TDIFest 2017 location discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Andy, you may be right, but here's an alternative view.

VW has just secured approval to sell the 12,000 new TDIs that are on dealer lots. In addition, dealers can retrieve any 2015 TDIs that they've bought back and resell them. I'm not sure how many cars that totals, but I would guess it's over 30,000 TDIs back on the roads. And if they get EPA approval on the fix for the Gen 1 cars (they say they're optimistic) that could be another several hundred thousand cars that either remain in the fleet or come back to it. And the people who buy these cars this time are far more likely to be enthusiasts, as non enthusiasts (like the lady at the lab) wouldn't go back to VW.

We may have much more traffic and interest in a TDI fest in 2018.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Wow! If this sort of thing is happening across the land, it's hard to believe VW will come back as strong as it has been.
Yes, they certainly crapped in their small nest here. Their ambitious goal of 800,000 units sold in the U.S. a few years ago will probably never materialize here. But they still make a decent car, and are still #1 or #2 in worldwide sales.

And all the dealers suck, not just VW ones. It's all about sucking cash out of car owners at those places, and they have some questionable ethics too.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Well, it is good to learn that many of those "buy-backs" will be available for sale.

As for dealers, I have to share this story.

January of 2016, I purchased an 89 Vanagon Carat that had spent it's life in the Knoxville, TN area (no rust). I became the 3rd owner of this somewhat low mileage vehicle (142k).

Anyway, I got all the "paper work" with it. I put it all in chronological order.......... I was so amazed at how much was spent on this vehicle at the local dealer ....... unreal. Without all the details, much of it looked to be totally unnecessary!

I installed a used ECU and it's been running just fine for 15 months!

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Andy, you may be right, but here's an alternative view.

VW has just secured approval to sell the 12,000 new TDIs that are on dealer lots. In addition, dealers can retrieve any 2015 TDIs that they've bought back and resell them. I'm not sure how many cars that totals, but I would guess it's over 30,000 TDIs back on the roads. And if they get EPA approval on the fix for the Gen 1 cars (they say they're optimistic) that could be another several hundred thousand cars that either remain in the fleet or come back to it. And the people who buy these cars this time are far more likely to be enthusiasts, as non enthusiasts (like the lady at the lab) wouldn't go back to VW.

We may have much more traffic and interest in a TDI fest in 2018.
I think that's pretty optimistic. I don't think 30,000 coming back will offset a loss of several hundred thousand. But as you say, they are much more likely to be enthusiast-owned, which may bode well for future events.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
30,000 is a lot of TDIs, historically. VW was selling fewer than 10,000 ALHs annually because of fleet emissions limits. I'd love to see the Gen 1 cars come back, but I agree that may be optimistic.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
In addition, dealers can retrieve any 2015 TDIs that they've bought back and resell them. ... And if they get EPA approval on the fix for the Gen 1 cars (they say they're optimistic) that could be another several hundred thousand cars that ... come back....
After hearing so many owners say they were stopping all maintenance, including oil changes, pending the buy back I don't think I'd want one of these, ever.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Well, there's that. I can only hope that there are good cars that have escaped the treatment of the vocal few that are neglecting and abusing the returned cars (including dealer employees from what I've been told).

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
We have seen both here. Some even did 40k and 80k a couple months before turning the cars in. Others won't fix even worn brakes or bald tires.

There have been a few come in with bumpers falling off and trunk lids tied shut, but for the most part they have been mechanically in decent shape.

Jason

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
aww why the talk of "no 2017 fest" ??
It's a bummer. The Wisconsin one last September was a great time, but it's too late to get one organized for this Fall, and no one has stepped forward with a plan anyways.

I'd like to see another Fest in the Northeast as I was not able to attend the last ones due to work, but I am free as a bird now and have family in Connecticut.

For 2018, planning should start in a few months. But....:confused:

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
How about Kansas City !!!!
Kansas or Missouri? Missouri has a lot of archaic tax laws that prevented a fest from being held there in the past so that's out.

Honestly? I think it would be a really low turn out. No offence but there is no draw to the area to get people to come other than good BBQ.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
Since it is too late for 2017, I suggest this thread be locked and a new one for either 2018 or 2019 be created.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Since it is too late for 2017, I suggest this thread be locked and a new one for either 2018 or 2019 be created.
2018 would be my choice, but 2019 may be too far out to plan for this year. The way things are going though, the odds of more Fests occurring are getting lower.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Now is the perfect time to start planning something for 2018. I suspect that future Fests will be smaller than some of the ones we've had in the past, but there is still the potential for good turnout, especially with a number of people buying 2015s, refreshing the base of enthusiasts (as opposed to the base of fuel efficient appliance drivers).

I'll lock this thread and create a new one.

Status
Not open for further replies.