www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Meetings/ GTG/ Regional Discussions > Mid-west USA

Mid-west USA Local discussions for those on the Mid-West US. ( Minnesota, Iowa, Wisconsin, Michigan, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Nebraska, North Dakota, South Dakota, Kansas, Missouri)

Old February 22nd, 2014, 07:28   #826
rjyoz

TDI(s): BMW x5
Default BP - Lake & Skokie

1. Station Name
BP - Lake & Skokie
2. Address (city/state/zip) and/or Nearest Major Intersection
Wilmette, IL
D2 by Nibw on 12-29-09
840 Skokie Blvd
Wilmette, IL
3. Type of Fuel ("Conventional" vs. "Premium" Diesel No. 2)
B11
4. How Non-Bio Content Verified (Attendant, Manager, Distributor)
Manager
rjyoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2014, 09:17   #827
TDiSkater
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 35 Winter/41 Summer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjyoz View Post
1. Station Name
BP - Lake & Skokie
2. Address (city/state/zip) and/or Nearest Major Intersection
Wilmette, IL
D2 by Nibw on 12-29-09
840 Skokie Blvd
Wilmette, IL
3. Type of Fuel ("Conventional" vs. "Premium" Diesel No. 2)
B11
4. How Non-Bio Content Verified (Attendant, Manager, Distributor)
Manager
There is no need to list verified B11 stations. 99% of stations are B11 now. When this thread was started it was the time period when stations were converting from D2. We now only highlight stations verified as straight diesel.

VW-OEM European Steel Skidplate | 35% LLumar Tint all around | Pano Sunroof | ScanGauge II | WeatherTech Weatherflectors and Digital Fit Floorliners l Faux TDI Mirror Etching l RGM Bumper Guard | Conti PureContact | Non-OEM Aspherical Mirrors - $3 Blind Spot Mirror | 70,000 miles |
TDiSkater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2014, 16:29   #828
Marksaustyn

Fuel Economy: normal driving 50+mpg

If there is anyone looking at this there is now a Facebook group for central Illinois TDI's!
post pictures of your ride, get advice, network!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/tdiofpeoria/
Marksaustyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2014, 13:47   #829
MilenP
Veteran Member

Default Southwest Suburbs Update 4-16-14

Please don't hold me responsible for any inaccuracy. This is a list I just made after speaking with the attendants of the respective stations. Feel free to correct me if you find an error. Thanks!
Millen
Bolingbrook
Meijer
195 N. Weber Rd., Bolingbrook, IL 60490
630-679-6500
4/16/14 - Premium
Bolingbrook
Meijer
735 E. Boughton Rd., Bolingbrook, IL 60440
630-783-5301
4/16/14 – Premium – probably, based on above
Downers Grove
BP (under new management 6/16/09)
4314 Main St. (SW corner of Ogden Ave. and Main St.), Downers Grove, IL 60515
630-810-0190
4/16/14 - Bio
Delta Sonic (premium)
1415 Ogden Ave., Downers Grove, IL 60515-2734
4/16/14 - Premium
Elmhurst
BP
1003 N. York Rd., Elmhurst, IL 60126
630-833-2213
4/16/14 - Bio
Delta Sonic
600 W. North Ave., Elmhurst, IL 60126
630-530-8874
4/16/14 – Premium – attendant 95% sure
Hinsdale
Fuller's (premium)
102 W. Chicago Ave., Hinsdale, IL 60521
630-325-0088
4/16/14 - Premium
Lemont
Citgo (premium)
135th St. & New Ave., Lemont, IL 60439
630-257-7761
4/16/14 – not a gas station, just a refinery
Westmont
Citgo (Jimmy's Service Station) (premium)
260 N. Cass Ave., Westmont, IL 60559
630-969-2323
4/16/14 – may be Premium
2003 VW Jetta GLS TDI, Platinum Gray, Upsolute, snow screen, EGR, Dieselgeek clutch, HID headlights, Votex bumper, ABS grille, smoked tailights - Gone now
MilenP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2014, 15:16   #830
gary2smart

Fuel Economy: 50 MPG with 10% local driving
Default Bio 10%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmeller View Post
The Shell on Peterson (just east of Butterfield) in Libertyville still does not have any stickers on their diesel pumps. This is where I fill up 90% of the time.. I assume it's Bio but it I can't worry about it too much as I have had no issues with the fuel.
This station sells Bio 10%
Old July 12th, 2014, 08:58   #831
TDiSkater
Veteran Member

FYI, has to be 11% to get the tax incentive. 10 won't help the station. IL code says biodiesel greater than 10% receives a tax incentive for the station.

VW-OEM European Steel Skidplate | 35% LLumar Tint all around | Pano Sunroof | ScanGauge II | WeatherTech Weatherflectors and Digital Fit Floorliners l Faux TDI Mirror Etching l RGM Bumper Guard | Conti PureContact | Non-OEM Aspherical Mirrors - $3 Blind Spot Mirror | 70,000 miles |
Old July 15th, 2014, 06:08   #832
gary2smart

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDiSkater View Post
FYI, has to be 11% to get the tax incentive. 10 won't help the station. IL code says biodiesel greater than 10% receives a tax incentive for the station.
If that is the case why is Mobil on the Toll at the Lake Forest Oasis selling 5% Bio content Diesel? Why wouldn't they just sell the premium?
Old July 15th, 2014, 20:35   #833
TDiSkater
Veteran Member

when did they go back to B5? They had switched to B11 2 years ago. I know because I saw them change the sticker at Lake Forest one week to the next.

Here's an article.
http://www.biodieselmagazine.com/blo...e-through-2018

Last edited by TDiSkater; July 15th, 2014 at 20:38.
Old July 20th, 2014, 19:26   #834
gary2smart

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDiSkater View Post
when did they go back to B5? They had switched to B11 2 years ago. I know because I saw them change the sticker at Lake Forest one week to the next.

Here's an article.
http://www.biodieselmagazine.com/blo...e-through-2018
I stopped in there and asked the owner who wasn't sure so he asked the station manager and he said it was B5. Note that I didn't fill up there as I am trying to only use Pure Petro with lubricity additive. I filled up in Salem Wisconsin BP and was impressed got 52/MPG first ever usually around 47.
Old July 24th, 2014, 09:52   #835
TDIRoady
Veteran Member

Default Shell Diesel

I wrote to Shell and asked;
I'm confused. Volkswagen specifically states that putting biodiesel in your tank will void your warranty and only use diesel 2. Apparently many people have had their vehicles fail using anything over 5%. Unfortunately B10 or B20 (10% or 20% biodiesel) is all that's available in Illinois. The VW manual does state that if you live in Illinois they will honor the warranty anyway. My concern is that Illinois diesel will kill the car long term, after the warranty period. Why is Shell selling diesel that is less quality than other States? VW also says use no additives so adding anything apparently would not help with less quality diesel products. What does Shell suggest?
P.S. Some Shell stations have stickers on the pump that says "NOT a Shell branded product". Is this a disclaimer of quality?

This was their reply;

"Thank you for considering Shell to fuel your vehicle.

All Shell Diesel meets the ASTM D 975 Specification (see attached). All Shell branded diesel is blended to contain a max of 5% bio content (ie max B5) across the USA. If the retail dispenser is labeled 6%-20% biodiesel, it is not a Shell-branded fuel. The dispenser should have a label that states that it is not a Shell-branded product.

However note that each Shell station is independently owned and may elect to offer a different non-Shell biodiesel blend at their discretion. The diesel fuel dispenser is required to be properly labeled as to whether it is a Shell branded product as well as to the bio content, so please look for this labeling (and if any questions please discuss directly with the specific Shell station).

So, for example, if the retail dispenser is labeled 6%-20% biodiesel, it is not a Shell-branded fuel. So again, Shell retailers may choose to offer a diesel fuel that contains more than 5% biodiesel, but the dispenser should be labeled to indicate that "this is not a Shell-branded product," etc. Furthermore, the Federal Trade Commission requires that diesel containing greater than 5% biodiesel must be labeled with the 5-20% biodiesel label (B5-B20). Some sates (like Illinois, it is almost certainly 11% biodiesel, driven by the state tax incentive) have some tax incentive by selling more % of Biodiesel and which is why the states may differ on percentage of biodiesel blends they offer.

For the location of Shell diesel stations across the US, please refer to the following website which contains the locations of all Shell diesel stations as well as access to a mobile app for your use while travelling: http://www.shell.us/products-service...n-locator.html

But the bottom line to what type of fuel Shell would suggest for your vehicle – Shell always recommends that you abide by your engine OEM's recommendation for the type of fuel that you should use in your vehicle.

We appreciate the opportunity to serve you and look forward to providing you with quality Shell branded products and service in the future.

We value your patronage and hope you will continue to choose Shell’s quality products. If you have additional questions, please contact the Shell Solutions Center at 1-888-GO-SHELL (1-888-467-4355) or send an e-mail to shellcustomercare@shell.com."
Old July 27th, 2014, 06:24   #836
Conrad -JSW
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2012 JSW DSG

D2 IS available in Illinois!

This is my go to station as I live near by.

Petro Truck Stop
Just west (less than a mile on Hwy-38) of I-39 & Hwy-38 interchange, Rochelle, IL
D2
$3.77 per gal
Conrad -JSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2014, 15:04   #837
petrodude

TDI(s): 2012 Touareg

Hello fellow TDIers,
I joined this forum because I just bought my first TDI. I know its hard to get clear diesel in Chicago area since everything is Bio... I deliver gas in Chicago and suburbs so I can be maybe helpful to locate few stations and recommend where to fill up your TDI.. There are few stations here listed that are posted as non-bio where they are.
First of all , bio diesel is the worst thing you can use to fill up your vehicle, I own a semi, and I run on bio since price/availability make me do so. But that causes hell of problems for my truck, including clogged filters, and failed injectors. I figured a way around it to help me eliminate issues with my semi, but can't do that to my touareg. I will post a picture of pure bio,(b100) how it looks. Not a pretty sight.

As we all want are cars to run well, we shouldn't be filling up with what's not recommend.

Speedway is all b11,
Circle K shell is all B11 confirmed with my dispatch.
Bucky's Mobil stations should be all B5 - I will confirm with delivery drivers tomorrow.
Clear ULSD DSL stations are
maijer Algonquin/Golf rd.Rolling Meadows.
Maijer - bloomingdale on Gary ave
Sam's club in Addison and Evanston
Food 4 Less Evanston and Melrose Park
Delta Sonic Downers Grove and Elmhurst.

Jimmys in Westmont is no longer clear DSL
BP in elk grove Wood Dale and Devon is B11.

Also Phillips 66 stations some have converted to B11. Beware of stations that look like crap on the inside, if the look crappy in the store their fuel tanks maybe same way. Before you fill up whether its gas or DSL look where the tank fills are. They have colored lids. Best is when it rains, see if the fills are covered with rain water or water is flowing by it. As many stations are independent owned, owners don't care about the quality of product the sell, as long as it sells. Phillips 66 are mostly privately owned. And owners don't care.

I suggest to create a list of confirmed clear DSL stations. I can put them all in like a txt file and post it here. I recommend to fill up at Sam's , since I know the are very meticulous in their maintenance, and confirmed clear DSL. Any questions please ask

Picture below is of pure biodiesel @ 24 degrees Fahrenheit
Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
[IMG][/IMG]
Here is an example of a shell gas station which is independent owned, completely unmaintained. Customer thinks that he's getting quality product but could be a mix of water. Note this is Premium gas fill
petrodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2014, 07:29   #838
petrodude

TDI(s): 2012 Touareg

Check out the biodiesel disclosure by Mobil. There are laws where station has to disclose whether they carry biodiesel. Not sure if Jimmy's has done it yet , I didn't see it there

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
[IMG][/IMG]
petrodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2014, 07:33   #839
Tom in chicago

Default thanks petrodude!

Thanks Petrodude... great to have someone in the know advising on where to get pure diesel... thanks!
Tom in chicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2014, 21:16   #840
Only1Z

I still just fill up at Delta Sonic. Car runs great on it. In about a week I'll get to fill up with some Amoco Premier diesel in Michigan. 😀

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Only1Z is offline   Reply With Quote