TDIFest 2017 location discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Here is a thread for people to discuss possible locations for the 2017 TDIFest.

What is required to host a Fest?
  • Hotel with affordable room rates (sub $150/night)
  • Group activity space (usually a hotel with a conference center)
  • Event ideas (auto-cross, drag racing, group scenic drive, etc.)
  • Food ideas (people need to eat)
  • Reasonable weather for the time of year (historically Labor Day Weekend, but that isn't set in stone)
  • A local (100 mile radius?) group of people (recommend 3 to 6 dedicated individuals) who can see the process from inception to execution

If you are in an area of the country that you feel is conducive to a TDIFest and you have the time and energy to put into planning a national event for several hundred people, please post here.

TDIClub has several TDIFest "regulars" who are willing to assist with administrative duties, budgeting, registration, and general oversight. What we're really looking for is local people who want to bring this event to their home town.

Please do not use this as a casual location suggestion area. Things like "have you considered having a Fest in ______ location?" and "______ location would really be swell" are not productive if you aren't willing to do the work to make it happen.

With all of that said, let's get the planning for 2017 started! The sooner we get started, the more options we have at our disposal. :cool:

deegingerkid

Beware the Ginger! Vendor
TDI
"Blurple" 2000 New Beetle 5M 2006 Jetta has been SOLD
You know, I've been saying for awhile that I'd like to help organize a Tahoe fest. I think 2017 may be a good time in which to do so. I'll be there for a week this summer and will have plenty of time to price things out and speak with/scope out hotels in person. Any tips on reaching out via e-mail in advance?

VeeDub, we can exchange e-mails if you wanna discuss this further. I am serious about having another West Coast fest. 7 years is a big gap.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
Deeginger.., look up members John.Jackson92something-or-other, and Romad as they had posted in another thread about the so-Cal to Tahoe area for a fest.
Hey, if I can help collect a critical mass for a fest near Bentley Biofuels in Minden, NV, I'll do that much.

Last edited:

deegingerkid

TDI
Deeginger.., look up members John.Jackson92something-or-other, and Romad as they had posted in another thread about the so-Cal to Tahoe area for a fest.
Hey, if I can help collect a critical mass for a fest near Bentley Biofuels in Minden, NV, I'll do that much.

John lives in San Diego, and Dennis (Romad) is in Oroville. I'm by far the closest to Tahoe. I'm sure they'd help me, but as far as boots on the ground in the area, I'm it...and happy to do it. After looking at few of the ski resorts just in the past few hours, I'm WAY motivated. We'll see how this fleshes out.

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
John lives in San Diego, and Dennis (Romad) is in Oroville. I'm by far the closest to Tahoe. I'm sure they'd help me, but as far as boots on the ground in the area, I'm it...and happy to do it. After looking at few of the ski resorts just in the past few hours, I'm WAY motivated. We'll see how this fleshes out.
Check for a Reno/Tahoe convention authority. They have done all this many times over. They can guide you to car friendly properties. The San Diego convention authority was able to line up 3 suitable properties very quickly and the pricing was also reasonable, when I was looking at doing it in San Diego.

Reno/Tahoe is an incredible area.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
You know, I've been saying for awhile that I'd like to help organize a Tahoe fest. I think 2017 may be a good time in which to do so. I'll be there for a week this summer and will have plenty of time to price things out and speak with/scope out hotels in person. Any tips on reaching out via e-mail in advance?

VeeDub, we can exchange e-mails if you wanna discuss this further. I am serious about having another West Coast fest. 7 years is a big gap.

I'm happy to provide whatever information and assistance I can. Give me a call, email, whatever. :)

deegingerkid

TDI
Check for a Reno/Tahoe convention authority. They have done all this many times over. They can guide you to car friendly properties. The San Diego convention authority was able to line up 3 suitable properties very quickly and the pricing was also reasonable, when I was looking at doing it in San Diego.

Reno/Tahoe is an incredible area.

Good tip, John! I'll probably come to you for practical planning advice. I'll consider this a first piece. Thank you, friend. :) Lawson, I'll be in touch.

I'm excited to try to bring fest to Tahoe!!

cumminsfromthecold

Veteran Member
TDI
'84 Toyota 1Z 4WD x-cab
Re. Tahoe Fest

Just posted this in the west coast GTG forum.

"Is there any interest in a GTG in Truckee? Our little airport almost certainly has a big empty hangar available for a weekend. I work there sometimes and don't think it would be too hard to arrange. Lotta travel for most Bay area folks, but in summer, it's sweet here. Just throwing it out there. These GTGs will soon be gone, like biodiesel, I fear."

Having never been to a fest, how many people can be expected? Truckee's small, but South Lake Tahoe could work. Rooms are more affordable, varied food choices, conference centers, scenic drives available for sure. Dunno about a race course nearby. S Lake is very different than North Lake Tahoe, so much so that I seldom go there. It's like Reno on the water, which is nice compared to actually being in Reno :D.

I could add a hand. You'd get a good Reno crowd.

Last edited:

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Just posted this in the west coast GTG forum.

"Is there any interest in a GTG in Truckee? Our little airport almost certainly has a big empty hangar available for a weekend. I work there sometimes and don't think it would be too hard to arrange. Lotta travel for most Bay area folks, but in summer, it's sweet here. Just throwing it out there. These GTGs will soon be gone, like biodiesel, I fear."

Having never been to a fest, how many people can be expected? Truckee's small, but South Lake Tahoe could work. Rooms are more affordable, varied food choices, conference centers, scenic drives available for sure. Dunno about a race course nearby. S Lake is very different than North Lake Tahoe, so much so that I seldom go there. It's like Reno on the water, which is nice compared to actually being in Reno :D.

I could add a hand. You'd get a good Reno crowd.
An airport hangar is an interesting idea. Fest has drawn anywhere from 125 people to just over 300 people.

Lug_Nut

TDI
Banquet menu: Liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Eeeeewww, liver. Yuk! :) I don't know how much help I could be, but I live less than 30 minutes from South Shore and have never been to a TDIFest. As far as Bentley Fuels goes they no longer have a retail site.

EDIT: I got confused, I thought this year was potentially Tahoe. Now that I am out of school, I am willing to help what can I do?

Last edited:

deegingerkid

TDI
Eeeeewww, liver. Yuk! :) I don't know how much help I could be, but I live less than 30 minutes from South Shore and have never been to a TDIFest. As far as Bentley Fuels goes they no longer have a retail site.

EDIT: I got confused, I thought this year was potentially Tahoe. Now that I am out of school, I am willing to help what can I do?
PM me pretty please. I'll be in Tahoe for a week in July and would love to meet up and at least exchange names/info/ideas. If you're a Tahoe local, color me interested in speaking with you.

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
General question - I assume Lawson could answer this - geographically, where is the highest concentration of active tdiclub members?

Lug_Nut

TDI
Right here at my keyboard.
Extrapolate one person per 6 square feet into a larger area and that makes me highly dense.

Wait....

VeeDubTDI

TDI
General question - I assume Lawson could answer this - geographically, where is the highest concentration of active tdiclub members?
New England, the Midwest, and the Pacific Northwest.

MarsBar

Veteran Member
TDI
B4V#2 "Flash", 2000 Jetta GL, B4V#1 "PaTuDI" (2008-2018 RIP)
Hubby's car club had a convention in Carson City a few years ago, used the Golden West Hotel for the hub, did a day trip to Virginia City on the Virginia City Railway. Carson is also an easy distance from both Reno and Tahoe. Worth looking into, especially given what Labor Day Weekend hotel rates can be in the more touristed areas.

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
Hubby's car club had a convention in Carson City a few years ago, used the Golden West Hotel for the hub, did a day trip to Virginia City on the Virginia City Railway. Carson is also an easy distance from both Reno and Tahoe. Worth looking into, especially given what Labor Day Weekend hotel rates can be in the more touristed areas.
This is a great idea - have you contacted Deegingerkid about this location. She has posted in this thread and is looking for help with a Reno-Tahoe 2017 TDIFest.

elcid86

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SEL
I wonder how many TDI owners will be left by then...? :-(

---
"ZHP is a garbage option anyway- just some cosmetic upgrades with a different cam and diff to claw back some of the performance lost fitting those hideous and heavy wheels. Any 330 with a 3.46 diff will smoke a ZHP every time. The whole Mafia thing reeks of childish behavior." - anonymous

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
I wonder how many TDI owners will be left by then...? :-(

---
"ZHP is a garbage option anyway- just some cosmetic upgrades with a different cam and diff to claw back some of the performance lost fitting those hideous and heavy wheels. Any 330 with a 3.46 diff will smoke a ZHP every time. The whole Mafia thing reeks of childish behavior." - anonymous
The Die hards and the core folks will be here.....

bobt2382

Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor
TDI
2010 CW GOLF 4DR 6MT TDI
I would definitely support the Reno/Tahoe/Carson City area. I hope to eventually move there soon.

BrentRN

Veteran Member
TDI
Used to have many. Now a Golf TSI.
There is a total solar eclipse going from Oregon to Nebraska to Tennessee to South Carolina on August 21, 2017. How about a TDI-clipse Fest somewhere on its path? It's a little earlier than usual but just by 2 weeks, and people may be more up for traveling to an event that includes a real-life Dark Side of the Moon.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
This is not a VOTING issue. What is needed is WORKERS to make it happen. Find 3 to 6 WILLING coworkers and put together an actual Miami bid! Then I can come 3000 miles to Miami and enjoy the fruits of YOUR labor.
No, John, you'd just put yourself in danger of being infected with the Zika Virus. :D

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
New England, the Midwest, and the Pacific Northwest.
That pretty much sums up most of the US. I'm hoping Texas is part of the Midwest, because I know there are a lot of us TDIclub members out here.

I personally was going to suggest California or Central Texas (probably around Austin) myself. It's been a year since I've been to Reno/Tahoe. Nice area, but it does get cold at night there, given the higher elevation. If Reno is decided, count me in for going next year. Wisconsin was just too far this year.

Last edited:

mrchill

TDIClub Enthusiast, Super Secret Diesel Ninja Vend
MASS! home of THE WORLD SERIES CHAMPION RED SOX! x
TDI
96 B4v red \ 98 Mk3 green\98 Mk3 Jetta black\ 99 Mk4 Jetta green x2\ 99 Mk4 Golf silver x2\ 99 Mk4 Jetta black\ 97 B4 sedan green\04 JSW gold\03 JSW silver
Midwest is much farther north than Texas. I have suggested Texas in the past...but never seems enough interest. The Tdi member concentration isnt very high per square mile, but is pretty high overall. Especially when factoring in the neighboring states. Getting all those folks to participate...thats the trick.....

Status
Not open for further replies.