[LF] Looking For Guru - Skilled Mech - Retired Mech - Restore Car Mechanically

neoborn

Veteran Member
TDI
MKIV TDI Golf
Hey Guys,

I am looking for a Retired Mechanic / Skilled Mechanic / Guru who is interested in helping me over time restore my car back to as close to original mechanical (and body after) working condition.

I need someone trustworthy which is most important and knows what they are doing. I don't have stealership dollars but my money is worthy.

Would love to work with someone over time or have you do the work yourself.

This is my daily runner and so bit of a time crunch here and there but would like to work something out! I am a father of 3 and this is my only vehicle and it needs some love.

Area: Can be Hamilton / Burlington and area preferably or Grey County / Owen Sound / Flesherton / Area.

Thanks much guys,

P.s Please let me know if this isn't the right place to put this.

Strider17

Veteran Member
TDI
Beetle(sold) MK4 Golf TDI(sold) Mk4 Jetta TDI(parted out) MK4 Golf GTI w/ALH swap (built then parted out) 2015 Passat TDI Highline (current)
i am located in hamilton, what does the car need?

neoborn

Veteran Member
TDI
MKIV TDI Golf
I would love to chat about the car perhaps there are things I can fix, you can fix or we can fix together. I am also currently working things out to get a service manual which will be handy.

Some of the current things are ( I understand that something may be more major than others )

* Shimmy on Brake - Could be cheap rotors / pads

* Slight Vibration at around 100 KMH - Could be Driveshaft / Brake Pads / Rotors

* Gears - 1st and 2nd tough to get into

* 349,0000 KM's - Water Pump / Timing Belt - Possibly too major (though I don't know your skill level)

* Rear Driver Caliper Replacement (possibly both front ones)

* Actuator Arm / Turbo Issue

* MAF

* Rear Window Wiper reinstallation

* Once Mechanically sound again then replacement of various plastic underpanelling etc, some interior trunk panelling etc

I would really like to talk to you or someone locally and get some kind of a plan and a reliable, honest person to discuss the issues. I have no time to waste.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
That's some laundry list. Easiest would be to buy a beater and fix everything all at once on this car. This way the one working on it is not under unecesarry pressure.

Strider17

Veteran Member
TDI
Beetle(sold) MK4 Golf TDI(sold) Mk4 Jetta TDI(parted out) MK4 Golf GTI w/ALH swap (built then parted out) 2015 Passat TDI Highline (current)
i have a guy that can get cross drilled rotors and ceramic pads all 4 corners for about 180.

brakes would be cheap
shifting problem is a 2 minute adjustment
replacing wiper is 30 min job max
calipers are quick if doing a brake job, then just need a brake flush
maf replacement is quick
axles can be time consuming a bit
etc.

alot of the stuff you mentioned can be done in a day

neoborn

Veteran Member
TDI
MKIV TDI Golf
Thanks for you replies guys. I do not have the money for a beater, that is not an option for me.

Strider 17 I would love your help if you are willing yes. I would love to chat further on this with you. I'll PM

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
i have a guy that can get cross drilled rotors and ceramic pads all 4 corners for about 180.

brakes would be cheap
shifting problem is a 2 minute adjustment
replacing wiper is 30 min job max
calipers are quick if doing a brake job, then just need a brake flush
maf replacement is quick
axles can be time consuming a bit
etc.

alot of the stuff you mentioned can be done in a day
Nothing is a "just" or "only" when you are working on a 20 year old daily driver that spent all it's life in the rustbelt. Then there is also the need to do a proper diagnosis as opposed to just replacing parts that the owner thinks will fix the problem. All the his cost money, including your time not just spent working on the car but to drive there/back and then when something goes wrong (bolt snaps, etc.) the time to properly fix it on a daily driven car is going to become a problem.

Make sure you understand what you are getting yourself into.
All the cars I ever fixed for other people were always left with me until the work was complete. And I only fixed cars for people that I knew enough to trust. You are also taking on a liability when working on someone else's car. When something goes sideways, how is that going to work out when you don't know the other person?

neoborn

Veteran Member
TDI
MKIV TDI Golf
All valid points. Really look for someone who is experienced in these things to work with me and guidance from a live person I can chat with and discuss stuff in person. In regards to liability, I will be there and have half a clue so not too bad.

For the daily driver issue yes it makes it more intense time wise.

* Fixed rear driver caliper and brake issues today - installed new rotor and pads - I still need this caliper changed as the boot has slipped out from the body of the caliper and like you said I live in the rustbelt so seizing is a real issue.

* Oil Changed

Nothing is a "just" or "only" when you are working on a 20 year old daily driver that spent all it's life in the rustbelt. Then there is also the need to do a proper diagnosis as opposed to just replacing parts that the owner thinks will fix the problem. All the his cost money, including your time not just spent working on the car but to drive there/back and then when something goes wrong (bolt snaps, etc.) the time to properly fix it on a daily driven car is going to become a problem.
Make sure you understand what you are getting yourself into.
All the cars I ever fixed for other people were always left with me until the work was complete. And I only fixed cars for people that I knew enough to trust. You are also taking on a liability when working on someone else's car. When something goes sideways, how is that going to work out when you don't know the other person?