Creaking front suspension

ExBenz

TDI
'04 Golf
I acquired a 2004 Golf TDI this spring, and now that it's running pretty well ofter oil and filter changes and some fuel treatment to get the gunk from burning veggie oil mix out of things, I've started in on the rest of the fix-ups.

Car has 130,00 miles, and the front suspension creaks. On my Benz's, this meant either bad strut mounts or bad ball joints, shocks never made any noise, just knocked and were mushy.

What's the best what to diagnose this? Rides hard too, but that may just be the silly 18" wheels with rock hard tires that are on it. Will probably replace them with 15" wheels when I need new tires, I don't want a Ghetto-rider, I want better mileage (currently 43-44 with AC and 46-47 without) and less harshness, the roads around here are ROUGH.

Strut mounts look new.

I have all the tools necessary to replace suspension parts.

Thanks !

Peter

Enabled

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Manual, BMW 328d SW
On mine, I've changed all the suspension bits, bushings, and balljoints, and still creaks here and there, which I think are due to the sway bar bushings; not the end mounts though.

benshaw

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta bew
yeah as above sway bar bushes especially when its really hot weather

bbob203

Veteran Member
TDI
b5.5v
Yea I have this going on. I changed front springs, struts, strut mounts, rear lower control arm bushings, ball joints and Outer tie rod ends. I'm going to do the away bar bushings and hope for the best the seay at end links still seem solid.

mjydrafter

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
I just finished doing new suspension, front struts, springs, LCA bushings, ball joints, rear shocks & springs, and new sway bar bushings. I think the sway bar bushings were the worst of it. I won't get into breaking my 5" vise...

The way the brackets connect and their position makes them really frustrating, plus the fact that there is no way to clamp the bracket while getting the bolt in had me making up new swear words. I got them in, but they are not fun, for as simple as they are. I read somewhere to try and find some longer bolts to replace the originals.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
I just finished doing new suspension, front struts, springs, LCA bushings, ball joints, rear shocks & springs, and new sway bar bushings. I think the sway bar bushings were the worst of it. I won't get into breaking my 5" vise...

The way the brackets connect and their position makes them really frustrating, plus the fact that there is no way to clamp the bracket while getting the bolt in had me making up new swear words. I got them in, but they are not fun, for as simple as they are. I read somewhere to try and find some longer bolts to replace the originals.
Yeah, this simple job took me several hours!:mad: Finally ended up running and getting longer bolts: got them longer than what others suggest (glad I did because had I gotten anything shorter it wouldn't have worked!) and added spacers as the bushings slowly compressed and formed. I did manage to get some vise-grips on to help, but it wasn't easy (space is really hard to work in there).

phaser

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta PD - 490k
Car has 130,00 miles, and the front suspension creaks.
Peter, does it creak driving straight down the road or when you turn the steering wheel?

If this happens when you turn the steering wheel, it could be the strut bearings.

fossill

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf
Agree....that's when my creaks only
Tug and pull on the coil spring on the side that creaks. You will notice that the creak duplicates and you can feel the spring "wound up".
Possible cause is the strut mount bearing not properly seated in the strut mount. Dont ask me how or why. To verify jack up the car, letting the wheel /suspension assy hang, remove the strut cap and counter rotate the strut with a 7mm hex head key. If it creaks and groans thats your issue. Disassemble and reassemble ensuring to properly torque.

Last edited:

HogWrangler

Banned
TDI
2005 Jetta BEW 5 speed
I installed all of this, with the Audi TT style control arm bushing. Even went ahead and put in my Cupra rear axle bushings (with the axle still on the car!)

http://www.idparts.com/suspension-and-steering-refresh-kit-a4-p-2086.html

By far the hardest part was the sway arm bushings. Luckily, I had bolts left over from previous projects that I used.

All I have left is to replace the upper strut bushings and bearings

Last edited:

Jeta Life

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI DSG Auto
My 2009's bushings were inspected and found to be wearing out. Are bushings an important suspension item or can it be delayed till next year as I have a timing belt job due soon ?
Also, a front suspension item which sounds like an air leakage or slight creak only can be heard in the winter and goes away in warmer weather, any idea what that could be. I just had all 4 Bilstein HDs done so it's not that.

The steering wheel vibrates on the highway at speeds less than 70mph but I've also got a bad outer alloy rim bend from a pothole. It's not as smooth as a Benz that's for sure.

Last edited:

mk3

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta GLS 5-speed
The sway bar bushings are known noise-makers. From my memory there is a new part number for these. I put these in many years ago when I became the 2nd owner of my car. Stopped the noise and that was at ~90k and I now have 259k.

Jeta Life

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI DSG Auto
I found an old thread on the MKV section "09 squeaky front end" which describes my front suspension experiencing cold weather creaking most likely due to the bushings, there was a TSB on it for the 09 MKVs.

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
Mine creaked until I replaced the sway bar bushings. I greased them with silicone based grease too.

No creaks at all now, and it was really bad before.

Jeta Life

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI DSG Auto
Will try the grease, thanks. Hopefully will do the magic. Replacement will be a Plan B option, can tolerate a little creak or squeak. I've lived with it for almost 3 years. Putting those 4 Bilstein HDs was more important.

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Bear in mind that MKIV and V suspensions are quite different. MKV rear control arm bushings are molded into aluminum brackets, not serviceable. The front bushing is replaceable. And MKV sway bar bushings are not available for purchase: you have to buy a new sway bar. But they also don't seem to fail.

Stock MKV 16" wheels are probably one of the most prone to bending of any wheel VW has made.

Jpontiac68

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GL TDI, 5 speed manual galactic blue w/ 101k miles
my car has the same issue i think it might be the passenger side strut but i haven't noticed until yesterday, i think the tdi engines are bullet proof except the rest of the cars aren't

Jeta Life

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI DSG Auto
Bear in mind that MKIV and V suspensions are quite different. MKV rear control arm bushings are molded into aluminum brackets, not serviceable. The front bushing is replaceable. And MKV sway bar bushings are not available for purchase: you have to buy a new sway bar. But they also don't seem to fail.

Stock MKV 16" wheels are probably one of the most prone to bending of any wheel VW has made.
Hey IBW, totally agree with you on these 16s. I was thinking of going back to the good old fashioned steel wheels due to road conditions I winter with potholes. I can vouch for these 16s bending. Found a local guy who has that mobile machine for the alloy repair. One shop charged me $120 last year for another tire I repaired. This mobile guy is cheaper.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
When your current tires are worn out I'd get new alloys from Tire Rack with tires installed. I'm a bit of a wheel/tire hoarder: I have difficulty buying just tires.

Or go on VWVortex and find some used 16" steelies. Package 0 Jettas came with 16" steel wheels so there may be some around. I always use steel wheels for winter tires because alloys rust and bend in winter.

Jeta Life

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI DSG Auto
I've always been fond of the black "steelies" look. My alloys are the stock ones and they sure don't perform well in winter. I used to be into looks but those steelies sure take a better beating with potholes. Thanks for the VW Vortex idea, I was about to check some junkyards for 16 steelies or keep repairing alloys and dodging potholes.

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine creaked until I replaced the sway bar bushings. I greased them with silicone based grease too.

No creaks at all now, and it was really bad before.
Haha... I came searching for information because my car started creaking...

I uhhh, think I know what to check first....

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Well, this time the creaking sound wasn't from sway bar bushings. It was from the front springs. I sprayed some silicone lube in the spring perch of the front struts and the sounds stopped completely.

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Well look at me back in this thread again, because I searched Google for creaking golf mkiv.

This time my creaking was the skid plate! Unfortunately I didn't figure it out until after I had greased the swaybar bushings and put silicone lube on my upper strut mounts, springs, and all rubber bushings.

Tightening the skid plate bolts got rid of it this time...

ghohouston

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta Sedan TDI 5 Speed
I dont mean to rag on you guys, but seriously, swaybar bushings were that hard for you all? It took me all of 20 minutes tops to remove the old bushings, and install new ones on my mkiv once the wheels were off. Didnt even buy longer bolts, just used channel locks to squeeze the assembly together, even with the original brackets.

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
My left front spring was broken on the very bottom which made a noticeable creak while turning sharply to park. I upgraded to the VR6 springs and am very pleased.

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I dont mean to rag on you guys, but seriously, swaybar bushings were that hard for you all? It took me all of 20 minutes tops to remove the old bushings, and install new ones on my mkiv once the wheels were off. Didnt even buy longer bolts, just used channel locks to squeeze the assembly together, even with the original brackets.
Try it when you're 45 and have recently had knee surgery, a herniated disc in the lower back, and tendinitis in the right shoulder and forearm.

So it takes me about 30 minutes, instead of 20.

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
I don't think Houston has to contend with Winter salt. The left front nut for the sway bar bushing broke loose when I loosened the bolt.

Diesel Fumes

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 alh tdi 5 speed
I have creaking when it's really cold. Noticeable at low speeds or when stopped. Turn the wheel either left or right and it creaks as the wheel turns.

I've replaced ball joints, tie rods, sway bar bushings, and whole strut assemblies.

If the weather outside is warm it doesn't creak. Starts around freezing temps. Anyone know what this might be? Just poor quality parts that I bought? I'm going to try lubing up some bushings and see if that does anything. Everything was professionally installed and wheel alignment done, etc.

irvingj

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon TDI (PD/BEW)
Have you looked at engine mount(s) and the "dog-bone" transmission mount?