The Convoy Thread

Harvieux

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
06 A5 Pkg.2 w/navi & ASEP
I may be borrowing from my parents in the Detroit area either their B4V or their 06 A5 pkg. 2 with navi I used to own B4 I gots my new one specified in my signature below and would love to meet up with the Michigan gang and our brother's of Ontario for a hoot of an East bound drive across the 401. It would be great if we were all to meet somewhere in Windsor at a specified time for us to limit the horrific GTA traffic. I will have already loaded the car up with those 12 in a case and larger than 341 ml returnable bottles of Molson Canadian Lager, my absolute favorite on ice out of a cooler. ;) Let's plan on this possibility. Later!

marc_ebing

TDI
2001 Beetle
I am in Vancouver BC, I would love to get a convoy going across Canada, it's only 6500 KM

Cheers

Last edited:

onemonkey

TDI
Jetta '06 TDI
Looking forward to this trip for sure.... can we come to some agreement for a hook up on the 401 near Toronto? Not sure about the 407 solution... not cheap if you reside in Mississauga.... ouch.

If nothing is officialy decided on a meating point around the GTA i might just wait on the hard shoulder waving like a retard at every tdi i see till someone gives me a flash (ow errr!).... is that wrong? lol...

TDIGUY03

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 GLS TDI BLK/BLK (SOLD), 2015 Golf TDI SE, 2011 Golf Sportwagon TDI (Traded for 2018 Atlas)
onemonkey said:
Looking forward to this trip for sure.... can we come to some agreement for a hook up on the 401 near Toronto? Not sure about the 407 solution... not cheap if you reside in Mississauga.... ouch.

If nothing is officialy decided on a meating point around the GTA i might just wait on the hard shoulder waving like a retard at every tdi i see till someone gives me a flash (ow errr!).... is that wrong? lol...
I am going to be living in Milton as of the end of this month and I am working on a convoy for a bunch of people coming up from Windsor so there will definatly be a meeting point in the Toronto area. Once it is decided I will make sure I post when and where.

beachkokopelli

Veteran Member
TDI
VW 2003 Beetle
Just a humble idea

Just an idea, but 2 months or so prior to the ETD, everyone meet up at their local GTG to discuss route plans, phone #'s, fuel stops etc. One or two people are nominated to be the lead driver/ car for that group.

6-8 weeks prior to ETD, all the leads from ALL cities and States then discuss meeting points along the main routes.

4 weeks prior to ETD, final meet at your local GTG to discuss final arrangements, who's staying where etc.

On the day, the front leads should have the best police scanners and GPS's that money can buy. The vehicle at the back of that group has the phone number for the front car of that group and basic tools for basic breakdowns, spare fuel canister/ oil incase anyone from their own group breaks down. The rear car of any group should also have a good police scanner, the phone numbers for the leads of any other groups that will be along that route incase of accidents - hopefully non of our own - traffic jams, road works, breakdowns etc.

Also, with the amount of tolls on those roads, I guess we should start looking into EZpass, for those that don't have one already. I'm in Baltimore, count me in. From what I've read so far, looks like meetings on the outskirts of Richmond. DC. Baltimore. Philly. NY. Albany. and then meet on mass at Champlain.

Anyway, just my thoughts.

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
beachkokopelli said:
Just an idea, but 2 months or so prior to the ETD, everyone meet up at their local GTG to discuss route plans, phone #'s, fuel stops etc. One or two people are nominated to be the lead driver/ car for that group.

6-8 weeks prior to ETD, all the leads from ALL cities and States then discuss meeting points along the main routes.

4 weeks prior to ETD, final meet at your local GTG to discuss final arrangements, who's staying where etc.

On the day, the front leads should have the best police scanners and GPS's that money can buy. The vehicle at the back of that group has the phone number for the front car of that group and basic tools for basic breakdowns, spare fuel canister/ oil incase anyone from their own group breaks down. The rear car of any group should also have a good police scanner, the phone numbers for the leads of any other groups that will be along that route incase of accidents - hopefully non of our own - traffic jams, road works, breakdowns etc.

Also, with the amount of tolls on those roads, I guess we should start looking into EZpass, for those that don't have one already. I'm in Baltimore, count me in. From what I've read so far, looks like meetings on the outskirts of Richmond. DC. Baltimore. Philly. NY. Albany. and then meet on mass at Champlain.

Anyway, just my thoughts.
Good ideas, I like! I like!

I will bring it up at the GTG in Miami on March 10 if there are any TDI'rs there. I don't know if there are many groups down here.:( There are some of us local who have set up a little group, but I don't think any of them will be attending.:(

I'll add that along with at least one scanner, you should have someone monitoring the CB. Sometimes the truckers will rat out a trap while cops are being quite about it. Also they'll chatter about weather and road debris along with everything else.

Coming from FL I can help out as much as possible; picking up stuff, stragglers, road side help, etc. I figure I'll be coming up behind everyone so I can be the "back door" in cb lingo.:cool:

BIG THING - where can I get an EZ Pass??? Can you get one if you don't live in the area that uses one? I was looking into a FastPass when I lived in CA and they said it would work on other systems.:cool: When I move to FL I asked the same thing of SunPass and they said it only worked on their system.:mad: And they were changing from an EZPass system.:mad::mad: After going to the 'fest in PA I knew I wanted one. Just makes life that much easier.:) And think of the sight seeing 20 'dubs, no make that TDI's all caravaning THROUGH the tool both!!:eek:

Last thing, should we get a list, of people and routes, together here on the forum (or this thread)?? Or do you think that's too dangerous w/scams running around on the 'net? It'd be cool to drive up knowing if I just went this way or that I could catch up with a few fellow travlers. And #'s would be cool so we can get together on the way. Maybe we should do window or door signs so we can quickly recognise fellow TDI'rs in route.

I'm getting all excited now and there's still seven months to go!!:rolleyes:

Jason

beachkokopelli

Veteran Member
TDI
VW 2003 Beetle
cops and convoys

Jason, alright mate, no numbers or specific cars or symbols etc on here. I wouldn't even advise route on here. If I were a cop and I knew of a pending rally, be it Sturgis to the Gumball, I'd be doing my homework on pages like this. Dedicated pages on a dedicated website. Buy the TDICLUB license plate. Hook up with the local GTG and set it up from there. See in you seven months

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
Except I have a feeling we wouldn't be doing this for top speed. ;)

At least any route I'd be in wouldn't... :D

beachkokopelli

Veteran Member
TDI
VW 2003 Beetle
American roads

I used to live in Germany where you got fined for going UNDER 50mph on the autobahns - not me of course ;) Then moved back to the UK where the limits 70mph, so everyone goes 80-85 of course. I move here and I feel I could get out my car and walk quicker!!! No wonder there's so many damn accident. You add cruise control and an automatic gear shift to a car, couple that with the slowest speed limits on the widest roads on the planet, and you have a recipe for disaster.

Fest should be good, never been to a car festival before, I told my wife about it last night. Why am I taking time off work to drive all the way to Canada?? Bless. See you guys on the road in 7 months.

troopertripp

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS TDI
Cops are not your problem!

beachkokopelli said:
Jason, alright mate, no numbers or specific cars or symbols etc on here. I wouldn't even advise route on here. If I were a cop and I knew of a pending rally, be it Sturgis to the Gumball, I'd be doing my homework on pages like this. Dedicated pages on a dedicated website. Buy the TDICLUB license plate. Hook up with the local GTG and set it up from there. See in you seven months
I am a cop, trust me we don't care that any group from Hell's Angels to AARP is having a Rally, Poker Run or Convoy. If you are doing 70 in a 35, we don't want you crusing through town. We will even stop traffic so Rally groups stay together. If you are worried about cops, you must have bigger problems than a TDI Convoy on its way to a GTG.

Plan here and have fun here, and there.

Tripp:cool:

RoninTDI

TDI
2001 Golf TDI
Last edited:

beachkokopelli

Veteran Member
TDI
VW 2003 Beetle
Troopertripp, I've never done a TDI rally before, or any rally over here before. I'm used to UK motorbike rallies where both groups, police and eventers, organise which each other what the routes are going to be.

And we won't be doing 70 in a 35 either. Thats just dumb. I just struggle so much doing 55 over here - I'm British.

Anyway, thanks for the input, cheers.

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
The Toronto method seems interesting...

So, everyone that wishes to drive through Ohio:

Would you rather:

1. Go to Montreal past New York City (fastest according to maps)
2. Go to Montreal via Toronto, entering via Buffalo (faster according to maps)
3. Go to Montreal via Toronto, entering via Detroit (may be faster if functional speed limits, and not posted speed limits, are observed)

Last edited:

kromicacid

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL - Fixed
muchrejoicing said:
Is anyone from MD/NJ/Eastern PA taking 87 up?
I think I will be heading up thrusday after work (6ish) and going up 95-87. It says that it takes 7 hours 28 mins, so that would put us in Montreal at 1:30 in the morning if we went straight through and 2 if we stopped for a quick dinner.

Anyone that wants to meet up along the way, let me know! I would love to be part of a convoy that has CB's since i have one.

beachkokopelli

Veteran Member
TDI
VW 2003 Beetle
Maybe we should start looking at points/ places to meet at along 95/87?? I guess I'll start with Junction 38 off 95. As we collect the info and closer to the time, we can make a final list of meeting points and guesstimates for ETA. I'll be off Thursday for sure so I can leave whenever the wifes ready.... The latter tends to run 15-30 minutes behind eastern standard time :)

Spartan1320

TDI
2000 golf Bought in germany
i will be taking 87 on the way up from northern nj ne one know of meeting locations i would really like to hook up with a convoy

Last edited:

muchrejoicing

TDI
04 Golf
I'll be leaving around 6ish, too, but from Harrisburg. If I take 81/84 up, there should be a good meeting place where 84 and 87 connect. I'll be heading that way in May, I'll check it out.

kromicacid- If I just get a cheapo CB from Wal Mart, will that work?

vikingrob

Veteran Member
TDI
2021 Tesla Model 3 (delivery estimate May 2021)
muchrejoicing said:
I'll be leaving around 6ish, too, but from Harrisburg. If I take 81/84 up, there should be a good meeting place where 84 and 87 connect. I'll be heading that way in May, I'll check it out.

Probably where I would recommend meeting might be the first service area north of I-84, about 9 miles north of I-84 per the Thruway website.

goTDIcandy

Veteran Member
TDI
white 05 Golf
tdifest 07

Hi! My partner & I are driving up from Doylestown, PA. We're interested in joining the convoy but what if we want to jump off the route, or if we're not leaving the same time?
whitetdi05

beachkokopelli

Veteran Member
TDI
VW 2003 Beetle
WhiteTDI05, its not a UN/ military convoy mate, you can come and go as you want ;) Closer to the time, I'll route map the whole thing and paste it on here. Route, meeting points and times etc.

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
Kind of off topic, but how is the "realistic" travel time from DC to Montreal? I am considering catching a Senators' game (GO GIANTS!!) on Friday then driving up that night/early morning. BUT, it sounds like the drive time will put arrival into middle of Saturday if I do this.:(

Also, is there anyone plannig driving up late Friday/early Sat? Possibly because of work??? I would like to convoy on up and it would be more fun:). This all hinges around the game of course.

If the game is a no go I'll be coming up from FL or Alabama(dad). I95 up to Virginia seams fast, but slows a lot getting any futher north. Any ideas from people who have made this trip (general idea;) ) on better routes? I heard suggestions to veer over into Ohio and come across. That may work out if I can meet up with the Texans coming up.

Like everyone else this is all early planning to get ideas rolling. Throw 'em out if ya got 'em.

Jason

kromicacid

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL - Fixed
muchrejoicing said:
i got the same one that steathtdi has. it requires a little bit of instal (power wire and antenna). i would assume that a wallymart would work the same...

inti132

TDI
'03 TDI GL ~185HP
In Fairfield CT

Would love to join in on a convoy for fun......let me know when and where.......TDIfest 07 should be the biggest thing yet from what i'm seeing......