TDIFest 2007 is coming to Montréal, Canada

Radman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Audi A6 TDI, 2014 Touareg TDI
TDI Meister all you need to now is how tom say 'Voulez Vous Coucher Avec Moi se Soir' to the lovely Montreal ladies and all will be fine:p Sure hope you can make it Dave. Same goes for all my New England friends and Ontario buddies. You guys have no excuses:rolleyes: ! Less than a 6 hour drive for most! Heck Im in Boston right now for work:) Hope to see you all there, Montreal is a great city with much to offer for the whole family. You wont be disappointed:)

brucetmoose

Veteran Member
TDI
Used to own a 2002 Jetta TDI - Black/Black
Everyone is correct about the passport requirements for fly-in's/drive-in's

As a confirmation, everyone who quoted Jan 2007 as being the year passports are required - that is for flying in only, the drive-in's don't take effect until Jan of 2008.

Since I am so close to the border and like to take the kids on occasion, I thought it would be a good time to "bite the bullet" so to speak and get passports now before the line at the post office gets any longer. Plus the fact that some of the training centers for classes I might have to go to are located in Montreal, Ottawa, and Toronto. And each is really within an easy driving distance from me.

Radman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
For those of you who need or already have Passports I highly reccomend you get them renewed (if not already) I think it is much easier to cross if you have one. I barely got asked any questions when crossing this morning. They scanned my Passport and just asked where and why I was going and thats it. I hope people will not be deterred to come just because of this issue. Make sure you have a valid ID either Drivers license or Birth Certificate (read info posted by VWDerf) and you should be fine. Unless you have a criminal record or are wanted:p

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
We'll be there too!

Good times!

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
Radman said:
Make sure you have a valid ID either Drivers license or Birth Certificate...
AND not "or". It is necessary to match the person with the citizenship status.

A driver's license matches the person via the picture to the name, but driver's licenses are legally issued to non-US citizens (foreign university students, for example).
A birth certificate matches the name to the citizenship status, but has no picture to match the name to the person showing it.
Both the government issued picture-and-name ID plus an acceptable document of citizenship with the same name are needed.
Or a passport alone since it is proof of citizenship of the person matching the picture therein.

Last edited:

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
Lug_Nut said:
AND not "or". It is necessary to match the person with the citizenship status.

A driver's license matches the person via the picture to the name, but driver's licenses are legally issued to non-US citizens (foreign university students, for example).
A birth certificate matches the name to the citizenship status, but has no picture to match the name to the person showing it.
Both the government issued picture-and-name ID plus an acceptable document of citizenship with the same name are needed.
Or a passport alone since it is proof of citizenship of the person matching the picture therein.
How about a Sociable Security card?

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
Radman said:
TDI Meister all you need to now is how tom say 'Voulez Vous Coucher Avec Moi se Soir' to the lovely Montreal ladies and all will be fine:p Sure hope you can make it Dave.
I will do my very best to come. And if I do, I will bring along a native von dem Vaterland. :D There's a reason why I have been online so little over the past two months... :D

WPB TDI FRED

TDI
03 JETTA - Stick
TDIMeister said:
I will do my very best to come. And if I do, I will bring along a native von dem Vaterland. :D
Ausgezeichnet !! Ausgezeichnet!! I have no problem with saying to the lovely ladies from Deutschland: He wurde reizender Verlust, wie Sie mögen über das Pumpe Dusse im heutigen Techlernabschnitt erlernen?:D

HOWEVER, I may be apprehensive in saying something like

Radman said:
'Voulez Vous Coucher Avec Moi se Soir' to the lovely Montreal ladies...
I mean, for example, is there such thing as a "Canadian kiss", and if so, what is THAT like ?? :D At least in Paris, one knows exactly what they are getting if they say something like: Bonjour dames. Comment vous tout aime se renseigner sur le Pumpe Dusse dans le divan après que la session de technologie soit terminée plus tardive ce soir. :D Are there any lovely ladies from Paris in Montreal?? :D

TDIinRI

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 GOLF silver
WOW, I am elated at all the interest in this years fest location. With people from as far away as Germany, Texas, and Wyoming expressing interest in comming, the pressure is on for our group to put on an awesome event for you guys!!! And awesome it will be! There are some points I'd like to make and some questions I'd like to answer. Perhaps this will shed some light on for you. Please post questions, concerns, and thoughs here so that we can address them.

Passport issues:
There is another thread in this section dealing with this issues. If you are comming from the USA, PLEASE read it!!
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=157486

Car rental/Transportation from airport:

We do not expect to have huge numbers of people comming into Montreal by air (though we hope to be proved wrong). Since there will be so many members with cars at the Fest, we are going to arrange a shuttle service for members flying in to be picked up by volunteers. This will be a great way to meet new people and help out.

Many of the activities will be centered around the hotel itself. While you may find a car necessary to leave the hotel and explore, keep in mind that there will be plenty of members at the Fest with cars heading out around the city and elsewhere. Ask to join them and carpool. Most won't mind and it is a good way to connect and meet others!

I recommend that you rent a car only if you absolutely have to. Quebec province is an extremely expensive place to rent a car. The taxes on car rentals are outragious. So, if you are considering renting, make sure you get a price WITH TAXES INCLUDED before you decide!

Language Concern:

Montreal is a bilingual city. As a tourist, you will not need to speak French, though it is appreciated! In almost every situation a tourist will encounter, they will be able to speak English. Of course there might be a few exceptions, but that is what is fun about being in a foreign country. However, rest assured that you will be able to get by without issue.
Once we get closer to the fest, a guide will be put up online with some hints for the traveler comming to Montreal for the first time. This will include some basic translation of roud signs that you may encounter. In some areas, there is more English than others, so it will be useful to know a few key words.

Example: When you see a sign that says Rue Barr
é, it mean Street Closed and not Barré Street =) It will also contain useful information such as the fact that right turns on red are illegal on Montreal Island.

We hope to provide everyone is more information than they need! So if we are missing something or you are wondering about something, do not hesitate to let a member of the planning committee know!

TDIinRI

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 GOLF silver
They are good for 10 years.

As posted in the travel from USA to Canada thread:
a passport in not required but recommended. I, however, would like to implore all of you to get a passport. It will make life easier. They cost less than $100, are good for 10 years, and are a form of picture ID accepted the world over!

Honestly guys, if you can spare the extra cash, get a passport. It speeds things up at the border and is such a useful document to have.

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
I worked in the US for 2 1/2 years between late 2000 until early 2003, and with only one harrowing exception carried my passport without fail as I crossed the border almost every single weekend within that span.

I got used to it and afterwards still presented my passport at crossings. I've never, EVER been hassled at the border.

BlueCTTDi

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf GLS (PD) - Indigo Blue
TDIinRI said:
They are good for 10 years.

As posted in the travel from USA to Canada thread:
a passport in not required but recommended. I, however, would like to implore all of you to get a passport. It will make life easier. They cost less than $100, are good for 10 years, and are a form of picture ID accepted the world over!

Honestly guys, if you can spare the extra cash, get a passport. It speeds things up at the border and is such a useful document to have.
Thanks Tommy!

exactly what I was wondering, because I'd rather just do it now instead of waiting until the last minute and having to scramble next July / August.

:)

kromicacid

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL - Fixed
If you are going to get a passport, then you should get it several months in advance. The government can take some time getting them issued to you, even though there is a way to PAY $$$ to get it quicker.

Jetter_Sprinta

Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor
TDI
2 Peeps sharing 1 UseYerName//an array of cars
Radman said:
For those of you who need or already have Passports I highly reccomend you get them renewed (if not already) I think it is much easier to cross if you have one. I barely got asked any questions when crossing this morning. They scanned my Passport and just asked where and why I was going and thats it.....
If they'll let him in, they'll let anyone in:D !

Dude, you were in Beantown and did not look us up? It's OK (Rad)man, I'm more hurt than angry;) ! I was really thirsty this week too!

Last edited:

TheGrove

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL Premium Opera Red - Dieselgate Fix, KermaTDI Tune, 2004 Passat GLS Northern Green-RIP
kromicacid said:
If you are going to get a passport, then you should get it several months in advance. The government can take some time getting them issued to you, even though there is a way to PAY $$$ to get it quicker.
It takes about 6 weeks to get a passport using the standard processing - but I still wouldn't wait. I just got one for a cruise we took to Bermuda the middle of October. We applied the 1st of July and the passport arrived the 20th of August. You can choose expidited processing which saves, I think, about 3-4 weeks from the processing time. Also supposedly you can actually go stand in line and get same day service - at least in Washington DC - I'm not sure about anyplace else.

And if there is any problems with paperwork you will need more time. For example, my mom who went didn't have a birth certificate (born at home in 1928, doctor didn't have to file and didn't). So we had to get 1 - an affidavid from her sister that said she was born in CA and didn't have a certificate. 2 - a copy of the closes census report showing she was reported on the census. And 3 - a letter/certificate from CA saying that there was no birth certificate on file. This ended up adding about 3 weeks onto the processing time for her passport.

J double R

Fail Train Conductor
TDI
'00 Golf 4 door
TheGrove said:
Also supposedly you can actually go stand in line and get same day service - at least in Washington DC - I'm not sure about anyplace else.
there is a place in Boston to do this as well.. they require us in the military to have passports now too, so i can easily find out if there are any more.

Radman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetter_Sprinta said:
If they'll let him in, they'll let anyone in:D !

Dude, you were in Beantown and did not look us up? It's OK (Rad)man, I'm more hurt than angry;) ! I was really thirsty this week too!
I heard you were out of BEER so did not bother contacting you:p Sorry was on a tight schedule:eek:

WPB TDI FRED

TDI
03 JETTA - Stick
VW Derf said:

I'm proud to announce that TDIFest 2007 will be hold in Montréal, Canada on the Labour Day weekend (August 31, 2007 - September 2, 2007). This will be the second time TDIFest has been north of the US border and promises to be another fun fill weekend.
I believe Montréal is a good choice, and I will consider attending, but waayy too early for me to decide that in November 2006.

The publication of the "winning bid" on pdf link was interesting and helpful for future guidance, but rather simplistic.

HOWEVER, what I am wondering about is: 1) What where the other choices/cities available, if any, for the '07 Fest decision, and 2) How exactly is the decision-making process made to decide on the "winning" bid/city for a Fest gathering.

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
Although I m not sure if this is true or not......I believe the Montreal Bid was the only one submitted......
And I believe this to be the case in all of the other fest's......
Fred Vogelmier the owner of this site makes this decision!

Biohoward

TDI
2006 TDI, PKG 2
General Passport Info

I applied for my passport several months ago so I am good for the next 10 years. However here are a couple of notes of interest

get a passport picture, I got mine at a local drugstore for $7.50

Go to the local post office and present your picture to the clerk and they in turn will give you a form to fill out.
Fill out the form, answer all of the questions and you are good to go. Your passport will be mailed back to your home.

You have to provide a certified copy of your birth certificate and they will send it back with your completed passport.

I paid $90.00 USD, I paid in CASH and it took about 5 weeks to get the passport returned to me.

Hope this helps

2006 was my firest TDI Fest and I am hoping to attend the 2007 TDI Fest because I had a great time, met some really nice folks and I learned a few things along the way. I will be driving up from Illinois and I hope to make a stop to see Niagara Falls before returning home.

:):):):):):)