your car than your current use. How many miles expected round trip? Look at that number and ask yourself if you could do those miles in your regular environment/routine w/o concern.

I'd make sure you're current on oil and filters (especially fuel filter- might even take an extra one along with you; have a few tools for this job). I carry a spare 109 relay in two of my cars (haven't gotten around to putting one in my most recent acquisition).

Tires and brakes. Drive axles (as IBW mentioned).

I realize that long trips of cruising are significantly easier on a car then a daily commute. The reason it becomes an issue for me is if my car were to break down on me on my commute, I can easily call a friend for a ride and reasonably have it towed to my house for me to fix. When I am in the middle of nowhere in Montana or North Dakota, I will be looking at an expensive tow bill, repair bill, and hopefully that would be the worst of it. hopefully i would be somewhere with cell service or other people. I plan to go places that will hopefully have neither at times.