The Convoy Thread

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
Does anyone want to think about routes to set up convoys?

If we could get a nice big convoy going, I might be convinced to drive up to Montréal.

I'd suggest doing this, if you want to be in a convoy.

Post a link to Google's directions to Montréal, QC, Canada, from your town.
Post any where you would like to go along the way.

Then, we can start to decide routes for convoys, meeting points, etc., etc.

I'll start:

Directions from Marengo, OH to Montréal
Stops I would like to make:
  • I-71 Exit 151, Sunoco. Biodiesel top-off. Possible meeting point.

Zippy_car

Trouble Maker
TDI
Previously:'02 Jetta. Now: '13 Subaru XV Crosstrek!
Great idea!

bh! I'm glad you're posting this early! I think it's a great idea! I was personally part of a NE convoy to PA last fest, and it was the coolest thing flying down the Garden State Parkway, weaving through traffic, keeping everyone together.

If this will get you there, lets see if we can make it happen!
Good luck! Thanks for organizing this! :D

bhtooefr

TDI
None
And this isn't for just one convoy. I'm thinking, make multiple convoys. :)

I was posting it early because if these get big, deciding on locations could be a logistic NIGHTMARE. ;)

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
Well, I'll be coming up 71. However, I think this will be a two day trip for us. 915 miles in one hop is not fun anymore. I'm thinking 600 miles the first day, and a leisurely cruise the second.

Last edited:

kromicacid

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL - Fixed
Ill be coming from Philly, and would love to have a little convoy headed north.

Ive even got the CB all hooked up w/ a good whip...

TDIGUY03

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 GLS TDI BLK/BLK (SOLD), 2015 Golf TDI SE, 2011 Golf Sportwagon TDI (Traded for 2018 Atlas)
We have a group started in Windsor already to come up. Basically 401 the whole way. Anyone coming through Detroit could meet up with us in Windsor. maybe stop in London if there is a group there or people coming from Sarnia down the 402 and somewhere in Toronto. We could get a pretty big convoy going down the 401.

TDIGUY

NathanMSL

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 2005, PD100, white
Ok, bhtooefr you beat me to starting this thread. I'll be starting out in Alvin, just south of Houston. It looks like we'll be able to join your convoy somewhere in Ohio. Now some questions

1. What speed to travel?
2. How long between stops?
3. Stop for the night or keep going?
4. Two drivers mandatory? (for continuous driving)
5. How long for stops?
6. Dine-in or carry-out?
7. Drive up together and everyone for themselves coming back?

I'm planning on contacting businesses along my route to try and set up group discounts on fuel, food, and lodging. So, If your interested in the convoy let me know. I need to start collecting a headcount of those interested.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=Marengo,+OH+43334+to+Montr%C3%A9al,+QC,+Canada&ie=UTF8&z=6&ll=42.940339,-78.244629&spn=7.863884,14.853516&om=1

Last edited:

NathanMSL

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 2005, PD100, white
Got to have something to plan for. If we can start thinking about it now then when the time comes everything will work out great.

Now what was that saying about "The best laid plans" :)

bhtooefr

TDI
None
1. I'm thinking speed limit.
2. 500 miles, +/- 20 miles between fuel stops is my suggestion, but if other people drive less efficient vehicles on this convoy... And, we'd have to hash out other stops.

Other than that, I'm not sure. Myself, I was planning on one 13 hour long sprint to Montréal. But, that could easily change. I would likely not have a second driver.

Anyway, you said it best. Planning this far out is a GREAT idea.

paramedick: If you're coming up 71, that makes the Mt. Gilead Sunoco a great meeting point. B20 right off of the interstate. :D

fishmando

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta 5 spd
This brings images of BMW's passing in the break down lane to mind... (Techademics Gumball 3000 Movie anyone?) I can't wait!

bhtooefr

TDI
None
Hey, we can't make this a race to Montréal!

I only have 52 horsepower! :p

(Yes, I know, it's not a race, it's a rally. :p)

brucetmoose

Veteran Member
TDI
Used to own a 2002 Jetta TDI - Black/Black
Wouldn't mind hooking up on I90 and/or I81 somewhere for a convoy

I'm halfway between Rochester and Syracuse, would not have a problem meeting up at one of the rest areas to convoy. There is one right after exit 43 on the Thruway ( I90 - Palmyra exit ) heading east and there is one on I81 in Preble and also one farther north after crossing I90.

Because many going east would probably go through Buffalo or Detroit, I think the I81 idea would be better for those heading up from the South and points west up to Rochester. I was going to say the one north of I81 so that it's not a backtrack for anyone, Preble is backtracking 30 miles for those of us in Rochester. However, read below because that one is pretty close to the border.

One other note about I81 - rest areas are scarce. Northbound, there's one at the border of PA/NY, then one at milepost 60, then the next one is at milepost 174. Interstate 90 intersects at milepost 89. I have no idea why NY State doesn't have more rest areas on this road. Parking areas do NOT have restrooms. The rest areas don't have any food services other than vending machines either. Here's our suggestion as for where to really stop:

1 - At the border of NY/PA (if you need to use the bathroom)
2 - Cortland - Exit 11 - TONS of food stops here of every type

We're not that familiar with I81 north of Syracuse, time to do a road trip to scout out locations! Thinking of maybe somewhere around exit 37 which is at milepost 128.

Open to suggestions.

Last edited:

Bill DeWitt

TDI
2006 TDI, Plat. Grey Pack. #2
I was thinking about coming through St. Louis, Mo. on I-70 to Columbus, Ohio, I-71 to I-76 to I-80 Through Youngstown, Ohio and on I-80 to I-81 to Binghamton, N.Y., I-88 to Albany, N. Y. then I-87 to Montreal, Canada.
1450 miles from Southern Missouri to Montreal with my DVD Nav.

Have contact between cars with cb radios and signs on drivers side and back of cars "follow me to the TDI International Fest in Montreal"

Bill DeWitt
West Plains, Mo.

vikingrob

Veteran Member
TDI
2021 Tesla Model 3 (delivery estimate May 2021)
brucetmoose said:
I'm halfway between Rochester and Syracuse, would not have a problem meeting up at one of the rest areas to convoy. There is one right after exit 43 on the Thruway ( I90 - Palmyra exit ) heading east and there is one on I81 in Preble and also one farther north after crossing I90.

Because many going east would probably go through Buffalo or Detroit, I think the I81 idea would be better for those heading up from the South and points west up to Rochester. I was going to say the one north of I81 so that it's not a backtrack for anyone, Preble is backtracking 30 miles for those of us in Rochester. However, read below because that one is pretty close to the border.

One other note about I81 - rest areas are scarce. Northbound, there's one at the border of PA/NY, then one at milepost 60, then the next one is at milepost 174. Interstate 90 intersects at milepost 89. I have no idea why NY State doesn't have more rest areas on this road. Parking areas do NOT have restrooms. The rest areas don't have any food services other than vending machines either. Here's our suggestion as for where to really stop:

1 - At the border of NY/PA (if you need to use the bathroom)
2 - Cortland - Exit 11 - TONS of food stops here of every type

We're not that familiar with I81 north of Syracuse, time to do a road trip to scout out locations! Thinking of maybe somewhere around exit 37 which is at milepost 128.

Open to suggestions.
I've been on the stretch of I-81 from Syracuse to the 401 before, and can attest to the lack of facilities along that road.

Me? Probably crossing into Canada at Port Huron (I-69/94, Hwy 402), since the route allows me to bypass Detroit. I will just have to deal with traffic in the Chicago and Toronto areas.

wny_pat

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
bhtooefr - you guys could always stop off at Wyoming, NY (just south of Leroy, NY I-90) and visit Brock Yates at the Cannonball Run Pub. Yes, the real Brock Yates. He owns the pub. It is full of pictures and memorabilia from the movie "Cannonball Run". Who knows, you could all end up on the cover of Car and Driver!

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
My wife and I will be road tripping to the NE the week leading up to the fest so we'll be in the area. Should be a great trip - it is mostly food based so if you have any suggestion on where to pick up an awesome dog or a pizza please let me know. I don't know where we'll be when (still haven't planned the trip) but it would be nice to know where people will be gathering and when they will be taking off.

Last edited:

Sootman

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI
We'll have to see what the NE crowd does for this trip. Looking at Mapquest I could easily meet up with the gang in Manchester, NH then I-89 to Montreal. I'm hoping to have my car back by the time of the Fest:eek:. Should be fun seeing everyone.

vikingrob

Veteran Member
TDI
2021 Tesla Model 3 (delivery estimate May 2021)
Twin Cities and Chicago crowds: Where do you want to cross: Port Huron (I-69/94), Detroit (Ambassador Bridge or the tunnel), Buffalo (Peace Bridge), or Thousand Islands (I-81)?

TDIGUY03

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 GLS TDI BLK/BLK (SOLD), 2015 Golf TDI SE, 2011 Golf Sportwagon TDI (Traded for 2018 Atlas)
vikingrob said:
Twin Cities and Chicago crowds: Where do you want to cross: Port Huron (I-69/94), Detroit (Ambassador Bridge or the tunnel), Buffalo (Peace Bridge), or Thousand Islands (I-81)?
If you guys cross in Detroit you could possibly meet up with us Windsor guys then London and Toronto along the way. Anyone coming through Sarnia could meet us in London.