project B5 wagon in Wichita (charity case?)

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
http://wichita.craigslist.org/cto/1890103577.html

sad story from the owner:
Hi Tom Iam sorry it took so long to answer, but I haven't had internet until today, your area code looks familiar we probably already talked on the phone,
the truth about the car is: it has a salvaje title, it has the original tires, the airbag on the [pasager side deployed, when we bought it, it was running great then my husband and i decided to take
a ttrip to ks city so he made an oil change, diesel cars dont take too much oil so he put more than he should, so it messed up the turbo, we put a new turbo, after we picked it up the windows and the sun roof was not working and it is not speeding like it was. we bought it for 16 000 paid almost 1200 in taxes, paid 1650 for a new turbo and the mechanics are not being responsible for the parts that are not working, Im a hair stylist and my husband is not working (he is going to school) and i can not afford to keep fixing the car, Im aware that im losing almost $8000 but i cant put any
more money in it, if you would like to make an offer please let me know, if you are not interested in it I will totally understand.
The car is in great shape, When is running properly it gives u about 37 mpg.
it would be really cool if someone could help this person out...

mogly

Veteran Member
TDI
MKIV TDI + B5.5V AVF/01E
I think that there are going to be many more stories similar to this with the B5.5s. BSM, plugged sunroof drains, TCs, etc ...

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
$12.5K for a salvage title, no BS gear, over-filled oil, bad windows, bad sunroof, low power ("...it is not speeding like it was"), seller considers taxes paid on it as added value...
Low 44k miles is a plus, but everything else says run away.

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
$12.5K for a salvage title, no BS gear, over-filled oil, bad windows, bad sunroof, low power ("...it is not speeding like it was"), seller considers taxes paid on it as added value...
Low 44k miles is a plus, but everything else says run away.
hence the title: "project" :) the right person could save this (cough, cough.. OilHammer...cough, cough)

I told her that she needs to be realistic about the price because it is a salvage title. I'd rather see this poor lady treated to an honest mechanic instead of someone buying it from her.

Ray_G

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta TDI
I would not mind giving a try at "saving it". I am only a couple of hours away, but no way for 12,500. It would have to be quite a bit south of that to get my attention. 12,500 in good running order with a salvage title might even be tough. I wish her luck on her sale.

Last edited:

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Yeah, the car as it sits (without being seen) is probably only worth half that.

I agree it would be better for the owner to get it [properly] untooefed and then enjoy/drive the car, but they may not be able to do so.

I would gladly come get it and tow it back to STL for a proper fixings.

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Thanks, guys. I've passed this info on to the owner via email. If you want you can contact her with the info from the craiglist ad above.

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
update

got this email today:
Hi Tom
thanks for answering my email.
I apreciate your concern on my car problems and I apreciate the time you take to email me. But I have some good news, there's a person interested in it in Lawrence Ks
and is willing to pay 12500 if it was running properly< so Im going to take my car to the dealership and find out what is wrong with it and this person in lawrence is willing
to pay 10000 as is, or if I can fix it for less I will get it done so it will be sold for 12500, we really need the money for my husband's school otherwise we could just fix it drive
but we did't think of lt before buy ing it. expensive lesson.
thanks again .
rakel

To: rakel_0801@hotmail.com
Subject: Re: your passat
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2010 13:15:27 -0400

Hi again-

I've asked the on-line club for opinions on your car. here is the link: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?p=3088903#post3088903

Club member "oilhammer" is the one I was mentioning in my previous email, but I was mistaken on his location: he is in St. Louis. As you can see in the discussion, he would be willing to look at it. Let me know if you want to contact him privately and I will give you his info.

The consensus on your car is that it is not worth anything near $12500
. If you have it fixed properly, it would be a very good transportation for your family. If you can't afford to fix it you will end up selling it for much less than $12500.

Let me know if you want to contact this honest (and very talented) VW TDI mechanic.
-Tom

is the buyer anyone from tdiclub? :confused:

Last edited:

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
There is an "uneducated" buyer for anything specialy on EbAy trust me i know that sold many junks.
we'll keep that in mind next time you put something up for sale here ;)

dariod

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS TDI
we are also very knowledgable shoppers :)

It is hard to sell car when both parties are knowledgable at least one side needs to be stupid but when both are then the deals are coming thru like crazy.

Now even though I own a VW I would not say people that buy VW are all that knowledgable. I mean face it they bought VW ;)

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I never have any problems selling TDIs here, even at a premium price. In fact, I have sold every single car I ever listed for sale here from someone seeing the post here. Even my Toyota! :)

Some people are actually smart enough to know that you get what you pay for.

dariod

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS TDI
I never have any problems selling TDIs here, even at a premium price. In fact, I have sold every single car I ever listed for sale here from someone seeing the post here. Even my Toyota! :)

Amen to that if I was selling My TDI I would like someone from here to buy since I know they would know what they are doing and would take care of it but would definitely not give it away.

Harvieux

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
06 A5 Pkg.2 w/navi & ASEP
Hey Brian, Where the heck did you hear that one from?;) Here's hoping all is good with you and the family. Man, I still would still love to take you on that incredible breathtaking journey through the desert and up that mountain on my John Deere diesel. Hint: The middle of October through the end of November is the prime time for such a journey and absolutely no TDI wrenching will be permitted.;) Later!

Harvieux

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
06 A5 Pkg.2 w/navi & ASEP
Oh, now you tempt me... you still have Syndiesel for that Gator?
Nah, I burnt the poop out of that synD in it awhile ago.

For those who would be interested. That synD Brian is referring to was the actual fuel left in the barrels that the Audi R10s used in their dominating victories during the ALMS races held at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca. Later!

Last edited:

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
And I though you were doing a Ric and draining abandoned farm tractors for fuel.....