TDI Fest Nearby Attractions [56k Beware]

Teknojnky

TDI
mk5 2.5
So I took out an image from Google Earth and made a small list of food & drink for you guys which is walking distance.

1- Holiday Inn is your hotel and there's a Comfort Inn sharing pretty much the same paring.

2- Literally accross the street, you have a small shopping complex with a Zellers (similar to Kmart/Target) with a Domino's pizza and a Chez Cora Breakfast. At Chez Cora, they only serve breakfasts, and that until approx 3pm.

3- You have another shopping mall with a Maxi Supermarket, Mckibbons irish pub (live band almost every night) Vinny Gambini's Italian restaurant and a Toys R Us for the kids ammong other stores.

4- Number 4 is kinda tricky. To the left of it you have a Tim Hortons (our answer to Dunkin Donuts) and a Buffalo Wings restaurant which is a fast food with burgers and wings. Above that place, where you have the circle, you have the Cheers bar where all the little "yo" hang out. Next to that place you have a Marlowes. Now I recommend marlowes for various reasons: #1 the older crowd; #2 the atmosphere #3 the drinks. You order a rhum & coke well you get a ½ rhum ½ coke drink just the way it should be done.

5- At number 5 you have a Scarollies italian restaurant and I forgot to add the Moe's Restaurant which is similar to Chillis in terms of menu.

6- Fairview Shopping mall... Sears, The Bay, Gap, Old Navy, Best Buy and then some.

So that's pretty much all the room I had on the image for nearby attractions but there is so much more nearby.

Leo819

Veteran Member
TDI
Thomas C2 School Bus
Tekno... thanks for posting. I have been waiting for someone to post about the area.

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
No shortage of spectacular food in the Montreal area !!!

Not to be missed: next highway exit East from there, off Sources Road (North), the Bar-B-Barn... if you're a Rib addict (as am I...)

One of the finest Lebanese restaurants anywhere: further East, on Marcel-Laurin North: Restaurant Daou...

And many, many, many more places in Montreal proper...

Now I'm getting nostalgic and hungry...

Yuri.

funkshun

TDI
2003 Jetta GLS TDI Wagon, Indigo Blue, 5-speed
There are shopping malls, box stores, fast fooderies, and all the other American icons, but don't be misled, this is a European city and its designed for feet, not wheels. Montreal has the best restaurants, boutiques, cheap hostels, seedy hotels, club nights and people. Montreal is like no other city on the continent, so please, walk around, and don't Americanize your stay.

:)

maniac1181

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
Points of interests and things to do in montreal!

Hi all!!

As I didn't have much to do, I figured I would compile a map highlighting the main streets and POIs in Downtown Montreal! I will continue adding to the map as time passes but please feel free to PM me if you feel I am missing out on a spot and would like me to add it!

Simply click here to see the map!

Looking forward to seeing you all in Montreal!

maniac1181

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
Oh! And also one thing I would like to add for those who will be comming to Montreal (Or Canada) for the first time from the US... Our alcohol is different, usualy stronger than what is available in the states... as an example, our Bud Light is as strong as your regular Budweiser... So if you go out partying, take that into account!

goTDIcandy

Veteran Member
TDI
white 05 Golf
Hi All! My partner & I will be at the TDIFest, but in downtime we'd like to see some of Pointe-Claire. Haven't seen threads for things-to-do --hiking, birding, museums, etc. Where do I look for info?
Thanks!
Kristina

black_and_chrome

Veteran Member
TDI
Black Jetta 2005
whitetdi05 said:
Hi All! My partner & I will be at the TDIFest, but in downtime we'd like to see some of Pointe-Claire. Haven't seen threads for things-to-do --hiking, birding, museums, etc. Where do I look for info?
Thanks!
Kristina
Hiking - Mont Royal - The Mountain the city is named after. It's not in the Point-Claire area, but a must see if you are into hiking thing. It's one of the biggest parks in the Montréal area and can easily be found on Google maps. Also a great spot for birding… If you are into museums, there are many renowned spots. "Le Musee des beau art" (The Museum of fine arts) also a must see... The Old Port has many art galleries and museums to visit as well. The Botanical Gardens, Insectarium and Biodome are all in the same area and this can be a very nice thing to visit if you are into nature. Closer by..., the city is an island surrounded by water. If you take St. Jean blvd south (the Holiday Inn St.) you will get to Point Claire village. There are two great restaurants, Le Gourmand (French cuisine) and Romano’s (Italian) and there is a boardwalk to help you digest all that food.

As previously mentioned in this thread, Montreal is a great city with many sights, please do not stay confined to the surrounding areas and feel free to ask about things to do!

Teknojnky

TDI
mk5 2.5
ymz said:
No shortage of spectacular food in the Montreal area !!!

Not to be missed: next highway exit East from there, off Sources Road (North), the Bar-B-Barn... if you're a Rib addict (as am I...)
I don't want to start a rib debate, but I find the ribs at Baton Rouge much better tasting. Baton Rouge is 6 lights going north on st-john's blvd.

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
Well, the ribs at the Baton Rouge are more than acceptable, but they're a bit "industrial" - as was expected from a restaurant chain... I'm not sure if they were much different from the ones you'd find frozen at your local grocery chain...

The Bar-B-Barn is at least unique... (well, since they have two restaurants perhaps they're not "unique" in the true sense of the word)...

I'd be happy with either one, but still have memories of the glory days of the Bar-B-Barn... (early 1980's... when the downtown restaurant, holding 400 people, would have a lineup going around the block... once we decide that it would be worthwhile driving to the Sources Road location to avoid the lineup... sure enough, that location had an outdoor lineup as well...)

My 2 rib's worth...

Yuri. (always willing to donate my time for scientific research such as this...)

fisker

TDI
nothing
is tat really a cool to visit

tell me some good spots so tat i can spend in meh summer holidsays xD;):):rolleyes: