DSG or 6M?

4bostons

TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6M
I do mostly country driving and would actually prefer the 6M. Are there any benifits to the DSG?

I know there are added maintenance costs with the DSG and when I drove one last weekend I did not like the way the car took off from the line until the engine revved a bit.

Any input on the choice of tranny would be appreciated.

Thanks

Elfnmagik

Veteran Member
TDI
Currently De-Dub'd
Do you have anyone else to consider in this decision? If not, it boils down to which you'd prefer and the associated costs (both initial as well as maintenance/unexpected repairs). Some things to consider are the DSG's complexity. It is not a standard tranny on any level. The fluid changes are every 40k, are somewhat involved and more expensive than standard tranmissions. Also, some (myself included) have had 'not so nice' experience with its driveability. There's also the possibility of permature flywheel failure as seen on some 06's if VW didn't address. As for the manual I can't really comment, but there was quite a few people complaining about the difficulty of releasing the clutch and stalling the vehicle. Others indicated it wasn't an issue.