'99 Audi A4Q/2.0TDI Conversion

TDIsyncro

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi/TDI x 2
Rexking414 said:
How's that vibration been with the engine runnign good? It should be fine, the only difference is the lighter fly wheel, otherwise basically it's a BGW now.
Vibration at idle is about the same. I think I need to change my motor mounts. The V6 mounts are much stiffer than the 1.8T and BHW mounts. I hope to find a used pair of BHW mounts to trial.

named tintin

Veteran Member
TDI
golf tdi
wow, Very impressive project.... congrats.!!

Since you have changed your injector, you have solve your low RPM problem, but it was only a tiny duration Map forgotten who had to be recalibrated for smaller nozzle, something like a idle duration map used from 0 to 2000rpm + - 200rpm according to the timing map value.

vwmikel

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'94 Golf Sport TDI
named tintin said:
wow, Very impressive project.... congrats.!!

Since you have changed your injector, you have solve your low RPM problem, but it was only a tiny duration Map forgotten who had to be recalibrated for smaller nozzle, something like a idle duration map used from 0 to 2000rpm + - 200rpm according to the timing map value.
Read back further, there were issues with the injector balance not the injection quantity ;)

named tintin

Veteran Member
TDI
golf tdi
TDIsyncro said:
...... The engine sputters and misses something terrible if driven lightly.

.............and just two days ago, flashed the ECU with an updated injector map. The car became a lot more driveable after the update, but the engine still sputters because of a severe injector balance issue.

.........Urban driving is very difficult, as it seems to turn off injectors frequently in that situation.
Mike, It's exactly the right symptom, found both map and compare the BHW one to the PD150 one, you will see very quickly that the difference are very big, the idle will never run smooth with PD 150 value on BHW injector.

vwmikel

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'94 Golf Sport TDI
named tintin said:
Mike, It's exactly the right symptom, found both map and compare the BHW one to the PD150 one, you will see very quickly that the difference are very big, the idle will never run smooth with PD 150 value on BHW injector.
tell me a file and a map address and I'll tell you if it's something I tried to address or not :)

TDIsyncro

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi/TDI x 2
Thanks for your comments tintin. :)

I shot a launch video yesterday. There was no ice on road but it was a bit greasy as you can tell by my sideways acceleration through 1st & 2nd. I did have pretty good traction though, as the rear diff was hammering on the sub frame from the torque. My V6 did not even do that on dry pavement launches. This is the MAF delete program. Intercooler not hooked up so I had to feather the pedal a bit through 3rd as EGT got to high (1500F is my personal max allowable).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLw6xxuAOb0

Rexking414

Veteran Member
TDI
02 jetta
Nice Smoke!:eek:

Even better would be a hot pursuit filmed from a helicopter with that thing.

Any luck on the instrument cluster aspect?

kentonsj

TDI
2005 B5 Passat 2.0 TDI PD BHW
I had the opportunity of going for a ride with TDISyncro the day that he shot that clip. All I can say is that car hauls ass! We went for a ride in my Passat after, and a factory tuned BHW is quite a bit more subdued:) TDISyncro has done a really good job on the build, everything under the hood looks like it's factory. The sound in the car in absolutely phenomenal! Very well done!

TDIsyncro

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi/TDI x 2
Rexking414 said:
Nice Smoke!:eek:

Even better would be a hot pursuit filmed from a helicopter with that thing.

Any luck on the instrument cluster aspect?

Yeah, I'm not short on fueling...and that is running 28psi boost too.

hahahaLOL If I don't slow down on the highway, you might see me on the late night news. :D

OK, refresh my memory on the instrumment cluster issue..I spent so much time trouble shooting the sputter I almost went crazy and forgot everything else. :) The only function not working on my instrument cluster at this point, is correct fuel mileage display, and oil temp. I will solve the oil temp issue by installing a sensor on the line to the turbo (most important oil temp reading) and wrap the line with header wrap or something. The fuel mileage display..not sure how to solve this yet. It reads around 50L/100km :D

TDIsyncro

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi/TDI x 2
kentonsj said:
I had the opportunity of going for a ride with TDISyncro the day that he shot that clip. All I can say is that car hauls ass! We went for a ride in my Passat after, and a factory tuned BHW is quite a bit more subdued:) TDISyncro has done a really good job on the build, everything under the hood looks like it's factory. The sound in the car in absolutely phenomenal! Very well done!
Thanks Scott. It was a pleasure meeting you.

TDIsyncro

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi/TDI x 2
fishmando said:
Bump for my favorite thread! Give us some updates.
Thanks fishmando. :)

Not to much to update on right now. The temps out here have been fluctuating between -25 to -39C for the last 3 weeks..just puts me in no mood to work on my car. While my shop does have wood heating, it is uninsulated so I can burn through a lot of wood just to get it to -5C inside. :( I can say I have put about 7K on it now. The vibration at idle is annoying and I will have to change to the Passat B5.5 motor mounts soon to keep my sanity. I have also been looking a few different options on the exhaust because I would like it quieter on long highway trips but love the exhaust note on more aggressive drives. This would probably involve a cut-out type system with a Flowmaster Muffler.
I hope to do a throttle "roll on" video this weekend - it will show RPM, EGT, Speed (acceleration) Boost response and EMP. May be some time splits too, as the temps are suppose to get up to a warm -5C or something like that. :)

oh yeah..I will try to get your vid request done too. "Nice vid, now lets see it filmed from another car while ripping on the interstate!" I am working on a Link G3 ECU install in a friends modded Suby RS..may be we can make some dualing vids if we get it installed and half decent tuned.

Last edited:

fishmando

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta 5 spd
Thats funny, one of my best car modding buddies has a suby RS as well.

I am thinking of trading my mk4 for an a4 and then saving up for the swap. That would give me time to make a fully built engine.

I really need to see your car in person sometime!

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2005 TDI GLS, RIP
I think that fishmando, with all the new BHW knowledge, can properly build up a BHW with the new improved oil pump gear and then keep the balance system intact. Should be a VERY interesting project!

TDIsyncro

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi/TDI x 2
blacksmith said:
what kind of feul milage are getting now?
and what are your gear ratios
The gear ratios are mentioned on the first page - about 2200RPM at 100KPH. I have been driving 120-140KPH pretty much everywhere, and temps have been averaging -25 to -36C, so fuel economy has not been spectacular. Somewhere around 40mpg.

TDIsyncro

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi/TDI x 2
I recently ordered a set of Passat B5.5 BHW motor mounts. They arrived yesterday and I installed them tonight.
It was a one hour job. I put the car up on stands, then placed a jack under the oil pan. I then took the nuts off the motor mounts (had to remove the intercooler on one side to access the top side nut. I then removed 6 large bolts holding the left and right brackets bolted to the subframe. These brackets hold the sway bar and pick-up the bottom side of the motor mounts. With these bolts removed it was easy to drop these brackets down, swap in the new motor mounts, and push it back up, being carefull to keep the alignment pins in the right slots.
In comparing the V6 mounts and the BHW mounts, there is a really big stiffness difference. That is the BHW ones are much more pliable.
On testing, I found that chassis vibration is a lot more managable now. My hood lip is no longer forming a standing wave at idle :eek: , my steering wheel is not bouncing all over the place, my dash is not buzzing and my front bumper is not buzzing :D I have to conceed that it is still not as good as I want it and will go ahead with the new gear drive balance shaft assembly this summer.:cool:

Scott_DeWitt

Vendor
TDI
2000 Audi A4 1.9TDI quattro
TDIsyncro said:
On testing, I found that chassis vibration is a lot more managable now. My hood lip is no longer forming a standing wave at idle :eek: , my steering wheel is not bouncing all over the place, my dash is not buzzing and my front bumper is not buzzing :D I have to conceed that it is still not as good as I want it and will go ahead with the new gear drive balance shaft assembly this summer.:cool:
Give me a call when you decide to do the Balance shaft. I can beat any north american suppliers pricing on that kit.

TDIsyncro

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi/TDI x 2
Scott_DeWitt said:
Give me a call when you decide to do the Balance shaft. I can beat any north american suppliers pricing on that kit.
Thanks for the note, I will definately do that.

TDIsyncro

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi/TDI x 2
Just picked this up. Its a 2001 Audi A4Q 1.8T 5spd, 137,000km (85,600 miles). I am a hopeless project junkie.:eek: I am going to do a build for my wife, may be this coming fall/winter. The engine had some minor damage to plastic cover and cam pulley and runs excellent with no codes. I will sell this off immediatley. The body has some minor front end damage - bit of sub-frame repair, new core support, right fender, hood, bumper and A/C coil. I am will to donate my bumper and hood to the wifes car and will have to settle for replacing mine with a carbon fiber hood and RS4 front bumper/side skirts. :p

What a beauty! :D

I might sell my TDI syncro as is, or steal the TDI engine (swap the G60 back in) and convert the AHU to an AFN style for the audi.
Not sure yet.

This is the syncro/TDI wagon I dont think I have a good pic of it posted anywhere else.

Last edited:

jjordan11

Veteran Member
TDI
1988 Audi 80 quattro PD130, 1982 Westfalia TDI
nice grab, this should be another good build thread. When do you plan on starting on it?

TDIsyncro

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi/TDI x 2
I will start with frame/body repairs late summer. Then move into the TDI installation late fall/winter..I think. We'll see how things go money wise. I also have a nice ARGO I want to rebuild for this summer and a large house addition, soooo..no shortage of projects. :)

TDIsyncro

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi/TDI x 2
leicaman said:
You should figure on putting in a new radiator as these type of VAG cars don't take kindly to a tweaked radiator.
yep, probably will, but I thought I would let the local rad shop have a try at it first. There was a slow drip (one drop every 1/2hr, or so) on the bottom passanger side, so if it can't be re-crimpped then new rad it is. :)