TDIFest 2007 is coming to Montréal, Canada

david_594

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS Silver
Oh man :( . All the hotels claim to have free wireless throughout the hotel. Does that mean no more late night laptop partys in the lobby???

Last edited by a moderator:

elweasel

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta Black pkg 2
I was wondering if the street signs are in French/English or French only. When I was in Spain I could read the street sign in Spanish, but when I went to Barcelona all the signs were in Catalan. If the sign are only in French maybe some kind person could post a list of French signs in English. IE in Spanish Salida=Exit. Thanks

dieselvet

TDI
MB GLK 250 4M BT
elweasel said:
I was wondering if the street signs are in French/English or French only.

Depends what part of the city you're in. They're pretty easy to understand especially for people who speak both English and Spanish.

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
My French is imperfect but I've been to Montreal and elsewhere in Quebec enough times to know that all you need to concern yourselves with regarding street names is to remember some common translations.:

Rue = street
Ch. or Chemin = road / way
Boul. or Boulevard = obvious
Pl. or Place = obvious
Cr. = crescent

P.S.: Is it just me or are some or many of the organisers not Montreal residents? :confused:

It's not like dealing with a totally different script. Try driving in Russia or Japan or China. :)

Zippy_car

Trouble Maker
TDI
Previously:'02 Jetta. Now: '13 Subaru XV Crosstrek!
david_594 said:
Oh man :( . All the hotels claim to have free wireless throughout the hotel. Does that mean no more late night laptop partys in the lobby???
Lobby, your room, the conference room, the roof... wherever you like... hopefully *fingers crossed*

Zippy_car

Trouble Maker
TDI
TDIMeister said:
P.S.: Is it just me or are some or many of the organisers not Montreal residents? :confused:
Yes, most of us are New England, US residents, however we have also enlisted the help of some of our local Monreal/quebec residents to help us out as well. :D If there is anyone else from this region that is willing to help please PM me, and we'll gladly consider people. We won't be able to take many, but a couple more wouldn't hurt, i'm sure!

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
Zippy_car said:
Lobby, your room, the conference room, the roof... wherever you like... hopefully *fingers crossed*
:eek:

What I do find funny is that people are complaining about free wireless in the rooms. :D :p

Now, it's all likely one subnet. Can you say "IRC server for TDIFest only"? :D

Duke6062

TDI
Jetta 03 5spd
My dream has come true,

All that TDI fest good stuff right in my backyard.
Now to get in touch with Jeff and set up an appointment for my RC 2

jettafock

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GLS TDI auto, platinum gray, ESP
Zippy_car said:
How about in your room? :p

Well I should be up there for the fest. Never been to that part of Canada before.

FredIA

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 A5 Jetta, Shadow Blue, Pkg #1/XM, rear side curtain airbags
bhtooefr said:
I'll say right now that I probably won't be there... too far to drive, and I can't fly because I won't be able to get a rental car. :(
In the other thread someone suggested that I not get a rental car if I flew since there's something like 200 people that may be willing to pick you up from the airport and drop you off. If you are going to stay in one place (as it seems you can), taxi's and limo's work well, too.

Montreal is pretty far away, but it's the only place in Canada I've not been. I'm going to seriously consider it.

It was one of my father's (rip) favourite (sic) places in the world, and he had better taste than I do. (And was a hell of a lot better mechanic.. I wish I paid better attention when I was 16! :()

I should have gone to Lake Mills last year though.. I'm still kicking myself that I didn't...

Fred

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
some common translations:
Detour = Detour
Chauffeur = Chauffeur
Boulevard = Boulevard
Aperitif = Aperitif
Hors d'oeuvres = Hors d'oeuvres
Chef = Chef
Tim Bits = Dunkin Munchkins

Some handy phrases:
Pardonez moi, Je veut acheter des bougies pour mon TDI.
Pardon me, I wish to buy some spark plugs for my TDI.

Is registration up yet?

Fred Gauthier

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat Sportline TDI
elweasel said:
I was wondering if the street signs are in French/English or French only. When I was in Spain I could read the street sign in Spanish, but when I went to Barcelona all the signs were in Catalan. If the sign are only in French maybe some kind person could post a list of French signs in English. IE in Spanish Salida=Exit. Thanks
The sign are almost the same, ie Exit sign are the same, except "Sortie" instead of Exit, and french isn't so hard, we just use more letters for nothing than english...

vikingrob

Veteran Member
TDI
2021 Tesla Model 3 (delivery estimate May 2021)
Fred Gauthier said:
The sign are almost the same, ie Exit sign are the same, except "Sortie" instead of Exit, and french isn't so hard, we just use more letters for nothing than english...
When I was driving on 401 a couple years back, I seem to remember the exit signs not saying either "exit" or "sortie", just the exit number.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
bhtooefr said:
I'll say right now that I probably won't be there... too far to drive, and I can't fly because I won't be able to get a rental car. :(
Ah come on up. It's not that far. And I guarantee that you'll have someone to meet you at the airport should you fly up.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zippy_car

Trouble Maker
TDI
IndigoBlueWagon said:
Ah come on up. It's not that far. And I guarantee that you'll have someone to meet you at the airport should you fly up.

I'll second that. We'll be working out transportation to and from the airport to the hotel, or at least will provide more information about it. That is one guarantee that can be held to! No one who wishes to attend will be ride-less to the event!
Registrations are not up yet... it'll be sometime before that's going. but soon.

oh, and Fock, sorry darlin', i've already got my roommate, and i'm pretty sure he'll be taking up all my bandwidth from our room. ;) Although, i'm sure there will be plenty of other spaces available. :)

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
Zippy_car said:
oh, and Fock, sorry darlin', i've already got my roommate, and i'm pretty sure he'll be taking up all my bandwidth from our room. ;) Although, i'm sure there will be plenty of other spaces available. :)
ROTFLMAO!!!:D :D :D

TDIinRI

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 GOLF silver
Zippy, I will leave you PLEANTY of bandwith while you are in the room, but I can't make any promises for when you aren't there 0;-)