02 vw beetle tdi problem

Rhanson

TDI
02 vw jetta, 02 vw beetle
Hey guys just need some help had to change the accessory bracket the one that has the idler pulley on it. It broke off and when i got it back together it did not start it turned over but didnt start. I was told the timing may be off so i adjusted to get tdc i think i got it right but still doesnt start dont know what to do now. Any help would be appreciated

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
The accessory bracket and the serpentine belt tensioner have nothing to do with timing. If your car wouldn't start it's more likely that you damaged a fuel line right around the fuel filter area and got air into the system and now it won't start because of that.

Your timing must have been right before it may not be now. How did you "adjust" it to TDC? We need some clarification.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
Pull off the serpentine belt and see if your car starts. Since there was no problem (noted) before you replaced the idler pulley it's possible that you have something incorrectly routed with the serpentine belt, and or something in that path is providing a lot of resistance (this has been known to cause problems with starting/running).

Disclaimer: above is only valid if you haven't screwed up your timing like messing with the IP main shaft bolt (rather than the three adjustment bolts that are loosened to adjust timing). Since you have stated you've adjusted the timing no one can say whether it was done correctly or that it's within an acceptable range that would allow for a proper start.

Rhanson

TDI
I lined up mark on flywheel just like haynes book said and also lined up hole on fuel injection pump. I did replace fuel filter but filled with fuel and bled lines till it was solid going into engine

Rhanson

TDI
To get bracket off had to take pulley off for injection pump so timing belt had to be loosened and removed off the one pulley to get to bolts thats why i thought was misfiring but you may be right and have nothing to do with starting someone told me it would so i set it

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Haynes really isn't the right resource for these vehicles. Bentley is what you want.

There are THREE things that have to be "lined" up: Crank, IP AND Cam. With the proper tools (you haven't said what you used) you're "indexing" things (folks say they are "locking" tools, which they really are not). IF you get everything indexed, and assuming there's no other issues with the engine, then the engine will start without any problems (I have about 40k miles on my car, my first TB job, and I have never touched the timing since that job- it shows up, using VCDS, exactly where I would want it to).

You did not say that you replaced the O-rings on the Thermo Tee. I mentioned this but you did not respond to identify whether this is still an issue to be concerned with or not. NOTE: you REALLY have to specify things in good detail- we're all out here in Virtual World, we cannot assume anything, we have no way to see or touch your car! you're being a "Newbie" makes things even more paramount that you communicate clearly (no cutting corners).

hollowhead

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta wagon 5 speed(2)2000 vw beetle tdi automatic
You need to check the timing of the crank,cam and ip.hopefully your cam was in time and didn't cause damage.

Rhanson

TDI
Ok i get what your saying so let me explain everything i did . The bracket that holds the idler pulley broke the actual bracket, so when i found one i pulled the ij pump, power steering pump, alternator an ac compressor. I didnt release th ac freon but everything else was disconnected. Now i had to take the ij pump pulley off to get to the 3 bolts needed to get bracket out to do that i loosened the timing belt to get pulley off. I didnt mess with any other pulleys on timing belt. I then put everything back together tightened the timing belt and thought the ij pump pulley was in correct spot but wasnt had to adjust later, checked fuel lines make sure no air then tried starting and wouldnt turn over. Then adjusted for tdc didnt do cams cause i just replaced valve cover gasket and didnt want to damge it taking back off. Tried starting again and no go.

Rhanson

TDI
So if it is not in time and i turn it over what is chance of messing up valves. Cause i did try to start a bunch of times

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
Okay, no more starting attempts until you remove the vacuum pump and index the camshaft using the proper tool.
This will mean using the proper procedure to correctly install the TB. Of course if the cam timing is way off that's bad.
At some point you may want to inspect the piston tops with a borescope to look for evidence of valve contact.

Last edited:

Rhanson

TDI
Well cams dont look like suppose to its not straight across now do i have to algn the flywheel, ij pump and cams together

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
There's HowTo on TB jobs on MyTurboDiesel.com (you have to sign up) as well as other places. Tools and procedures are documented: tools are available from many of the vendors on this site- some rent the tools. I would NOT rely on/use Haynes, PERIOD!

The TB tools are NOT "locking" tools! People that have broken out the (vacuum pump) ends of their cams had to learn this distinction the hard way. There is, however, a cam "hold" tool that is used to counter-hold breaking loose the cam bolt; but, this is not the cam "indexing" tool (which goes on the vacuum pump end of the cam).

hollowhead

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta wagon 5 speed(2)2000 vw beetle tdi automatic
You can pull the valve cover and check the followers for spider cracking.will it still not turn over?