Immobilizer - how to reset

TGNY

TDI
2000 TDI
Hi, I am new here, first post. My web search for VW immobilizer issues brought me to this page. I have spent the last 2 days reading up on all the fixes and have tried them all, still nothing works, so thought I would see if there is anything else I can do short of taking it to the dealer.

I bought a 2000 GTI VR6 ( I know this is a TDI forum, but there is such a wealth of info here on immo's) last fall for my teenager, took it for a test drive, no problems. Car has been maintained, complete service records, receipts, 75K on the odometer, body near perfect, etc. It sat all winter and I just got around to getting it on the road this summer as I was out of the country. Anyways, the battery obviously drained, put in a new battery and the immobilizer "seems" to be the issue. I have tried the on button for 20 sec, for 2 hours with and without charger. Tried touching the battery leads together for 30 sec, 30 minutes, etc. to discharge. Checked all fuses, gas is in the tank, fuel filter changed, etc.

Car starts then dies after a few seconds. Immobilizer light stays on solid, does not blink. I have two remote/keys ( I presume original). One operates the locks, one does not. I live fairly far from a dealer and would rather get it running without that hefty cost as it is an older car. Also, not sure if this is related, but the fan stays on after the car is turned on, even though there is no heat in the coolant. I have to disconnect battery to get it to stop. Any thoughts, suggestions, prayers will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

muzy

Veteran Member
TDI
02 jetta TDI
Also, not sure if this is related, but the fan stays on after the car is turned on, even though there is no heat in the coolant.

From what I understand, fans will run if ac is switched on and key is in run position .
Cheers

CoolAirVw

Vendor
TDI
Jetta
I believe immo light would be flashing if the problem was immo.

You might have lost throttle relearn while battery was dead. Gasser cars behave the same way when the throttle relearn is lost. They start then die.

You'll need vag com and a fully charged battery to do the throttle relearn.

It should have some codes to indicate either immo problem or throttle. If you happen to have both then clear and see which ones come back. Then either address the throttle relearn or the immo.

throttle body relearn info.

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/Throttle_Body_Alignment_(TBA)