Mk3 Golf - misfire,smoke,hard starting

Audiman

Veteran Member
TDI
A4, 2000, Silver
I've got a mk3 golf deisel 1993. It worked well all these years until last week. Became difficult starting, began to misfire and let off loads of smoke.

I think I may have a busted injector.
How can I check which injector is faulty apart from taking them all out?
The other option is to buy one new injector and remove each one in turn.
Would I need some special tools to remove the injector ?

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
It may not be an injector. It could just have jumped timing for one reason or another. Either a problem with the belt system or potentially the crank sprocket for the timing belt is worn and shifting on the crankshaft snout (starting to become somewhat common on higher-mileage early 1.9L diesels, AAZ, 1Z and AHU engines in North America).

Not discounting it could be an injector, but just wanted to point out another possible cause to investigate.

Audiman

Veteran Member
TDI
A4, 2000, Silver
You were correct.
Bought a new injector - not an injector problem.
Maybe a blown piston ring ?
I'm going to get a compression test done - just to be sure

Audiman

Veteran Member
TDI
A4, 2000, Silver
Took the car to a friend of mine, we suspect it's a broken valve.:confused:
The cars too old (1993) to get it fixed (16 years old).:(

Anyway it was our 3rd car - only used it for gardening/going to the tip and DIY etc on the house.

It's been one of the best cars we've had - never broken down in it.
Just proves how well built german cars are - 180,000 mile with only 1 clutch change and usual brakes and pads etc. Just seems a shame to dispose of it to the scrap metal merchants.

I phoned the scrap merchant who lifted it onto a SKIP and paid me £80 for it. I spent £150 on a full exhaust only 2 weeks ago - makes you laugh though. It had a full tank of diesel (£48's worth) - sucked it bone dry with a pump before scrappy took it.

Today I bought another Golf 2001 SE TDI. We also got a new 2.0 TDI golf and a 2003 Ford Galaxy for Holiday/Weekends etc. Even the Galaxy has 150,000 miles on it - been Holand, Switzerland and Italy in it........:)

Satiro

Veteran Member
TDI
IBIZA 1.9TDI 110hp AFN 1998
Matt-98AHU said:
It may not be an injector. It could just have jumped timing for one reason or another. Either a problem with the belt system or potentially the crank sprocket for the timing belt is worn and shifting on the crankshaft snout (starting to become somewhat common on higher-mileage early 1.9L diesels, AAZ, 1Z and AHU engines in North America).

Not discounting it could be an injector, but just wanted to point out another possible cause to investigate.
That seems a very common issue...I heard about it a few times, but i can't to understand well...wich's the part for to change it? is the part number 4 or 9 in picture?
i haven't that problem but i don't want to have it in future...
[/URL][/IMG]