VW TDI goodwill package: Offers $500 Visa cards & $500 dealer credits to TDI owners

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Some dealers online:

http://www.quirkparts.com/

A list of online VW part dealers accepting cards would be nice.

Maybe a $500 package special for TDI Club member? Bundle the DIY parts for a few schedule maintenance kits (10k/20k/40k intervals).
Used them and saved a boat load over buying at brick and motor store 10 miles from the house. Maybe they wised up and changed their purchasing methods.

Everything listed there is comparable to other etailers, shipping was a steal at $12 for 60# of parts/fluid stuff.

da_jokker

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
Yeah i was a bit nervous. When I went online to "confirm" my code, it said not valid. but when I called and spoke to a person, she found it in the system no problem and got me all fixed up.

Sounds like there website is as hacked up as their Emissions testing :p

And yeah.. they won't activate it because your VIN has already been activated with the other set.

RLBuck

TDI
2014 Passat
Was in for my 20k warranty work today and saw some Yeti coolers in the parts department. That may be what I use my $500 for since I will not be needing any parts or service in the future.

Richard

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG Matalic Grey
On feb2 I got online and filled out the goodwill signup screen for our
$1000. I waited twelve weeks for the credit cards. Called today, and was
told there was no record of my signing up. The program ended a month ago
for our 14 sportwagen. They are accepting the 3.0 diesels now.
I remember being asked our vin number. And the was told that "yes" it qualified.
I then gave them the mileage, our address, etc. and according to Gloria,
this morning, it was not done.
Dam VW!! As far as I'm concerned it's designed
software to get info about us and our car, and not pay what they say they will pay. I really believe there are quite a few in the same situation. I'm done
with VW. And am sick of their corporate greed.

You had to go online, and fill out the form per the goodwill web page instructions.
You then get a confirmation right then. It sounds like you did that. It is possible
you did not finish the sign up process. I recall it was not too difficult. I did it within
the first week after it was made available. It took about 9+ weeks to get cards.

If all you did was to call and ask if the car was eligible, give them VIN and address,
that was not registration.... sorry. Why did you wait so long. I know I procrastinate to.

Last edited:

jhinsc

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium
At about 37,000 miles, discovered I had a flat tire when I back out of the garage and made the turn to drive down my driveway to the street. By the time I noticed, I damaged the sidewall (tire flat as a pancake) that it could be fixed. Shame since it still had plenty of tread life left. Put the donut tire on, then stopped a the dealer on the way to work. I use the dealer card to have the tire replaced, and off I went to work. Then that night, I realized, 'why didn't have them replace the tire on the other side of the same axle so I would have tires with same tread life on each side?' One of those "I wish I had a V8 moments". So I called the dealer for an appointment to do just that. I ride on Conti 18" tires. I kept the good tire 'just in case'. I still had about $24 left on the card, so during my 40k mile service last week, I used the balance to pay just over half the cost of new wiper blades. My 40k service was already paid for when I had bought a heavily discounted service package for the 40k and 50k services last year - (already posted about that), so the only service I have paid the dealer directly for was at 30k miles. This has been the cheapest car to own!

BlueGruff

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW DSG; 2017 Jetta 1.8T Sedan
Yay

Well, I finally got good and irritated, and the Goodwill Package arrived in the mail today. Looked like junk mail, to be honest. Now I just have to make a trip to a dealership.
I finally received my Goodwill package today. It's 9 weeks later from when I had signed up on 4/21. Gonna get money order to cash out the $500 Visa card. I'll use Dealer card towards buying prepaid maintenance for my next VW. Yup, I will choose TDI buyback to get into another VW.

rwolff

Veteran Member
TDI
None yet
The question now will be .. which comes first... the goodwill $1000 or me trading in the TDI :)
The thousand comes first, since to activate the cards you need to bring your car to the dealer for them to verify certain info about it. If you trade it in first, you will no longer have it available to verify the info, so you won't be able to activate the cards.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
<snip> Yup, I will choose TDI buyback to get into another VW.
We've been very pleased with our '13 Passat TDI, but I'm not sure a gas Passat is going to be a good way forward for us. And cars of an equivalent size have no real standouts. The closest thing that has any appeal for us would probably be an Outback.

austintg

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Audi A6 Technik
Seems like a ton of people are liking the Outback. What about it is appealing to you?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
Seems like a ton of people are liking the Outback. What about it is appealing to you?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The only appeal it has to me is that it is just about the only "station wagon" that's affordable, other than the GSW. However I'm not overly fond of it, and it looks awkward on its jacked-up suspension, reminds me of the old AMC Eagle. It's also ugly, and not particularly fuel-efficient. The only attributes I see it having for me is that it's a wagon, can be had with a manual transmission, and in a price range we're willing to spend for a car. Volvo, Merc, Audi and BMW wagons are all way overpriced.

So for us, the only real replacement I can see for our GSW TDI would be a GSW TSI (I highly doubt we'd to go a TDI this time even if VW gets the green light to sell them again). Based on my experience with my Golf TSI, there is simply no financial justification for an engine that would only get marginally better fuel efficiency while being slower, noisier and with more capricious fuel and emissions systems.

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (Enroute BB).......2017 Jetta 1.4 turbo 5M ....................
....the only real replacement I can see for our GSW TDI would be a GSW TSI....
Yes, the GSW TSI is on my short list. And - after testing driving - so is the Mazda 3..........Car and Driver raves over the 6M/decent - light - clutch. Test drive has me on the same page.

EPA highway is 40. Over on VW Vortex, some - very few - are reporting mid-40's - low 50's. I just may take those as a challenge.

Only 39185 odo on our TDI wagon. Torque, fuel econ. and fun to drive factor are (as most of us can attest) high.

Again, C&D gives the M3 kudos for 'fun to drive'..............

ez sends

da_jokker

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
The thousand comes first, since to activate the cards you need to bring your car to the dealer for them to verify certain info about it. If you trade it in first, you will no longer have it available to verify the info, so you won't be able to activate the cards.

Oh I know.. I was joking meaning that once I can actually trade in my car (buyback?), if I still have not gotten my replacement cards, do I wait or say screw it. It is really only $500 anyway.

I check the mailbox every day.... the gag is over on the 28th... let's see who wins!

(Actually even if I get the cards, I will probably wait until the Gag is releases before I activate them just to make sure there are no gotchas)

skinnyb

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI
Saw an article on the vortex the there is going to be an Allroad Golf Wagen for 2017... Count me in, 2.0t, dsg, 4 motion... Nice :D :D

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
Saw an article on the vortex the there is going to be an Allroad Golf Wagen for 2017... Count me in, 2.0t, dsg, 4 motion... Nice :D :D
VW is going to call it the "Alltrack". However the 4Motion AWD system will also be on the non-cladded Golf wagons. Personally I prefer that. Cladding is just another place for grit to get caught behind and initiate rust.

That said, I have no real need for AWD. I've always gotten by just fine on FWD.

crashtested

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Q5 TDI Technik, 2014 GSW CL 6MT (RIP), 2004 Jetta GLS 5MT (sold), 2010 GSW HL 6MT (buy back)
VW is going to call it the "Alltrack". However the 4Motion AWD system will also be on the non-cladded Golf wagons. Personally I prefer that. Cladding is just another place for grit to get caught behind and initiate rust.
That said, I have no real need for AWD. I've always gotten by just fine on FWD.
What is a "non-cladded" Golf wagon?

BBD

TDI
Not Yet
Wanting to stay with a diesel but perhaps upgrade from the VW TDI, what does Audi offer in a sport sedan diesel, anybody know?

bubbagumpshrimp

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta TDI
Wanting to stay with a diesel but perhaps upgrade from the VW TDI, what does Audi offer in a sport sedan diesel, anybody know?
Check out Mercedes and BMW. They're the only ones with diesel powered sedans (being sold as new cars) in the states at the moment.

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
What is a "non-cladded" Golf wagon?
The VW Golf Alltrack will have plastic cladding like the Allroad, around the wheel arches and below doors and on door sills:

http://blog.caranddriver.com/2017-volkswagen-golf-alltrack-debuts-in-u-s-spec/

I think that cladding is a terrible idea and is the ideal place for grit and dirt to get trapped, and when the pieces work and vibrate against each other, eventually grind down the paint. Recently the body side molding on our old 2005 Passat fell off, revealing major perforation behind it.

I much prefer a car without cladding and side mouldings especially since I live on a dirt road and dust, grit and mud do get caught behind them, not to mention salt in the winter. Even religiously flushing with clean water doesn't stop accumulation between washes, and it is impossible to wax behind the cladding to protect the paint somewhat. I much prefer this:

http://blog.caranddriver.com/2017-vw-golf-sportwagen-4motion-offers-awd-without-crossover-pretensions/

Last edited:

crashtested

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Q5 TDI Technik, 2014 GSW CL 6MT (RIP), 2004 Jetta GLS 5MT (sold), 2010 GSW HL 6MT (buy back)
Imagine the difference between a regular Subaru Legacy wagon and a Subaru Legacy Outback (the Outback being cladded with all of that plastic body work).
Got it!! Looked over the pics and I can see the rubber maid add-on's.

emersonbiggins

TDI
09 JSW TDI
Was in for my 20k warranty work today and saw some Yeti coolers in the parts department. That may be what I use my $500 for since I will not be needing any parts or service in the future.

Richard
Was this Hewlett in Georgetown? I looked on their website and didn't see any Yeti products. Just asking, because I think this is actually a pretty cool use of the card, especially if you're ridding yourself of VW after this debacle.

Last edited:

KERMA

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
FWIW, you can use your "dealer only" card to buy a tune for your CR car at kermatdi

zoomydu

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen
OK, I'm glad to hear that the card can be used at VW dealerships on other cars. Our kid's old Mazda needs new tires and DH's Toyota desperately needs new brakes. One of our nearby VW dealerships also sells Mazda and Toyota, so I would hope they'd be willing to let us use the card to pay for service on one of those vehicles. Odds are likely that we'd put buyback $ towards a vehicle purchased from them. We bought the Mazda there and another Mazda3 hatchback is at top of our list of replacements for the JSW (in large part because it's one of the few vehicles I can still get with a manual and loaded).