Traveling from the US to Canada

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Should note that the "criminal inadmissability" situation is equally true for Canadian citizens crossing into the USA. A friend of mine got refused entry to the USA a couple of months ago because (after some 20 years of routinely crossing the border without any problems) US Immigration figured out that he had a vandalism conviction on his young-offender record ... which should have automatically been wiped clean when he turned 18, but some dufus bureaucrat didn't do it. It's fixed now, but it caused some aggravation at the time.

alphaseinor

TDI Innovator, Gone but Not Forgotten
TDI
'03 Jetta TDI 780,000 miles (totaled out), 01 Audi TT 225 Quattro 230,000 Miles (runs great!), 00 Cabreetle Beetle dash, ALH & MK4 harness Swap
Remember the speed limits are in KPH... not MPH... 100 doesn't mean 100

ARMY

TDI
Current is 2009 TDI 140K - Former VWs 2003 Bora TDI + 2004 Touareg V6
I live in Windsor, ontario - right acrossed the river from Detroit. I found that crossing far less a hassle then the Buffalo one. The easiest would be the NY/Cornwal one near the native reserve. They are very relaxed. I lived about 20 mins from Montreal for a year, in the army's Language school. after 11 months and fluent French, then french still would pretend they didnt understand. Word of advice, if they pretend to not understand your french - speak english. Most will pretend they dont speak english, and many will pretend they dont understand your french.

In Ontario 100kph will get you passed by grandma - but it is the limit. I can tell you this, 114kms is first time you see points so no cops worrying about 113 or less. Most OPP set the radar gun for 130. 120-125 is fairly safe to drive at - You can go faster in some spots, but you need to know where its okay. A heads up.... Chatham/Kent is usually a heavy radared area as well as Londons outer sections, they hide on on ramps while one cops is on over pass or median and Lazers ya! Windsor to Chatham is fine Ridgetown to London fine and far side of london to Quebec is fine. I used to live up north in the Barrie area and worked in Windsor, so for 4 years I traveelled atleast 2-3 times a week both directions. Yeah 2002 tdi with 300k on it hehe. if you wanna be safe 120 is cool for nearly all areas. Technically... Licence plate covers are not allowed unless clear with no tint. I have been pulled over from light blue tint. SO keep that in mind. Thats about it.
GL and see yas there

Last edited:

brucetmoose

Veteran Member
TDI
Used to own a 2002 Jetta TDI - Black/Black
Starting the Alice's Dealership Anti-CARB TDI Movement

whitedog said:
The correct question should be, "Kid, did you ever go to court?"
I then proceeded to tell Officer Obie about the garbage laws that the CARB's left and he said:

"Kid, haven't you heard it's ok to bring in TDI's as long as it's over 7.5k miles old ?"

So right then and there I decided to start the Alice's Restaurant Anti-CARB TDI movement. All you have to do is wait for it to come around on the Guitar that VW is selling on all 2006's, here it comes now.

"You can get any TDI you want at Alice's Restaurant".

Note - Thanks go to whitedog for correctly pointing out to me it's Officer Obie, not Odie. Good catch :)

Last edited:

brucetmoose

Veteran Member
TDI
Used to own a 2002 Jetta TDI - Black/Black
Moved to VW General group

After some thought - I agree - Sorry to have flooded this thread - I have moved this.

Last edited:

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
What a waste of space just above by bmoose. How is this relevant to crossing the border for the '07 Fest which is this thread's topic? :eek: :confused:

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
CoolWht said:
What a waste of space just above by bmoose. How is this relevant to crossing the border for the '07 Fest which is this thread's topic? :eek: :confused:
Relevancy is well... relevant.

It was just a very well done, little diversion. We'll get back to the regular programming now.

And uh.... That song was written when many folks were crossing the border to Canada.

Yeah... that's the tie-in.:D

Fyrman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Black
OK. You Americans have missed probably the most important warning for travelling in Canada. We have real beer. You are NOT accustomed to it. Don't try and be a hero, just take it slow.There's nothing worse than an American, all messy on his third beer, ODing (overdancing) with some Canadian Lumberjack's girlfriend on the dance floor. The results are never pleasant. And leave your hockey jersey's home, you'll just end up with it stretched over your head!

Now, don't get me wrong, we are here to help you through this. I, personally will be available to sample a few of the local barley sandwiches with my favorite neighbors from the south. I can teach you the proper thirst quenching techniques on how to use our beer to enable you to meet some of the finest legion queens Montreal has to offer. Do you own a dart jacket or a bingo hall sweater? Bring it, it'll help. We will keep you directed towards the right type of women, have no fear. Experience the diversity of the local language. Try things like "Vous sembleriez le bon nettoyage ma maison." and "Vous ne gaspillez pas l'argent sur la pâte dentifrice, vous ?"

Practise those and you'll have no problem with our women at all. They'll be all over you. :cool:

Feel free to buy me a beer! :D

Radman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Audi A6 TDI, 2014 Touareg TDI
Heck Ill buy you 2 beers just to see you say those above phrases to any women:D You will just end up wearing the beers anyways:p

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
Wow, Google Translator made a translation that almost made perfect sense! :eek:

And, note to self: DON'T say those phrases. :p

Radman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Audi A6 TDI, 2014 Touareg TDI
Should any US vendors have issues bringing items in you are welcome to ship them to me and I will hold them for you. You will need to have all customs forms etc available and declare what you are bringing in.

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
This is related to my question of Canadian vendors not resident in Quebec complying with the provincial sales tax and possible restrictions on retail Quebec sales on Sunday and/or holiday (Labor day)...

I'll PM the organizers about this, as there are a few vendors I'd like to get interested in this...

Yuri.

Bullitt_TDI

TDI
Grocery Getter
Radman said:
Should any US vendors have issues bringing items in you are welcome to ship them to me and I will hold them for you. You will need to have all customs forms etc available and declare what you are bringing in.
Thanks Radman. It was great to have someone local at the Valley Forge Fest for vendors to ship too.

TDIinRI

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 GOLF silver
We have been working on customs requirements for U.S. Vendors. We ask that you site tight right now on this. We have contacted a customs brokering agency for assistance. We would like to arrange it so that all US vendors have a letter allowing them to bring their goods into Canada without having to do a customs inspection at the border. Their goods will then by cleared by a customs agent at the hotel. There is a nominal cost for this, but it seems to be the easiest route as the brokerage firm handles all paperwork. There will be more info on the specifics in the near future. If there are any specific concerns/needs from any vendor, please contact me and we will address them as we work on this issue.

Last edited:

vikingrob

Veteran Member
TDI
2021 Tesla Model 3 (delivery estimate May 2021)
For buyers taking items back to the United States, does Quebec refund sales tax? I know Canada will refund GST under certain circumstances.

TDIinRI

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 GOLF silver
Quebec does not refund the 7.5% PST, or Provincial Sales Tax. As of now, in order to qualify for a GST refund, one must spend a minimum of CAD$200. HOWEVER, each receipt you sumbit must be a minimum of CAD$50 BEFORE TAXES!! Also, there is no refund available on fuels or meals, but hotel rooms do count. Other than that, any goods that you are claiming GST refund for have to be with you when leaving Canada. If you do not meet the CAD$200 minimum, you can save your receipts and combine them with those from another trip. They are valid for one year. Remember to have the receipts for any goods being exported out of Canada stamped by Customs Canada. This is especially true if you are mailing in your GST refund and not applying for it on the spot at a Duty-Free shop at the border.

Unfortunately, it seems that the GST rebate programme is scheduled to be no more effective 1st April, 2007. Thus, no GST refund will be available for goods, services, and accomodations purchased during the Fest. =( (Sometimes you loathe what you find when you do a google search to get more info) There is rumor that this programme might be extended. We will update if any changes come about.

POET250

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI GLS
Another idea for the cell phones is to have your carrier unlock your phone if it uses sim cards and buy a prepay sim card up there. I am not sure on the rates of prepaid in Canada but the idea holds when traveling abroad as well.

bhtooefr said:
Cell Phone Information

I decided to look this stuff up, based on some stuff in the Convoy thread. PM me if you want info for another carrier to be added, if I can find it on the website, or you have it from a phone call.

Alltel

Voice cost per minute: $0.20
Discounted rate: $3.99 per month (Reduced Toll Rate), $0.10 per minute

Cingular

Voice cost per minute: $0.79
Discounted rate: $5.99 per month (World Traveler), $0.59 per minute

Nextel

Voice cost per minute: $0.20
Data cost per minute: "free trial" (?)
Notes: Must call Nextel to activate international dialing privileges, only "internet ready" phones will work

Sprint

Voice cost per minute: $0.65
Data cost per KB: $0.002
Notes: Must call Sprint to activate International Roaming

T-Mobile

Voice cost per minute: $0.49
Data cost per KB: $0.01

Verizon

Voice cost per minute: $0.69
Notes: Has a Canada roaming package (don't know info on it)

Please bear with me as I look more up...

bhtooefr

TDI
None
That works for T-Mobile and Cingular, but not Alltel, Nextel (well, maybe it does for Nextel, not sure), Sprint, or Verizon.

POET250

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI GLS
well i had heard that some verizon phones do use sim cards or that you have to pay extra for them. I don't know doesn't apply to me

bhtooefr

TDI
None
Well, that's only for specific international roaming models, that won't be necessary in Canada.

CoriolisSTORM

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta BRM DSG
ARMY said:
...they hide on on ramps while one cops is on over pass or median and Lazers ya!
This is the bane of many a Mercedes guy here. Is this what is referred to as "wolfpacking?" A guy from the DOT (in their little white pickups) sets out in the median "surveying" and they have at least 10 state troopers lined up on the next on ramp waiting to get ya from the concealed radar gun that he carries. Evidentally he radioes it to them what car is speeding and such. Its not a good thing at all. There's no telling how many MB people have been pulled over due to that. 100 MPH seems to be their minimum anyway. That being said, since I dont own a TDI yet, you guys have fun there and yeah, hockey jerseys dont belong there if you're not a cannuck. How 'bout wearing their rivals' soccer jersey? :D

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
Teejay said:
One thing I noticed about driving in Montreal.. good luck finding streets. Every intersection, the street sign was in a different spot, some were tucked away behind trees, or buildings. Also, Montreal drivers are NUTS.

Do remember to signal when changing lanes, but a cautionary note: the general rule in Montreal; first signal flash is courtesy, second signal flash better get moving. If you are changing lanes and you wait till the third flash to move, they do NOT let you in.

On a side note.. I cant wait!
In Montreal I find it is often best to use the element of surprise. If there's a hole in the other lane, and you need it (for example, upcoming exit, which given the quirks of Montreal can be from the LEFT lane of an expressway), sometimes it's best to just hop in it without signalling. For some, a turn signal is an invitation to a contest to see who can fill the hole first. On the other hand if the person at the back of the hole is a semi-trailer, I would recommend signalling.

thenewguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 TDI Sportwagen, 2000 Jetta GLS TDI
I was listening to NPR today on the way home from work, they have delayed requiring US passports for land / sea crossings to / from the US from our neighbors until probably January 2008. The business lobbyists from the border states (especially the New Englanders) were successful in delaying the implementation, as they are afraid our northern friends wouldn't cross the border to shop if they need to have passports. Just FYI. Also, for the Montreal natives....it wouldn't be a wise idea to bring the Sabres jersey (they WILL win the Cup this year), and where do we go for the best poutine? And bring on the beer, I hope you aren't planning on simply plying us with Molson, Labatts, and Moosehead!!! :) I've been to Montreal only once before, and I cannot wait to get back. Beautiful city.

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
You really need to look at some of our micro-breweries, Molsons and Labatt's is so passé. I myself have graduated from Canadian to Belgian abbey-brewed beers. Now there's beer with horsepower. If you want to know how a Belgian monk survived the privations of Lent...just try a good Belgian beer. You can get some in Quebec but you may have to go to a liquor store. One that's available in grocery stores is Leffe Blonde. My favourite everyday beer, but beware, it has more torque than a Rocketchipped PD!