Need Help, Coolant Coupler at Heater Core

jettaway03

TDI
Jetta Wagon GLS, 2003, Silver
I am leaking coolant and traced it to leaking at the Heater Core couplings on the firewall. I can't find any how-to's on how to tackle this. Is it as simple as replacing the old with new?

Any help is appreciated.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
Just simple O-rings: be sure, however to get the correct ones (I use 1stvwparts.com to look up part numbers- I also get parts from them). There's a slight trick to getting the couplers off, but if you look around you can find out what that is: I seem to recall it being a "duh" thing.

The hoses can be joined together to bypass the HC. Just wanted to toss that out if you need to drive the car but are keeping from doing so because of the leak.

jettaway03

TDI
Jetta Wagon GLS, 2003, Silver
Thanks man. I hope I am just overthinking. I just don't want to yank the things and cause problems at the heater core connection. The think the leak is slow enough for me to wait for parts.

If anyone else has tips on getting the couplings out, let me know.

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
There is a spring clip you push out (kinda rotates up/out) which frees the ears securing it in position. Then it just pops off. The connector is clamped to the heater hose and clipped to the heater core tubing.

hughesjasonk

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta MK4;
Just simple O-rings: be sure, however to get the correct ones (I use 1stvwparts.com to look up part numbers- I also get parts from them). There's a slight trick to getting the couplers off, but if you look around you can find out what that is: I seem to recall it being a "duh" thing.

The hoses can be joined together to bypass the HC. Just wanted to toss that out if you need to drive the car but are keeping from doing so because of the leak.
when mine went I was able to find the o-ring in the plumbing section of lowes/home depot