Anyone have the Tamper Proof "Triangular" socket for injector pump?

chargersrt10

TDI
00 Mk4 Jetta TDI ALH
Hello to all fellow VW owners and enthusiasts. I'm in a bit of a pickle and hoping someone can bail me out. The quantity adjuster on my injector pump is acting up, and I'm hoping to take it apart to clean it out. Does anyone have this "metalnerd" Triangular socket for the tamper proof Triangular bolt on the bosh injection pump? I can "borrow/Buy", and I can come to you to grab it(depending on how far you are of course). Please let me know ASAP. Thanks

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
Make one.

Take a 9/32 socket (most sets have them and very rarely used) and grind 3 corners a touch larger with a dremel.

Last edited:

akafred

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 jetta TDI
i just used a ctc stripped bolt remover. then i cut a slot and used a flat bit to reinstall

climbtheplanet

TDI
2001 Golf
Make one.

Take a 9/32 socket (most sets have them and very rarely used) and grind 3 corners a touch larger with a dremel.
Wingnut means 3 sides, not corners.

Here is excerpt from another post on how to make one:

Gentleman, i made the mistake of "not ordering online" the odd shaped triangular socket, thinking that i could find it in some local store or i would get one at our local VW guy here in town... Anyway, looked all over import part & tool suppliers with no luck! And our local VW guy has gone out of business!

So, after thinking that i'd have to wait another week for the aforementioned socket i decided to use a little ingenuity and proceeded to fabricate my own out of a 9/32 craftsman 1/4 inch drive 6 point socket!!!

I firmly believe that you should always have the right tool for the job, but since i was in a bind i was able to bore the "triangular shape" into the 9/32 inch socket and since you don't need a lot of torque on that bolt, even though the socket was a little loose, it did the job just fine without ever "hurting" the bolt's head.

Material Needed:

1- 9/32 inch 6 pt 1/4 inch drive socket

Equipment Needed:

1- Dremel type tool
1- Round type "boring bit"
1- Vise grip

Time Required:

About 5 to 10 Minutes.

Procedure: Just bore-out tree of them 6 walls in the socket (leaving one intact in between) in a way to just "round-out" every other wall as to just match the 120 degrees that you'd have within the circumference... and keep trying it in the IP until you get it to fit in!

I had to do this and here are a few things I learned:

A 7 mm socket will work as well.
You only need to take of a very small amount from the 3 sides you grind. When Wingnut says "a touch" he means it. Don't get too aggressive and try to not enlarge any of the corners. Doing either or both of these will result in a sloppy socket fit and a scary time trying to get the bolt to break free. I also has a little play and seeing as this bolt is basically a hex with three factory stripped corners, I was always wondering if the bolt would strip until it broke free (I may have had a particularly sticky bolt).

I too believe in having the right tool for the job but I also believe in saving 23 bucks on a socket I will use one or 2 times ever on a VW tamper-proof bolt that really does not need to be there anyway.

Hope these tips help others.

Kree

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Golf
Wingnut means 3 sides, not corners.

Here is excerpt from another post on how to make one:

Gentleman, i made the mistake of "not ordering online" the odd shaped triangular socket, thinking that i could find it in some local store or i would get one at our local VW guy here in town... Anyway, looked all over import part & tool suppliers with no luck! And our local VW guy has gone out of business!

So, after thinking that i'd have to wait another week for the aforementioned socket i decided to use a little ingenuity and proceeded to fabricate my own out of a 9/32 craftsman 1/4 inch drive 6 point socket!!!

I firmly believe that you should always have the right tool for the job, but since i was in a bind i was able to bore the "triangular shape" into the 9/32 inch socket and since you don't need a lot of torque on that bolt, even though the socket was a little loose, it did the job just fine without ever "hurting" the bolt's head.

Material Needed:

1- 9/32 inch 6 pt 1/4 inch drive socket

Equipment Needed:

1- Dremel type tool
1- Round type "boring bit"
1- Vise grip

Time Required:

About 5 to 10 Minutes.

Procedure: Just bore-out tree of them 6 walls in the socket (leaving one intact in between) in a way to just "round-out" every other wall as to just match the 120 degrees that you'd have within the circumference... and keep trying it in the IP until you get it to fit in!

I had to do this and here are a few things I learned:

A 7 mm socket will work as well.
You only need to take of a very small amount from the 3 sides you grind. When Wingnut says "a touch" he means it. Don't get too aggressive and try to not enlarge any of the corners. Doing either or both of these will result in a sloppy socket fit and a scary time trying to get the bolt to break free. I also has a little play and seeing as this bolt is basically a hex with three factory stripped corners, I was always wondering if the bolt would strip until it broke free (I may have had a particularly sticky bolt).

I too believe in having the right tool for the job but I also believe in saving 23 bucks on a socket I will use one or 2 times ever on a VW tamper-proof bolt that really does not need to be there anyway.

Hope these tips help others.
Thank you!

JimMcC

TDI
1997 Jetta TDI
I was able to take a good quality 7mm 12 point socket and tap it over the triangular head carefully. That stuck well enough to break the screw loose (and the socket was undamaged). I replaced the screw with a 6mm x 60mm socket head screw. If I didn't find the replacement screw, I figured that once the old screw came out, a grinder could have turned the triangular head into a hex fairly easily. Hope this helps.

Last edited: