2000 tdi immobilizer/no start

mtbmaniac

TDI
2000 Jetta
2000 tdi manual with 310k miles wont start. Went for a bike ride, and came back to car. went to start in, key to run wait for GP odometer and clock in dash flicker and go blank. Crank engine and no start. The immobilizer appears to be killing it off as it momentarily fires, then dies. Symbol in dash I've never seen is on yellow circle with triangle inside and an exclamation point in that. no GP light when cycling key forward. Immobilizer light on too as well as others. Battery is good as I have a 12v charger that shows voltage 12.4 volts.

Towed car home with another vehicle and a rope(backroads not far). When moving the gauges would flicker in dash almost in sync with the Abs tone ring or vehicle speed sensor.
-pulling my trunk release lever also dims the gauges similar to turning on the headlights at night. releasing the parking brake also does this, but again they flicker back to bright with movement of the vehicle( i can replicate this in my garage my moving it back and forth)

-cleaned grounds under battery(did not look bad or loose)
-cleaned grounds in steering column
scanned with vagcom
-ECU codes p1650 missing message from instrument cluster
-p1570 engine start blocked by immobilizer
-airbags control module in instrument cluster- no communication
-intermittent door switch problem(had this one for a while)

Is my cluster suddenly bad?
tried to follow rosstech instructions to get coding info from ecu for recoding a new cluster if that is the problem, but the "extra" information line when accesing the ECU with vcds is blank. and I cant get the vcds to communicate with the instrument cluster.

Thanks

jetta 97

Vendor
TDI
2 X Jatta MK5 2006
It looks like your cluster went bad.

You have Immo 2 so in EXTRA in ECU will not show nothing. Only 2002+ with Immo 3 will show VIN and Immo ID.
I think I have one cluster for 2000 TDI , you can send me message.

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
No GP light at ignition on would indicate a bad 109 relay, but if the cluster is not indicating correctly, i suppose it's a false alarm.

Last edited: