5.0L TDI

SteveS

Veteran Member
TDI
00 NB automatic TDI
Reading the January, 2000 issue of Motor Trend, I saw a paragraph on p.23 describing a VW 5.0L TDI which produces 313HP@4000 rpm. and 554 lb.ft. of torque. How do I beg VW to bring this to the states?

Keith

Veteran Member
Tell VW a 5.0L TDI would beat a Mustang 5.0 and get twice the MPG!

Keith.

BeetleGo

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
5-door, 5-speed Golf GLS replaced BeetleGo.
I think you're referring to the engine that was in the D1 concept. Check it out below.
Note: This is not written in English, but if you go to the 'blue paragraph' I think you can see the same numbers you refer to regarding the engine.
link
{Fixed Link}

[This message has been edited by VW Derf (edited December 07, 1999).]

BeetleGo

TDI
Man! That's the second time this week an link didn't go where it was supposed to!

Go to 'Askjeeves' and type in "Volkswagen D!"
The second entry under "Web Resources" will get you there.

Sorry about that.

ThinkDiesel

Veteran Member
I was drooling over that jewel myself..

I read recently that the D1 concept car is headed for the US in 2001 or 2002...but without the radical back end
a normal trunk instead..

And with a choice of V-8 and V-10 GASOLINE engines... No 5.0 TDI for the US is planned.
Not that I'm suprised, but it was a nice dream while it lasted. Europe will probably see the 5.0 TDI. You might be able to buy one there and drive it around for 2 months so its "used" then import it.. If you can afford a D1, then you could afford to do that..

Current US law says that you cannot import ANY cars that are not US spec models FROM the factory. 3 car dealers have told me this.. It used to be you could have the car modified to meet US specs, but this is no longer true. You could buy a Golf in Germany, but only if it was a US bound Golf with US specs..

I think when the car is used, you can get around that..Thats why you sometime see 2 year old Alfa Romeos driving around in the US

cars wanted

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS-TDI, 2000, white/beige
Maybe the 5.0 L. engine was featured in the D1 concept car, but that doesn't necessarily mean that production cars will get it. I vaguely remember the New Beetle concept car a few years ago having a hybrid engine as a possibility, but we sure have not seen any such thing here yet!

wxman

Veteran Member
TDI
Other Diesel
No 5.0 TDI in North America? Are you serious? I thought the 5.0 TDI was the featured engine in the D1 concept car?

BeetleGo

TDI
I was in Dresden when they debued this car at the AAI in Frankfurt. Since Dresden is where the factory will be to produce this car, I found many people who were eager to talk about it. From the looks of it, the majority of Germans want this car as a fastback with the 5.0. Guess where all of them are going to go?

In Germany, the TDI is considered the premium engine option. When you consider the locomotive nature of the power delivery and the effortless and smooth highway composure, it makes sense.

Over here, we won't get it - the product or the concept. What a shame.

------------------
BeetleGo, crazy