Richmond,Va TDIers

tonystdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta 700K miles, 2000 Jetta 288,000 miles
This weekend is bad for me, but I’m down for a gtg, it’s been awhile.

tonystdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta 700K miles, 2000 Jetta 288,000 miles
Oktoberfest in Chesapeake, Virginia, at the Big Ugly Brewing Company. Any interest in attending this event? For more information you can check it out, www.biguglybrewingcompany.com or Knights of Columbus council 8240 Facebook page.

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 5 sp, 226K miles
HI,

I'm in between Charlottesville and Richmond.

A GTG would be cool.

I would love to meet people who are good at messing with TDI's since dealers are so much $$ and don't often like modding things!

My current car needs and injection pump and timing belt ....

Any gurus out there interested or able to help ?

I have some tools and even the timing belt tools just no electronic scanner etc...

Thanks

Andy

Tdipower86

TDI
98 Jetta AHU, 03 golf tdi ALH
I wouldn't say im a guru but I cant afford to send my 2 tdi to the shop so ive learned too turn the wrenches on them. one is far from stock and keeps up with mustangs and the other I just drive it with minor mods done to it. On a side note how did everyone manage thru the storm?

OkiHero

TDI
04 Golf BEW
Is anyone free next Sunday? I finally got all the tools I need to pull the head and would greatly appreciate if any of you guys could give me a hand.

OkiHero

TDI
04 Golf BEW
Started to work on the golf today everything was smooth until one of the 6mm pulley bolts rounded out on me. I have a few bits at the job and should be able to get it out using a 7 mm (hopefully). Any other ideas for this would be appreciated. On a more somber note when I went to take the tensioner off it took almost no effort to turn all three of the bolts same with the three pulley bolts the serpentine belt also was a bit chews up something I had noticed when I first got the car but was the first thing I replaced. This might be the root of the issue at hand. Llemo's video was extremely helpful so thanks for that.

backfast61

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 VW Jetta TDI automatic,2006 VW Jetta TDI 5 speed
I'm located here in Mechanicsville,VA near the hospital. I do my own mechanical work, dsg flywheel, timing belts, oil and fluid changes... I could not afford a vw tdi if I did not do my own maintenance work.

OkiHero

TDI
04 Golf BEW
I don't think any of us could. Also I'm considering getting stickers made that say "I'm broke because I like VAG." Any interest?

OkiHero

TDI
04 Golf BEW
So got the the belt off and whatever that part is that bolts into intake above the valve cover and got it off. Looks like I dropped a valve. I took pictures but don't have a third party hosting site to upload them. So anyone selling a head?

llemo

TDI
2013 VW Golf TDI; 2003 VW Golf TDI (sold)
I bought a used cylinder head off of ebay that worked well until I had to sell my car (30,000 miles), I think it was around $300. Reman stuff is a crap shoot and new costs too much unless you have the money, or you can send it to franko6 who rebuilds heads:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=394916

OkiHero

TDI
04 Golf BEW
I'm in contact with Frank. Unfortunately the wall next to the valve has a crack that Frank said is unweld- able. I saw one from a wreaker on eBay for 410 complete minus the injection pump. 325 for just the head.

fase2000TDI

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jettawagon TDI; 2015 GSW 6MT
Hope to meet all of you at some point. This thread really has itching to start wrenching on TDI's again - just had a few changes with the day job and no good place to work on TDI's as of yet. I've done work on my own stuff at Rent-A-Lift, but I work quite a bit more slowly using other peoples tools as it's just not set up in a way conducive to working as efficiently as I'd like.

We plan to save up and buy a piece of land to put a camper on, and to build a garage to work out of. We really prefer to pay cash instead of financing anything - so that might be a year or so off. More than the money, I miss being able to wrench on these and meet the awesome TDI owners out there. I had a great experiencing servicing these vehicles when I lived in Rhode Island. I took a lot of pride in my work - doing it right and leaving it the way I'd want to find it the next time.

Last edited:

Tdipower86

TDI
98 Jetta AHU, 03 golf tdi ALH
im right on the border of Chesapeake and Suffolk if you need a place work on your car. I just sold my mk3 jetta tdi and just finished building my 5.3 for my Silverado. my mk4 golf will probably remain stock and be used for a commuter

OkiHero

TDI
04 Golf BEW
Made some head way yesterday got the head loose but it seems to still be stuck on what looks like the back of the timing cover plate. I guess I have to remove the cam hub.

OkiHero

TDI
04 Golf BEW
Bringing back a dead thread for continuity sake. Hey was wondering if anyone with VCDS and a free Sunday would mind helping me finish putting my golf back together and going making sure everything is running within parameters. I can offer beer and pizza of your liking.

Decreppo

TDI
2006 Jetta 1.9L
I know this thread was from a Pre COVID world but wanted to say hello to all my fellow Richmond area TDI owners. I am actually in between Richmond/Charlottesville. I have friends in Richmond and was just in Carytown yesterday. I’m new to Tdi engines so if anyone is doing work in this area and would like someone to hold a wrench for them I’d love to come help.

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
Hi

Im between located between Richmond and Charlottesville and would be interested in most anything.....

Andrew

Decreppo

TDI
2006 Jetta 1.9L
Nice to meet you Andrew. I am hopefully going to change out my camshaft in my 06 BRM engine in the next few weeks. Possible going to have a member here do it. If you want to help or know of anyone familiar with the process that would be great.

-David

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
Hi

I can do some mechanical type stuff but I'm not probably the person to have to swap out a camshaft but if I'm not working I'd be happy to help do whatever and possibly learn because at some point it might be a good thing to do on my car although mine is an alh 2003.

I have a TDI Guru usually do the heavier lifting as far as mechanical stuff since I drive for work and cannot afford to be down for any for a long time well the car sits in pieces .... maybe he could help you he's located in Stafford Virginia

I do have a vag-com cable and computer if that helps but I think I have to get the software and pay for the change over in ownership with Ross Tech.

Andrew

Digital4n6

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Audi A8L TDI
Long time, no post.

Have a 2015 VW Passat TDI and located just north of Richmond and south Ashland. Have the vag-com and a lift in the garage, plenty of parking in our little neighborhood. Would be willing to host a wrench day or travel for a get together.

SBOX_TDI

TDI
ALH
Long time, no post.

Have a 2015 VW Passat TDI and located just north of Richmond and south Ashland. Have the vag-com and a lift in the garage, plenty of parking in our little neighborhood. Would be willing to host a wrench day or travel for a get together.
Could definitely use VAG COM work on my TDI. Haha

Cosmo's UNA

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
I'm in Charlottesville, would do an outdoor gtg, I'm at 358k. I have done timing belt, Vag-Com, hammer mod injection pump, ventectomy, front wheel bearing. Doing the DIESELGEEK full bushing kit this weekend, I'm a slow worker. In addition, improving the engine side cable end with a couple shims and RTV. After the holidays would probably be best for everyone!

TDI
MK6 Golf TDI
Just picked up a mk6 golf that needs some loving. Brother lives in Richmond so hopefully I'll be out that way some with the tdi once it's roadworthy. Live here in Dublin, VA