Buy a 2009 TDI now in light of the news?

WantingaTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
VW Golf 03 TDI
My VW is a 2003 TDI so it is a no go for any refund..

Should I try gaming the system and buying something like this 2009 TDI for $4k and get money from VW and a buy back? We know they won't have a fix for one of the earlier ones.. http://annapolis.craigslist.org/cto/5562395400.html (no idea on the mileage. was just seeing costs for diesels).

Could make money off the deal. Any ideas on this? I recall people doing this when Toyota bought back T1000 pickup trucks with rust issues.

-m

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
If it's a vehicle you wouldn't mind owning in the event that things work out differently from expected then I'd say go for it. But be prepared for that to happen. It's entirely possible that additional compensation will be contingent upon owning the vehicle at the time that the scandal broke and the buyback will be at pre-scandal market value. For that older high-mileage vehicle ... that might not be much more than what that car is advertised for.

And this is why all these pre-June-28 threads on this topic are speculative. So is this deal.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
If change of ownership after the "scandal" broke eliminates an opportunity of a buyback, I wonder if that lowers VWs liability.

dgoodhue

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 6MT JSW
It is a gamble. I would only buy an affect 2009+ TDI if you are OK with ending up being excluded from the settlement.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Technically the only people who were hurt by loss of resale value from the scandal were those who actually owned the vehicle on the date that the scandal became public.

A change of ownership doesn't change EPA/CARB's desire to have the car fixed or taken off the road, so it would still be subject to buyback, but compensation for loss of resale value is a separate matter. We will find out what the deal is in 4 days.

BuyMeBackSoon

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 golf
The theory is you've benefited already by buying a car that has dropped in value from the scandal, why would you expect a double dip on that?

viking427

Veteran Member
TDI
VW
Actually, there are people still out there buying mk6 and mk7 TDI's unaware of the scandel, let alone VW's expected Nov. 2015 cutoff date for compensation(s). IMO VW will need to allow for a very generous grace period, or face further civil litigation.

ech0sh4y

TDI
'06 Golf TDi
I highly doubt VW will offer any sort of compensation for those people that have recently purchased a TDi. If that were the case everyone would go buy them to make a profit and sell them or have them bought back. If I had one I would hang on to it. Because once VW possibly buys the cars back, the total number of those cars on the road dwindle which will increase demand and possibly resale value down the road? Just a thought. I wouldn't mind upgraded to a 2010 JSW my self, but I will wait and keep an eye on prices.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
Too many unknowns at this point. I wouldn't buy any car I didn't intend to drive.

bubbagumpshrimp

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta TDI
If you want it, buy it. I wouldn't run out and buy one expecting to "get paid" though. I wouldn't be surprised if VW just pays the fine and offers nothing to people that have bought since the news broke (I would...if I were them). That or the people that have bought since the news broke will be in the $1k compensation group.

Edit:
^Clearly the owner doesn't know his vehicle and is oblivious to dieselgate.
That link was posted two months ago. The guy/gal had probably been sitting on it for months and decided to throw in the towel.

Last edited:

MrSprdSheet

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 JSW TDI

Should I try gaming the system and buying something like this 2009 TDI for $4k and get money from VW and a buy back? We know they won't have a fix for one of the earlier ones.. http://annapolis.craigslist.org/cto/5562395400.html (no idea on the mileage. was just seeing costs for diesels).

Could make money off the deal. Any ideas on this? I recall people doing this when Toyota bought back T1000 pickup trucks with rust issues.

-m

I'm amazed this thread hasn't been closed because at this moment I am forced to speculate on your behalf that, as a short term owner, you may not receive the $5,100 WSJ was reporting as a minimum, today, to owners. Amazed. What is more likely is that the compensation formula is heavily dependent upon duration, if not date, of ownership over the course of the fraud. You knew about the fraud, and I doubt will be able to get much from at least the compensation element of the settlement. If anything, the size of the compensation dilutes the idea that VWG will be paying a high premium to 9/18/15 KBB valuations to our cars (maybe 110%, but that's ~$400 on a 2009).

I love cars, and wish we could talk more about where things are going, but the moderators have other ideas. Hit it VeeDub...

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver

-m
Pure guess. ~~ Don't think you can get VW $$$$s if you didn't own it at some past date in time.

But, that is just a pure guess.

There is the possibility of $5,100 up to $10,000 on the line ~~ I just do not think it will work

If you LIKE the car ~~ go for it. :)

Last edited:

turboBear

TDI
2013 Golf TDI (sold back to VW 2016/12/28)
The theory is you've benefited already by buying a car that has dropped in value from the scandal, why would you expect a double dip on that?
"It's the American Way" ?

[disclaimer: I dislike that element of The American Way theory]

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
I'm amazed this thread hasn't been closed because at this moment I am forced to speculate on your behalf that, as a short term owner, you may not receive the $5,100 WSJ was reporting as a minimum, today, to owners. Amazed. What is more likely is that the compensation formula is heavily dependent upon duration, if not date, of ownership over the course of the fraud. You knew about the fraud, and I doubt will be able to get much from at least the compensation element of the settlement. If anything, the size of the compensation dilutes the idea that VWG will be paying a high premium to 9/18/15 KBB valuations to our cars (maybe 110%, but that's ~$400 on a 2009).

I love cars, and wish we could talk more about where things are going, but the moderators have other ideas. Hit it VeeDub...
I concur. It's definitely a crap thread and this issue has been discussed previously in threadzilla and elsewhere (buying a 2009+ just to make a profit, without actually driving the car). Others thought they could get away with it on a salvage title vehicle purchased well after dieselgate was announced.

DaveC

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf GL, 5 spd, Mohave beige, 2015 Golf TDI red!
I got really lucky doing something like this. When did the dieselgate scandal news break, October 2015? I saw the value of TDI's really dropping, and bought a practically new 2015 VW TDI with 2k miles on it from a dealer October 30th. I bought mine for $4k less than MSRP. A couple months later VW announced $1k apology money back to owners of the affected cars. I qualified for this because I was the owner as of November 15 2015. I expect to get maybe $6-7k back in this settlement. Timing is everything. One cannot expect to buy a car after this big settlement is announced, and expect to get in on it.
So I paid $19.5k for my "new" car. If I get a total of $8k back from VW, I will have gotten a new car for $11.5k. What a deal!

Last edited:

da_jokker

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
I got really lucky doing something like this. When did the dieselgate scandal news break, October 2015? I saw the value of TDI's really dropping, and bought a practically new 2015 VW TDI with 2k miles on it from a dealer October 30th. I bought mine for $4k less than MSRP. A couple months later VW announced $1k apology money back to owners of the affected cars. I qualified for this because I was the owner as of November 15 2015. I expect to get maybe $6-7k back in this settlement. Timing is everything. One cannot expect to buy a car after this big settlement is announced, and expect to get in on it.
So I paid $19.5k for my "new" car. If I get a total of $8k back from VW, I will have gotten a new car for $11.5k. What a deal!
Prob is I would be surprised if California will let you keep that car..... Unless you bought a newer passat with the urea system.

Otherwise I fear you have a great price on a new car that you won't be allowed to drive.... better go register it in Lake County.

peterdaniel

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GL 5 spd TDi, 2003 Jetta GLS Indigo blue 5spd wagon. 2003 Jetta GLS Candy white wagon 5 speed
I love how all of you bash the hell out of VW for being dishonest... sheesh.. If your comments and scheming ideas were EPA regulated, you would make VW look like Mother Theresa...

Mike91326

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
Prob is I would be surprised if California will let you keep that car..... Unless you bought a newer passat with the urea system.
Otherwise I fear you have a great price on a new car that you won't be allowed to drive.... better go register it in Lake County.
It looks like he has a 2015 Golf so he has the urea system. The 15's and up have the best chance of being fixed.

DaveC

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf GL, 5 spd, Mohave beige, 2015 Golf TDI red!
It looks like he has a 2015 Golf so he has the urea system. The 15's and up have the best chance of being fixed.
That is correct. I bought a 2015 with the Urea injection. Those engines will be the easiest to fix.