Sanity check. Do I want a wiring project?

r3dplanet

TDI
2004 Golf
So I've recently sold off a bunch of my projects and I have a leftover BEW engine from my trashed 2005 Golf in excellent shape. I've been trying to sell it locally but I'm just getting low-ball offers (e.g., "I'll take it off your hands for $100 if you deliver it.")

Today on CL I find a 2002 Golf for $500. It's in good shape, just minus an engine.

So I'm thinking about about getting chocolate in my peanut butter and combining the two.

What I fear is that it needs two wiring projects:

1. Ditch the automatic gearbox and install a manual 5-speed.
2. Somehow wire in the BEW engine where once an ALH belonged.

The mechanics are easy enough for me to do, but the wiring seems like a nightmare. Does anyone want to offer some advice? If I can do it it's cheap project. If I can't it's yet another project that will sit forever. I know that I'll need a lift pump in the tank. But beyond that I don't know if any parts of the harness will mate up.

I'm open to ideas and opinions.

Thanks!

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Do you still have the entire 2005 car? If not, IMHO, it's not worth trying to source all the different bits you'd need to make it work in the older body. Though, I think in a 2002, you already have the correct speed CAN bus.

-J

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
I've done the gas to TDI conversion/swap (relatively easy, but had good directions) but unless you are familiar with what's needed to get done the PD engine swap would make me say no. But, it's been done and with some searching, I'm sure the details are posted somewhere already.
As mentioned, having the complete donor car available makes it a lot more feasible.

r3dplanet

TDI
2004 Golf
Thank you for the input, gentlemen.

I'm no stranger to wiring but electrical systems this modern makes me shy away. I think I'll let this potential project die silently.

Cheers!

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
To bad you didn't have the 05 any more.
I would wonder if the dash cluster would bolt in the older car.

r3dplanet

TDI
2004 Golf
Right? There were a few pieces left in my '05 that I would love to have plundered, but the forces that be didn't allow for that. Having said that I never would have thought to pilfer the wiring harnesses.