Injection Pump Head o-ring Replacement Frustrations...

Naimanator

Veteran Member
TDI
Silver 2002 Golf GLS TDI
In attempting to replace the o-ring that seals the injection pump head one of the torx screws that holds the head to the body stripped. Not the threads, but the head of the torx screw itself. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

It's the one in the following picture:
http://www.dieselgeek.com/images/DCP_4939.JPG

I know I can go buy a Craftsman bolt-out tool set to get the bolt removed, but I'll have to find a source for a new one. Does anyone have any idea if I could get a replacement from a dealer, or if getting a new one is going to be an extremely difficult and convoluted process? Any idea on a part number for that silver torx screw.

husky

TDI
01 jetta
i actually 5 days ago did same job and find allen head bolt at car quest im in san diego no problem size 6mm-50mm lengh and 1.0 thered

Naimanator

Veteran Member
TDI
Silver 2002 Golf GLS TDI
That's amazing news, thanks guys. I really don't understand why they would bother using the torx bits on there. Even though I bought a good quality craftsman set of torx bits I felt like the T-30 was really loose in there and was worried that they might strip...

Naimanator

Veteran Member
TDI
Silver 2002 Golf GLS TDI
The saga continues....

Received my "bolt-out" set in the mail today from my parents' house. Lo and behold, it contains a #2 and a #4 but not a #3 which is exactly the one I need. #2 is too small, and #4 is too large...... Grrrrr....

Naimanator

Veteran Member
TDI
Silver 2002 Golf GLS TDI
DPM said:
can't you just drill the head off, remove the lid, and unscrew?
Nope. If you actually remove the head of the pump then you have to rebuild the internals, which is a job for a Bosh pump shop, not a home mechanic.

alphaseinor

TDI Innovator, Gone but Not Forgotten
TDI
'03 Jetta TDI 780,000 miles (totaled out), 01 Audi TT 225 Quattro 230,000 Miles (runs great!), 00 Cabreetle Beetle dash, ALH & MK4 harness Swap
is the pump off the car?

if you place the pump vertically (with the head up), you can remove the pump head. there are three rollers below that need to be aligned. There are also two springs, and two shafts, fairly obvious the way it comes together.

have you tried a 12 point 8mm or 9mm socket, hammer it on the bolt?

if it's still on the car, make sure you've got the pump head seal all the way on the pump, it tends to catch on the bottom... then it will cut the seal, and you're back to square 1.

Naimanator

Veteran Member
TDI
Silver 2002 Golf GLS TDI
alphaseinor said:
is the pump off the car?

if you place the pump vertically (with the head up), you can remove the pump head. there are three rollers below that need to be aligned. There are also two springs, and two shafts, fairly obvious the way it comes together.

have you tried a 12 point 8mm or 9mm socket, hammer it on the bolt?

if it's still on the car, make sure you've got the pump head seal all the way on the pump, it tends to catch on the bottom... then it will cut the seal, and you're back to square 1.
Pump is still in car.

Naimanator

Veteran Member
TDI
Silver 2002 Golf GLS TDI
I finally got the job done today. The only issue I'm still having is that 2 of the injector lines have slow leaks at the injectors even though I've loosened and re tightened them a few times.