Mid west clubber looking for another Job

new2diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta Galactic Blue Pearl
EE in Michigan looking for another Job..
Can anyone help... I know it's not the right place to post but it's not what you know but who you know. Since you guys and gals are like my family. I just thought I would ask..

TIA
\/\/

PS. you can e-mail links to me @ ruddwd -at- gmail.com

lmoretti

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI 5sp Manual
Would you be willing to relocate?

Hi-

The company (Fortune 500) I'm working for might have something, but We're in Milwaukee. If you're ok with relocating, PM me and We can talk.

Luciano

Bryan42

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI, Blue
If Cedar Rapids, Iowa, is a possible relocation option, then take a look at Rockwell Collins. They're looking for a bunch of EE types. PM me if interested.

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
You may have already looked into it, but I'll throw this out there anyway -- have you checked into Johnson Controls in Holland? I know there have been lots of layoffs here over the last few years, but our electronics department is doing really well and has actually been hiring from what I've heard. We do instrument clusters and HomeLink stuff.

new2diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for the tips.. PM's Sent..
Cedar Rapids at this point is not out of the question, but not high on the list. I'll PM you when we reach that point.

Thanks
\/\/

new2diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
Bump for the week.. Lots of ideas off of Monster, Dice, Careerbuilder, and CareerMatrix..
Anybody know of any others?

Bryan42

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI, Blue
I'm surprised at how many jobs there are that aren't listed with any of the major job sites like Dice and Monster. Maybe 50% of the jobs in my area (Des Moines, Iowa) seem to be only on their company web site. So, the task to find those is to make a list of all the companies in your area, find their web site and career section, and check it regularly. If anyone has a better way to find these, please let us all know.

new2diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
Bump..
I'm still looking and could use some more ideas.
Anybody?

Looking mostly in the Grand Rapids, MI, Indianapolis, and West/NW Chicago Burbs.. Anybody know of any engineering companies in those areas? Please post or PM or e-mail the website..

Will

FredIA

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 A5 Jetta, Shadow Blue, Pkg #1/XM, rear side curtain airbags
new2diesel said:
Thanks for the tips.. PM's Sent..
Cedar Rapids at this point is not out of the question, but not high on the list. I'll PM you when we reach that point.

Thanks
\/\/
I work in Cedar Rapids as a EE. At a well known company there. Which is expanding like mad lately.

I'm from Chicago originally: Iowa isn't really that bad. I like making a good living and owning 36 acres at the same time. Not to many places you can do that anymore.

You can also PM me if Iowa isn't out of the question. Good Luck with the search. It'd be nice to have some more TDIclubbers out here. There are an unusually large amount of TDIs (and VWs, IMHO, in general) in Iowa. I think TDI's attract engineers like flys.. Not too many around here admit being active on the TDIclub, tho.

Fred

new2diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
I am now expanding my search. If it''s a good Job with a solid company, I'm an definitely looking.
TIA
\/\/

PS Congrats to coolWht on finding another job! Good luck..

turbinia2

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, baltic green
western burbs

How about Fermilab, Batavia IL ? www.fnal.gov

One Example:
https://fermi.hodesiq.com/job_detail.asp?JobID=663108&user_id=

Entry-Level Power Electronics Engineer (Engineer I) Job Code: 060094 Department: Accelerator Division (AD) Fermilab works as the world's leading particle physics lab because of people power--the people who work at Fermilab, the people who make it a community as well as a research institution.

Always a strong proponent of "physics without borders," Fermilab is host to almost 3,000 scientists and students who take part in the lab's experiments--some 1,800 from 106 institutions in 37 states in the U.S., and over 1,100 from 153 institutions in 31 foreign countries. Men and women of all backgrounds and nationalities work side by side in the quest to learn the universe's deepest secrets.

Due to needs at the lab, the following career opportunity is now available for a - ENTRY-LEVEL POWER ELECTRONICS ENGINEER (ENGINEER I) in the ACCELERATOR DIVISION/ENGINEERING/ELECTRICAL-ELECTRONIC SUPPORT DEPARTMENT.

Responsibilities
The candidate will participate in the design of accelerator pulsed power systems and fast kicker systems which include both magnets and their associated modulators. These systems operate at voltages up to 75kV, currents up to several kiloamps and timescales down to several nanoseconds.

The following are essential to the position:

• Participate in computer simulations, design, installation, commissioning and documentation of various pulsed power electrical equipment and control systems, as a member of an engineering team.
  • Design equipment that utilize analog circuits, digital controls and high power switches such as thyratrons, spark gaps, silicon controlled rectifiers, IGBTs, IGCTs, GTOs, and MOSFETs.
  • ... snip ...

TDI
Jetta, 2006, Campanella White, Anthracite Int. DSG, Pkg. 1; New Beetle, 1998, Yellow, black leather Int., 2013 Passat TDI SEL Night blue, grey Int. given back to VW (well, not given... ;) ) 2018 Tiguan; first gasser in years
As a heads up, there's an EE job in the Traverse City Record-Eagle want ads. It should be viewable online at record-eagle.com
Good luck!

new2diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for all those who tried to help..
I have a tentative offer on the table and I am just waiting for the paper work to be finished.

Thanks again to all!

\/\/

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
Hope it works out for you Will! Keep us posted on developments please!

new2diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
Offer has been extended and accepted.. Now I really get to test the mileage..
50 miles round trip!!
I wish I could join the 800 mile club in an automatic!

I will be working for US Filter/Siemens Water Technologies in Holland, MI.

Thanks for all the support and assistance in looking.

Will

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
new2diesel said:
Offer has been extended and accepted.. Now I really get to test the mileage..
50 miles round trip!!
I wish I could join the 800 mile club in an automatic!

I will be working for US Filter/Siemens Water Technologies in Holland, MI.

Thanks for all the support and assistance in looking.

Will
Congratulations! My previous MI job was a 62 mile round trip - new job is 52 mile round trip so I'm familiar with your commuting distance.

Fuel-Saver Tip: Keep your speed below 65 mph for better economy.

new2diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
I have recently figured that out.
With my previous commute of 28 miles round trip, I tried driving for an entire tank @ 65 or below. Even with the contruction, 2 sections going both ways, I was able to get 628 out of a tank. I'm looking to try and get 700 out of a tank when I start at the new place. I just hope I don't get run over in the process. Good thing that our start time is 7:00 am. I'll miss the morning traffic, but it will stink going home.

FredIA

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 A5 Jetta, Shadow Blue, Pkg #1/XM, rear side curtain airbags
I'm really glad to hear you got a job (somewhat) local to you.

The market looks quite slow lately despite growth in the economy. Good job and I hope you enjoy the work.

Fred

TDI
Jetta, 2006, Campanella White, Anthracite Int. DSG, Pkg. 1; New Beetle, 1998, Yellow, black leather Int., 2013 Passat TDI SEL Night blue, grey Int. given back to VW (well, not given... ;) ) 2018 Tiguan; first gasser in years
Woo Hoo! Way to go Will! 50 mile round trip is also what Fair Wifey will be having with the '06 Jetta. I'm also hoping to get the 700+ mile tanks with the PD and ULSD, we'll see but the fact that the route is all 55 MPH or less will help. Good luck, see ya on the 9th.