06 Jetta random engine cutouts

redbaron58p

TDI
2001 Jetta GLS
My 06 Jetta has been reasonably happy for the longest time (306k miles to be exact) until recently, when a rather bizarre problem started occurring:

Randomly, in no particular situation or other, the engine will simply "cut out" but not actually die. It doesn't make any noises, and no warning lights come on. Its simply as if the gas pedal was suddenly disconnected from the engine.

here's the even weirder part: If I simply tap the brakes once, it seems to "reset" whatever problem happens and I can keep on driving.

To reiterate things, the engine never dies, and I don't need to turn it off or restart it. Simply tap the brakes, and voila.

I had the car scanned for codes, and the only thing that comes up is P0122, which would seem to make sense, since it is kind of a throttle problem. Yet, it works fine most of the time. Recently done things are the ASV and EGR were replaced in a fruitless attempt to fix a low-RPM lag, that turned out to be the wastegate stop adjustment. I am told that my pressure-side boost hose is leaking slightly and needs to be replaced, but it is barely noticeable.

This seems like an intermittant wiring short/fault problem or bad connection kind of thing, but maybe it is the gas pedal sensor. Anyone else had these problems?