Cummins nozzles in a TDI

All Stock

Veteran Member
TDI
AHU
Cummins nozzles in a TDI...has anyone done it?

Found a really old thread full of people saying no...even DBW.. But they all focused on the offset bowl and injector angles of the TDI in comparison to a 24v centric.
It seemed like just a lot of doubting more than exploring the possibilities and how to overcome the hurdles.

They did say an inspection appeared to indicate they were nearly the same aside from the plunger.

However..

It would seem no one considered the 1st or 2nd gen 12V cummins as it also has an offset bowel and a compensated spray pattern.

After all the VE motors are old tech and nobody is developing anything new because of the dwindling market share.... but what about seriously looking into the more refined and explored versions of the same tech that may provider greater options than what we have.... i.e. the cummins, IH, Deere etc..

\/\/0J0

Veteran Member
TDI
Sadly, none anymore
The smallest stock Cummins nozzles that came on the 4bt ve pumped non intercooled 105hp engines have about the same cross section as race 520 nozzles. The earlier ones were 9mm diameter and led to cracking in the head so the 7mm standard was adopted moving forward. The spray angle for the ve nozzles is 155° and was changed to 145° for the p pump nozzles. Both style tips are interchangeable between differing injector bodies.
I don't rightly recall the spray angle of the tdi nozzles but if someone has one laying around, it can be found in the number engraved on it...

DxLA ### P nnn

x = S for VCO, L for SAC
### = spray angle
nnn = identifier code (no rhyme or reason that I have found for numbers assigned with regard to hole size or quantity)

Sent from my mobile look-at device

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
Found a really old thread full of people saying no...even DBW.. But they all focused on the offset bowl and injector angles of the TDI in comparison to a 24v centric.
It seemed like just a lot of doubting more than exploring the possibilities and how to overcome the hurdles.
They did say an inspection appeared to indicate they were nearly the same aside from the plunger.
However..
It would seem no one considered the 1st or 2nd gen 12V cummins as it also has an offset bowel and a compensated spray pattern.
After all the VE motors are old tech and nobody is developing anything new because of the dwindling market share.... but what about seriously looking into the more refined and explored versions of the same tech that may provider greater options than what we have.... i.e. the cummins, IH, Deere etc..
Every possible performance range is covered using state of the art DLC coatings and newer refined Spray Patterns and Flow efficiency.

Stock and High Performance Options:
http://www.dbwllc.net/product-category/ve-dlc-nozzles/

Race Applications:
http://www.dbwllc.net/product-category/dlc-race-nozzles-ve/

If you need more power beyond these, its a limitation of the injection pump, Larger profile camp plates and Pump heads e.g. 11mm, 12mm and 14mm would be required to boost performance.

All Stock

Veteran Member
TDI
AHU
The reason I am curious is to the fitment is because we are limited to Chinese and Bosio nozzles. Both of which have quality concerns. Yes, even the Bosio. When you have a market cornered......

Here's an old thread. http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=246968

The valid points of that thread are the measurements out of box, NOT that the guy was modifying his own. The Bosch are more consistent then the Bosio. It was also noted there was a cleanliness issue with the Bosio in addition to an EDM over burn issue...again quality control is key here.
Granted the thread and the products reviewed were done quite some time ago, but has there been another inspection since then other than the words of a distributor or the manufacturer?

I get you sell them.. I have a set of your P764's stg 3 with modified pilot that you balanced and installed. I am the guy who had the one cylinder max out the contribution from the get go on them.... in a brand new motor, who was driving across the country trying to stop by your shop so it could be fixed.... to which all I got was why not to stop there. NO hard feelings here... Just saying I have the Bosio tech and am curious to another option that may have better quality control behind it i.e. oem.

Now I am in the process building a new motor (BHW pistons) and am exploring what my options truly are.

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
You are casting your line too short if you think that Bosio and Chinese nozzles are the only players out there for TDI nozzles. Off the top of my head, I can name Firad, Gibonta, DSS and HFLOX, to name just a few.

You can certainly go ahead and try Cummins nozzles, but cone and spray angles will be wrong (you need 150P and the injector itself is mounted about 15 degrees from vertical that needs to be accounted for). Anything off from this will mean more smoke, more noise, less power, more fuel consumption and potentially burned pistons.

mk1-83

Veteran Member
TDI
LUPO 1.9 tdi 300+ hp
Hflox are not more produced. The first gen are whell the 2 gen not so good.
Bosio have there ve nozzles on back order for long time.
Gibonta nozzels have dlc coated needle, like bosio and firad.

KERMA

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
Feel welcome to "explore" and report back to the forum.

it is never any problem to "overcome the hurdles"... if you have enough resources and abilities.

Injectors aside, why not also use an HX60 turbo if you want. I heard they work great on the dodges. Why not a TDI? Some of those dodges are over 1000 hp how awesome would that be in a TDI. Just need to figure out how to overcome the herdles (pun intended) with some creative, out of the box thinking is all.

Come to think of it, why not just use some dodge pistons and rods. They are the same basic shape as tdi pistons, you know, round kind of cylinders of metal. If you take a close look, they even have the dish in the center for the fuel. How different could they be, REALLY. Not only that, the dodge rods are MUCH beefer and that's a good thing. I'll bet a really smart guy with skills could fit them. I'll bet nobody's ever thought of that either!

the only limit is your imagination.

mk1-83

Veteran Member
TDI
LUPO 1.9 tdi 300+ hp
Ore EDM wire burns enlarge holes and after EDM extrude hone to clean the holes from sharp edges.
Im not sure if thise works fine to enlarge stock bosch 520 to .341 size

andy2

Veteran Member
TDI
13 Jetta,94 Golf drag car 585bhp,Samurai buggy BHW 300bhp,97 Ram cummins
I reworked my injectors to accept the cummins "BT" nozzle.This was close to 10 years ago when there wasn't anything bigger than R520's or possibly custom nozzles were available however for big $$$.

We had to convert all of the internal guts over from some Perkins single stage Injectors I believe.At the time I got some no name brand 5x.017" nozzles cheap online.

I seem to recall the spray angle being 5* different mabye 145* to 150*. I run pistons without a lip so the spray angle difference was of no concern to me.The nozzle orientation was the same when installed into the TDI injector body.

Today I still run cummins BT nozzles in my drag car.I just installed 5x.022" nozzles recently.

I don't think I would recommend using any cummins BT nozzles with stock pistons or with any piston that still has a lip.Beyond that its quite involved to either swap the injector guts unless you surface grind the cummins nozzle pintle down flush with the nozzle.Way too much work and madness IMO.

TDIMeister

TDI
TDI
Andy, I commend your and the OP's ingenuity to try something outside the box. You guys will always want to find an outside-the-box solution and I tip my hat to you. But it would be instructive to step back and ask yourself what problem you're trying to solve, if there are multiple current solutions that follow around the OEM's extensive engineering work. There are some who will always want to "stick-it-to-man", so to speak, whether it be the factory engineers or a leading/incumbent vendor. Fine - you know the risks, you are your own warranty.

How's the VE2CR going? :)

andy2

Veteran Member
TDI
Andy did you try EDM some nozzles and then flow balance it
Never considered that close to 10 years ago now.

Andy, I commend your and the OP's ingenuity to try something outside the box. You guys will always want to find an outside-the-box solution and I tip my hat to you. But it would be instructive to step back and ask yourself what problem you're trying to solve, if there are multiple current solutions that follow around the OEM's extensive engineering work. There are some who will always want to "stick-it-to-man", so to speak, whether it be the factory engineers or a leading/incumbent vendor. Fine - you know the risks, you are your own warranty.

How's the VE2CR going? :)
I stuck with the cummins B style nozzles as they were a "Buy it Now" option on ebay and due to my injectors already being reworked to accept them.Mabye a custom set of TDI specific nozzles would be similar in price currently ?

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/350HP-Inject...our-1991-1998-Dodge-Cummins-12v-/191694094230

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=4072669&postcount=5

The VE2CR has not progressed at all unfortunately :(.On a common rail note though I did install a 12mm "stroker" cp3 onto a duramax last night that uses it as a second cp3 ;)

TDIMeister

TDI
TDI
The problem with VE2CR is clearly not mechanical, but electronic. I'm 100% confident it can be overcome.

mrchill

TDIClub Enthusiast, Super Secret Diesel Ninja Vend
MASS! home of THE WORLD SERIES CHAMPION RED SOX! x
TDI
96 B4v red \ 98 Mk3 green\98 Mk3 Jetta black\ 99 Mk4 Jetta green x2\ 99 Mk4 Golf silver x2\ 99 Mk4 Jetta black\ 97 B4 sedan green\04 JSW gold\03 JSW silver
To the OP. Somewhere I did mention long ago when folks were talking about it, that I tried cummins nozzles. Six sizes in fact. Do they work? Yes. However I feel there are better options that fit better. I even ried 8 hole nozzles many years ago...those worked too. They certainly were not ideal, but man did they fuel. There is plenty on the market these days in terms of decent nozzles. I get what you are saying in terms of quality...sometimes mass produced stuff gets wonky. But I would suggest any of the ones currently available rather than the cummins...which do work, but are not as ideal.

andy2

Veteran Member
TDI
The problem with VE2CR is clearly not mechanical, but electronic. I'm 100% confident it can be overcome.

I agree,Its hardware related but still might have mechanical limitations also.I'm still afraid of needing to rely on a tuner and/or turning to Bosch Motorsports for ecu $$$$$ after trying to use an OE ecu.

I've now basically seen first hand the difference between a Bosch motorsports system and an OE ECU and tuner of choice.

The Black Smoke Racing guys seem to have a pretty strong running Mercedes presumably using an OE ECU ?

Here is an example of a diesel truck tuner that normally tunes both daily driven and competition trucks.He even uses the Bosch motorsports ECU and tunes it himself,

http://www.dragzine.com/features/ca...likens-wicked-nine-second-diesel-dodge-truck/

All Stock

Veteran Member
TDI
AHU
Kerma...Grow up.. You should be ashamed as a vender for your sarcastic insulting. Would love to meet you in person to see if you have just as big of a mouth as you do behind a keyboard.
Also been there and did a nearly 1k hp cummins in a Ford. one truck made Diesel power 3x and Diesel world 4 page spread.

Mods go ahead and do with that you want.. Kerma's post was completely uncalled for. Then again.. He seems to get away with it often as he's a paid vendor...

Feel welcome to "explore" and report back to the forum.

Injectors aside, why not also use an HX60 turbo if you want. I heard they work great on the dodges. Why not a TDI? Some of those dodges are over 1000 hp how awesome would that be in a TDI. Just need to figure out how to overcome the herdles (pun intended) with some creative, out of the box thinking is all.
Come to think of it, why not just use some dodge pistons and rods. They are the same basic shape as tdi pistons, you know, round kind of cylinders of metal. If you take a close look, they even have the dish in the center for the fuel. How different could they be, REALLY. Not only that, the dodge rods are MUCH beefer and that's a good thing. I'll bet a really smart guy with skills could fit them. I'll bet nobody's ever thought of that either!
the only limit is your imagination.

TDIMeister

TDI
TDI
I agree,Its hardware related but still might have mechanical limitations also.I'm still afraid of needing to rely on a tuner and/or turning to Bosch Motorsports for ecu $$$$$ after trying to use an OE ecu.

I've now basically seen first hand the difference between a Bosch motorsports system and an OE ECU and tuner of choice.

The Black Smoke Racing guys seem to have a pretty strong running Mercedes presumably using an OE ECU ?

Here is an example of a diesel truck tuner that normally tunes both daily driven and competition trucks.He even uses the Bosch motorsports ECU and tunes it himself,

http://www.dragzine.com/features/ca...likens-wicked-nine-second-diesel-dodge-truck/
Well, it is another thread, but if you want to look in this more seriously, Skynam is an excellent standalone ECU that costs much less than Bosch Motorsports and other aftermarket solutions, plus they already have TDI base maps as a starting point for calibrations.

KERMA

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
Kerma...Grow up.. You should be ashamed as a vender for your sarcastic insulting. Would love to meet you in person to see if you have just as big of a mouth as you do behind a keyboard.
Also been there and did a nearly 1k hp cummins in a Ford. one truck made Diesel power 3x and Diesel world 4 page spread.
Mods go ahead and do with that you want.. Kerma's post was completely uncalled for. Then again.. He seems to get away with it often as he's a paid vendor...

No offense intended, but if technical arguments in a different thread don't seem to have any sway, maybe hyperbole gets the point across. Looks like maybe it did.

Saying something like the offset bowl and injector angles being wrong is just mere doubting instead of problem solving, and implying that it's probably not really relevant after all, and the injectors look pretty similar after all so why won't they work, is almost as ridiculous as saying that the pistons are metal with pretty much the same shape, so why won't they work too. Or why not just use the biggest turbo that will (or won't) fit under the hood, because it works great elsewhere.

Or maybe there's more to it than that?

There are lots of different nozzles that will physically fit on the VW nozzle holders and even look similar to the naked eye or casual inspection. Some of them may even come as standard equipment on an engine made by Cummins. But that's the engine and piston they were designed for.

Does that mean that you "could" use them? I guess so. You "can" also "use" an hx60 on a 2 liter tdi I suppose. Or use a 6bt piston in a tdi..( If it was melted down and recast maybe.) Where there's a will, there's a way. You just have to ask "why"

Maybe that's a matter of opinion. Maybe it depends at least partly on what you are trying to do. And what specific parts we are talking about in particular. Just to be able to say you "did it"? Just to be able to say "I installed a "cummins" nozzle in a TDI when everyone said it could not be done"? Makes me wonder, is there actually something inherently more desirable about a bosch nozzle that was designed for a dodge engine over a bosch nozzle that was designed for a VW engine? Or modified parts that are based on them?

I know that in the truck world they will take sac-hole DLLA nozzles and use them in injectors and engines that originally had VCO-type DSLA nozzles. AFAIK there is no common rail DLLA but that is where they are being used. The nozzle shank is too big so they get turned down on a lathe till they will physically fit into the engine among other mods. The spray spread is slightly wrong but they flow more and have a different cylinder pressure ramp that is supposedly better for racing. But the smoke is more and they run hotter than if the spray was the correct pattern, and there are other tradeoffs. But hey, 2500 hp and 8 seconds, what do you want. But then again, if the spray angle was correct for the piston then maybe it would be 3000 hp.

Do we want something that is actually an upgrade that works better or best for that application, that will actually get you where you want to go? Of course "better or best" is a matter of opinion as well. And everyone has an opinion.

And FWIW, no paid vendors here. Just guys who want to talk about their cars.

TDIMeister

TDI
TDI
Pretty sure we've been over this before, but I think it bears repeating. I think the answer to the problem we are trying to solve is almost always money. Sure you can buy everything from a vendor, but I think I speak for the majority of us tinkerers that we are usually driven by a need for cheap decent stuff, usually on a Sunday...

I seriously doubt any vendor is going to warranty your drag car parts or come to your rescue on a Sunday morning at the track. So we're pretty much on our own anyway. Which is why we should fully understand the stuff we're using.

That Skynam ECU is nice, but $5300CDN. Yikes...:eek: I don't drive anything worth that much. Think any of my future common rail projects are going to have operate within the confines of the factory ECU...

And Kerma, I feel you may have a shred of credibility and dignity left. You sure you want to spend it all here?
Well, by acknowledging that there exist Chinese options (and I'll add eBay also), the OP at least is no mere penny pincher, especially since he claims to having a 1000 HP Cummins build with multiple magazine ink under his belt...

And I'm sure you know that my quip about warranty was not meant to be taken literally, but maybe better stated would be that you're responsible for whatever consequences of your decisions. Trying different nozzle specs may prove to be a false economy if you start to melt pistons in the names of buying on the cheap and tinkering.

Any aftermarket Diesel standalone ECU option is going to be expensive any way you slice it, but I have proposed an OEM solution in concept only if not in practice that I'm confident will work - it's a matter of finding an ECU tuning partner who's willing to make it happen.

This thread is anyway coming near the end of its useful life as andy2 and Mr. Chill have said that they've tried Cummins nozzles in TDIs. Summary: Do they work? - yes. Do they work well? Depends.

Last edited:

All Stock

Veteran Member
TDI
AHU
LOL I just use a larger spark plug gap driven by a bigger flux capacitor and then add bigger piston return springs...

The point of the thread was to look for performance options that would contain a high degree of consistency and quality control along the lines of oem. I had an interesting conversation with another well known vendor here about injectors and regarding the quality of the market offerings... "A TDI engine builder" not an internet parts rebrander/reseller.

Bosio which seems to be the most popular and the Hflox were discussed. The thread referenced showed actual photos and testing done by someone who also is well known in diesel showed actual data to the questionability of the quality of the Bosios. The advantage of the Bosio over the others seems to be availability, however that was mentioned to be an issue. The others named...are rarely mentioned with the exception of the HFlox and those guys are mostly from across the pond where they are readily available. The early Cummins has a lot of similarities, offset bowel, injector is angled, nozzle drilling ... and they are easily obtainable oem quality units stateside. As for DLC coating...that's an easy fix if need be. So the question became has anyone done it yet... NOT has anyone put 12v 6BT rods and pistons in a TDI. Another consideration is market share and for how much longer will we be able to get nozzles?

Thanks Andy and Church for sharing your experience with using them. Did you by chance try the marine non emission versions?

Machining is not a problem should I decide to try them. As for the requirement a de-lipped piston, wouldn't injection timing with larger volume and less duration considerations solve that?

Last edited:

mrchill

TDIClub Enthusiast, Super Secret Diesel Ninja Vend
MASS! home of THE WORLD SERIES CHAMPION RED SOX! x
TDI
96 B4v red \ 98 Mk3 green\98 Mk3 Jetta black\ 99 Mk4 Jetta green x2\ 99 Mk4 Golf silver x2\ 99 Mk4 Jetta black\ 97 B4 sedan green\04 JSW gold\03 JSW silver
The sizes used came from my local bosch dealer. Its possible that some were marine...as I gave him a window of what I was looking for and out of more than 30 options...we got down to six. The 8 holes I tried were not cummins....but man the fuel. Too bad a ve pump cannot deliver the volume they require. They may be good for racing...although nowadays, there are so many options, that it really isnt necessary.

\/\/0J0

Veteran Member
TDI
Sadly, none anymore
I'm curious as to how the angle of the Cummins injector bodies sitting in a Cummins head compares to that of the TDi injector bodies in a VW head.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
Too bad a ve pump cannot deliver the volume they require.
I've wondered lately about replacing the transfer pump with something belt driven, like a power steering pump.

The timing advance is entirely independent of case pressure (so long as there is case pressure above inlet pressure) unlike on mechanically governed pumps where the pressure curve sets the timing curve. Figure you could run 500-1000 PSI of case pressure and get much better element filling. Pressure'd likely stiffen the pump body somewhat as well if it didn't crack it.

\/\/0J0

Veteran Member
TDI
Sadly, none anymore
I've wondered lately about replacing the transfer pump with something belt driven, like a power steering pump.

The timing advance is entirely independent of case pressure (so long as there is case pressure above inlet pressure) unlike on mechanically governed pumps where the pressure curve sets the timing curve. Figure you could run 500-1000 PSI of case pressure and get much better element filling. Pressure'd likely stiffen the pump body somewhat as well if it didn't crack it.
Thanks for the link.

The issue with running an inlet pressure higher than 13 or so psi is that, at least in Cummins VE pumps, it will blow out the input shaft seal.
Maybe some machine work could allow for a retaining ring or plate of some sort?

All Stock

Veteran Member
TDI
AHU

Well that post sums it up.

I knew the cummins was at an angle with an offset bowel. Looking at the two motors it would appear to work. However measuring reveals two different angles. 6 degrees is very significant when it comes to spray patterns. If it cant go all the way across the bowl atomized to burn the best you could hope from it...then it will hit the piston and pool into a drip. Sounds like a whole lot of smoke waiting to happen. I am too old for that anymore. It's unburnt fuel and wasted power! That's where the giggle factor is! lol

So in my reason for the post... a search for a truly high quality nozzle, who really has a great nozzle for a driver and 250 hp? And what backs up that opinion beyond the marketing hype?

All Stock

Veteran Member
TDI
AHU

You can make that work. The pump can be modified to as low as a pressure as you like. I had one modified to be the recirculation pump for an air to water intercooler on a VR6.