www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI News/Tech

TDI News/Tech This Forum is for the posting of TDI news related items.

Old August 24th, 2019, 11:14   #1
Nuje
Veteran Member

Default NYTimes: TDIs Are Hot Commodity

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/22/b...i-resales.html

And summarized by Jalopnik.

His ride: 2015 GSW SEL TDI with MIB2, Active Info Display, Adaptive Cruise retrofit
Her ride: 2016 A3 e-tron

His other ride: 2015 Giant Propel SL Di2
Nuje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2019, 04:53   #2
20062015VWman

Default I love my diesels

I have an 06 TDI and a 2015. Both great cars, although my 2015 Golf has a lot more guts.
20062015VWman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2020, 14:34   #3
JSH1

When I bought my Sportwagen the dealer had 220 fixed TDIs on the lot - 65 sportwagens alone. Today he is down to only 77 so I suspect VW is about out of them. The salesman said the dealer got $2000 per car just to take them and then the service department got paid to so the emission rework.

I wanted a 2015 but they were pretty rare at the time.

My 2014 Jetta Sportwagen TDI SE was $14,000 out the door with 33,000 miles on the clock and a CPO warranty. That is really the only reason I took a chance on a reworked engine. I loved my 2003 Jetta Wagon TDI but today diesel is more than gas and the fuel economy isn't that great.
JSH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2020, 08:58   #4
rhinorear

TDI(s): 2014 JSW

but today diesel is more than gas and the fuel economy isn't that great.[/QUOTE]

Fut the wuck!!!? With a 1998 truck and a 2015 Jeep I'm pretty darned impressed with my SW fuel mileage even if diesel is more expensive
rhinorear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2020, 05:20   #5
ezshift5
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Please note Fuelly...........

From almost all measurement standards, my JSW TDI 6M really set the bar. The torque, space and fuel numbers immediately come to mind.
Enter the e-scandal and the very generous buyback. Exit the HPFP and DPF potential - probability rather low - but still a concern for this old sailor.
What to do? Accepting the buyback was indeed more painful than I anticipated. However, one of our four local dealers - with emissions scandal driven reasoning + factory discounts - practically gave me a gas Jetta with a motorcycle-sized turbo 4.
That little engine - over 30,000 miles now - has calc'd (per Fuelly) 40.8 MPG.
IMHO VW responded to the US court system much to my advantage.
Sure I miss the wagon. It was a great five years.
ez
Old March 1st, 2020, 05:36   #6
johnsTDI
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: oh gosh alot better than burning Gasoline.?

I own a 2012 TDI 6 speed manual and right now i would not trade that car in for anything great fuel economy.! comfortable heated seating, the car is a Joy to drive.! VW TDI's are cool
johnsTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2020, 10:02   #7
nwdiver
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 320wh/mi; ~90mpge

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsTDI View Post
I own a 2012 TDI 6 speed manual and right now i would not trade that car in for anything great fuel economy.! comfortable heated seating, the car is a Joy to drive.! VW TDI's are cool
I thought the exact same thing about my Jetta TDI... until I discovered EVs.
nwdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2020, 15:25   #8
hskrdu
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwdiver View Post
I thought the exact same thing about my Jetta TDI... until I discovered EVs.
Your discovery doesn't negate, nor diminish that of others. Each owner can, in fact, find what is cool to them- and (if your goal is to be a long-term and constructive member at Fred's) it might be best to consider less of an adversarial approach. I think EV technology is interesting, but there is not an EV that suits/appeals to me with the current tech (nor does it suit or appeal to all drivers). In the same manner, I don't advocate a TDI to interested parties unless it is a good fit for their circumstances. I appreciate your dedication and passion for EVs, but there are different cool cars out there for different people.
Old March 1st, 2020, 17:24   #9
nwdiver
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hskrdu View Post
Your discovery doesn't negate, nor diminish that of others. Each owner can, in fact, find what is cool to them- and (if your goal is to be a long-term and constructive member at Fred's) it might be best to consider less of an adversarial approach. I think EV technology is interesting, but there is not an EV that suits/appeals to me with the current tech (nor does it suit or appeal to all drivers). In the same manner, I don't advocate a TDI to interested parties unless it is a good fit for their circumstances. I appreciate your dedication and passion for EVs, but there are different cool cars out there for different people.
I'm actually not passionate about EVs. I'm passionate about efficiency. Which is why I loved my TDI until it became obsolete from the perspective of efficient cars. If a 4 door TDI sedan came out that got >100mpg I would sell my EV and buy that instead.

Last edited by nwdiver; March 1st, 2020 at 17:26.
Old March 1st, 2020, 21:39   #10
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

Well you must have money to burn switching cars like that. Most of us have to take into consideration the cost of buying as well. You keep jumping into threads with off topic EV comments.
Old March 2nd, 2020, 13:07   #11
nwdiver
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightflyer1 View Post
Well you must have money to burn switching cars like that.
??? I've been driving the same car for >7 years.
Old March 2nd, 2020, 16:04   #12
Daemon64
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Fuelly Average 27.3

I think he was just responding to your comment that you would buy something new if it was more efficient. But more to the point many of us buy diesels because they are more efficient than gas powered vehicles and we enjoy the torque and the niceties of the cars we have now. And many of us may be on longer than a 7 yrs cycle... not to say that you are. Also as i commented to you in another thread many of us and plenty of the general public do not believe that electrics are ready to meet our needs yet. It's not that we have blinders on and dont see it as an interesting or efficient technology.

For me I need my q5 for towing a travel trailer thousands of miles per year, and to move a trailer with lumber and etc... which is why I got a VW tdi as it's one of the most efficient diesels that can do it for relatively light load 4000 <. But we have an electric for where it makes sense... here 32 mile round trip to work daily.
Daemon64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2020, 07:38   #13
tikal
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 37 MPG (~ 45% city)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon64 View Post
I think he was just responding to your comment that you would buy something new if it was more efficient. But more to the point many of us buy diesels because they are more efficient than gas powered vehicles and we enjoy the torque and the niceties of the cars we have now. And many of us may be on longer than a 7 yrs cycle... not to say that you are. Also as i commented to you in another thread many of us and plenty of the general public do not believe that electrics are ready to meet our needs yet. It's not that we have blinders on and dont see it as an interesting or efficient technology.

For me I need my q5 for towing a travel trailer thousands of miles per year, and to move a trailer with lumber and etc... which is why I got a VW tdi as it's one of the most efficient diesels that can do it for relatively light load 4000 <. But we have an electric for where it makes sense... here 32 mile round trip to work daily.
Well stated. In my view TDI vs EVs is a false dichotomy of enormous proportions! In fact I would say that the average TDI owner is much more conscious regarding efficiency of transportation vs the majority of gasoline powered vehicle owners.

Right now EVs are gradually becoming a 'low hanging fruit' for affordable city/urban focused transportation. Even, in this way, you have to do additional homework to make sure that if you buy an EV of brand x for city driving for the next so many years and you need any kind of repair/servicing you can get it dome locally. It is almost déjà vu all over again. You are going to end up needing a new list of 'Trusted EV Gurus by State' What a paradox!
tikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2020, 08:17   #14
kjclow
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55 max / 44 avg on beetle ~37 on JSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikal View Post
Well stated. In my view TDI vs EVs is a false dichotomy of enormous proportions! In fact I would say that the average TDI owner is much more conscious regarding efficiency of transportation vs the majority of gasoline powered vehicle owners.
Well said. That is why, when the wife said, "Let's buy a full sized truck", I looked at most of them (half ton) on the market and decided on the RAM since it not only rode the smoothest but was also available in a diesel. At 35k miles, my lifetime average is around 22 with mostly city/rural miles.
Old March 3rd, 2020, 11:02   #15
atc98002
Veteran Member

I would get the Ram diesel in a heartbeat, but my wife has no intention of giving up her '05 1500 short bed V-6 (before they renamed them Ram, it's still a Dodge). No towing power, bad mileage, but it only has 40,000 miles, is almost spotless, and it's used so little there's no valid justification to replace it. I can't convince her to let me replace the radio with something that has Bluetooth. No power windows, seats or door locks, just the basic base model with carpet and the auto as the only options.
2010 Routan gone, replaced with 2018 Pacifica Hybrid: other daughter has 3 kids
atc98002 is offline   Reply With Quote