2006 Jetta TDI Part Out: Lansing, MI

Cecil14

TDI
2015 Jetta TDI
Hello all,

My 2006 Jetta TDI is down and out. I was replacing the flywheel and found a crack in the engine block and transmission housing.

I have since acquired a 2015 Jetta TDI, and am not going to fix the 2006, so it's getting parted out.

Everything is for sale, or if someone wants to throw me a couple thousand bucks, they can have the whole deal.

It's got projector headlights with LED bulbs low and high (http://a.co/aeJxuzP). *GONE*

The front end body work was all replaced and painted last year, there are some small rock chips on the bumper and a ding in the left fender; otherwise the paint looks great.

I put an RMT300 head unit in it last year.

I have brand new carpet from stock interiors sitting in the basement, never installed, as well as a headliner kit from them also never installed.

I replaced the turbo last year with a new OEM unit, probably ~20k miles on the new one. *GONE*

I have a full timing kit from from Diesel Geek (http://www.dieselgeek.com/BRM_TDI_Timing_Belt_Kit_p/tbk-brm.htm) as well as the tools they recommend (http://www.dieselgeek.com/BRM_TDI_Timing_Belt_Tool_Kit_p/mn-brm.htm). *GONE*

I will be swapping the tires from the 2006 onto the 2015 and selling the new tires from the 2015. I'll also have a set of stock 2006 TDI wheels available. (Tires and wheels spoken for)

I am working on a full list of parts and prices I think might be reasonable, but for now feel free to throw me offers on anything. I'd rather not ship anything I don't have to, but if someone wants to foot the bill I'll do what I can.

EDIT: nearly everything is now gone, including the car itself. The only items remaining are the engine and transmission. I would like $800/each or $1500 for the set. I can take pics of anything specific if someone is interested. I will get pics of the damage over the weekend. The engine ran great before I cracked the block, just needs a flywheel. Likewise for the transmission, shifted great. The trans is due for a fluid/filter change, which I have here and will throw in with purchase.

Thanks,

Anthony

Last edited:

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA; 2012 wagon CJAA; 2004 wagon BEW
1. Does it run?
2. How's the rust?
3. How much for just the turbo?

Cecil14

TDI
2015 Jetta TDI
The motor ran great before I took it apart for the flywheel. I'm sure it'd still run fine, but the crack ran along the rear main seal and it won't hold oil. Might be able to have the block welded if you stripped it down, I wouldn't trust it, though.

Very little rust on the body, just one place on the right rear quarter where it was hit years ago. Bit more on the suspension, but surprisingly little considering it's been a wintered car it's whole life.

I'd love to see $500 from the turbo, as it's only got about 5000 miles on it, but I'm certainly willing to entertain offers.

Anthony

Cecil14

TDI
2015 Jetta TDI
The fog light covers are gone, along with the trim around the radio.

Engine and transmission are out and separated, still available. $1500/each obo (turbo is off the motor, would like to sell separately as it's nearly new). Crack in the transmission case doesn't look too bad, near one of the bottom mounting tabs. Crack in the block is on the bottom rear mounting tab and runs up along the rib of the casting. Possibly repairable, if you wanted to strip the block down and have it welded?

Anthony

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA; 2012 wagon CJAA; 2004 wagon BEW
PM sent for the whole thing

mz1

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 GTD Stage III / 2015 Touareg TDI LUX Stage II
As our previous conversations, ready to pay for DG Timing belt kit.....let me know

Cecil14

TDI
2015 Jetta TDI
Impatience? Tired? Casting impurities? Stress from previous accidents I do and don't know about? Subconscious desire to get a new car? Almost certainly a combination of the above. I was using a 3/8" ratchet by hand, and I don't consider myself to be hulk. Obviously I didn't have things lined up, but to crack the iron there was definitely more going on.

Regardless, mistakes I shouldn't have made with 20+ years wrenching on cars, but c'est la vie.

When I get back in town I'll finish stripping the chassis down, inventory everything and throw up pics and prices.

The engine and transmission I'm calling cores. The crack in the trans housing wouldn't bother me to run, it's in the very bottom mounting ear. The one in the block runs through the oil pan gasket surface, not the rear main as I thought originally. Could probably be repaired, if someone wanted to; I don't.

I couldn't find a core with less than 200k miles for less than $1k for either the engine or trans, so I'll start the bidding there, obo. The car ran and drove flawlessly, excepting the vibration from the worn out flywheel.

aa

kbaisley

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI 5spd
Interested in front end parts and potentially more. I dropped you an email in your inbox.

thanks

Cecil14

TDI
2015 Jetta TDI
Thanks Kevin,

That's essentially what I was planning, had I decided to keep any of it. I'd have had no problem running my transmission as it is; it's the bottom flange that broke, and that would have (in my opinion) basically no impact on holding the transmission in a stock vehicle.

As for the block, I'm sure if *could* be welded if someone wanted to strip it down, clean it properly, and have a professional welder take it on. You would need an oven large enough to pre and post heat the block. Cast iron is a tricky beast to weld well.

Overall, not worth my costs to repair so everyone here benefits with inexpensive parts. :)
aa

Last edited:

Cecil14

TDI
2015 Jetta TDI
May be interested in the head and the possibly the turbo
The engine is going as an assembly, the turbo I would definitely let go separately.

I couldn't find any workable cores for less than $1500 when I was looking, and those had 200k miles. I'd love to get $1000 out of the engine, but PM me an offer.

The turbo is darn near brand new, I put it on last fall with a bunch of other items. It's got maybe 10k miles on it. I'd like to see $500 for that.

aa

ATLSilverTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.5 Special Edition Jetta - Silver
and also possibility of the following:

Passenger side door lock mechanism, Drivers side speaker (front) maybe rear. trunk wiring harness, and Rims and wheels? Of course the primary thing I am interested in is the head, how many miles on the cam?

Cecil14

TDI
2015 Jetta TDI
and also possibility of the following:

Passenger side door lock mechanism, Drivers side speaker (front) maybe rear. trunk wiring harness, and Rims and wheels? Of course the primary thing I am interested in is the head, how many miles on the cam?
The odometer was just under 210k when I pulled everything apart. To my knowledge nothing has been done to the engine internally.

aa

Cecil14

TDI
2015 Jetta TDI
My apologies to those still waiting on pics, life and work have gotten in the way of the disassembly effort. I will be back at it again this week, however.

Thanks,

aa

justintime_3

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 tdi Jetta, 2006 tdi jetta PKG 2
Well if there is a chance at an injector, I may be interested? I know you said trying to keep engine complete but if that changes let me know.

Cecil14

TDI
2015 Jetta TDI
Well if there is a chance at an injector, I may be interested? I know you said trying to keep engine complete but if that changes let me know.
For the time being, the engine is definitely staying together. I'll keep you in mind if that changes.

aa

Cecil14

TDI
2015 Jetta TDI
I believe I have replied to everyone that has asked about parts. If I missed anyone, please let me know.

Thanks,

Anthony

Cecil14

TDI
2015 Jetta TDI
Nearly everything is now gone, including the car itself. The only items remaining are the engine and transmission. I would like $800/each or $1500 for the set. I can take pics of anything specific if someone is interested. I will get pics of the damage over the weekend. The engine ran great before I cracked the block, just needs a flywheel. Likewise for the transmission, shifted great. The trans is due for a fluid/filter change, which I have here and will throw in with purchase.

aa