Blower motor only works on High (4)

Joker Ace

TDI
2006 Jetta Tdi, 2009 Jetta Tdi
Ok-today I went out to the 2006 TDI only to find that my blower motor only worked on high (4). I read in the forums that the resistor pack is messed up. pn 1K0 959 263A. I priced this in several places with the cheapest being IDparts.com at 39.95 plus shipping. While searching I ended up at the VWVortex.com and found this post: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?2665283 . Interesting idea that the thermal fuze is the only thing that might be blown. I did not have any noise from the motor itself so I figured it was worth the effort and $2. I tested the thermal fuze and it showed as open when unplugged so it seemed logical. I ran over to RadioShack (across the street even though their selection is not very good anymore). The thermal fuze showed (had to look with a light and magnifying glass) 240C. RS had a 226C and I figured a little less is safer (we'll see how it works over time) Part # 270-1321. Soldered it up using rosin core to clean the surface first and then soldered it on. Total time about 5 minutes. Plugged it in and it worked perfectly. This may not be everyone's solution but for $1.94 with tax it sure was worth the try before spending $50. Besides if it blows again I might need a motor but I can replace the thermal fuze again for another $2 and use the $50 toward the motor. Try it before you give in to buying a new one. The original parts are better to keep in my opinion and that means I still have OEM that has worked for a few years now.
FYI-this is not an advanced repair-any novice can do it if they have a soldering iron.

Info-this is non climate control and a MK5 but it should work on any Jetta or other VW with a thermal fuse.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
The usual failure mode is that a worn out motor draws excessive current destroying the resistor pack.

If your time is worth nothing then keep changing resistors. I would change the resistor pack and the motor and be done with it..............

zleem60

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI w/ 5th gear swap .658, 2002Jetta Tdi six speed swap!! :)
DanG144, how do you lubricating the fan and fan motor bearings? What kind of lubricant do you use to do that. I pulled my out because it was squeaking. Wow was it dirty, I use my air gun and blow all the crap out of it and it is working great with no squeaking. But I would like to lube it also.

Thanks,
Mike

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Has anyone come up with a filter upstream of the fan instead of downstream? Wouldn/t that solve most of the fouling issues?

ebockus

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.5 jetta tdi
nice to know, i read the other post they mentioned using silver solder as normal solder might melt. (thought i might mention it :p) zleem60 where do i start on removing the fan? if u point me in the right direction i can get it from there? under hood or dash?
thanks

ebockus

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.5 jetta tdi
so i took a look for myself today, thought this might help other people.... how to replace blower fan 2006 jetta... easy as pie, its under the glove box, there a foam shield held in by 2 plastic screws, remove them, the fan is right there, unplug the electrical connector, then rotate the fan and it pops out. my was squeeling a bit so i drilled 2 small holes in the bearing covers at each end to allow me to pump a bit of grease in there using a needle on my grease gun. popped it back it, golden sounds great. should hold it off for a while. the fan motor needs to be removed from the plastic housing to do this

Jesse1983

TDI
06 Jetta TDI
I attempted to replace the resistor pack in my 06 Jetta this weekend (same symptom, heat is only working on 4, 1-3 speeds not working). After i removed the glove box I could not find the resistor pack. Can anyone help me locate this? thanks.

BrentRN

Veteran Member
TDI
Used to have many. Now a Golf TSI.
Came across this thread as I just got the issue of the blower only working on 4. Followed the repair as shown in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLWn3J6QUXk

I also followed the linked guide on lubricating the blower motor. The blower wheels was a little stiff and I lubed it with silicone. So far, so good. I bought some extra thermal fuses at RS and I found a knock-off blower on Amazon that I bookmarked in case it happens again.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
$40 Amazon blower has been working fine for me for 18 months now; replacing fuse before going that route lasted less than one month.
Good luck with the repair.

Zeuxis

TDI
Jetta 2.0T
$40 Amazon blower has been working fine for me for 18 months now; replacing fuse before going that route lasted less than one month.
Good luck with the repair.

I was thinking to just do the resistor for now. The fan is also under glovebox right? I have 2006 Jetta 2.0T

Zeuxis

TDI
Jetta 2.0T
Went to VW just to ask how much parts are, in Canadian dollars he quoted me $82+tax for resistor and $256+tax for blower. Crazy high, I've seen those resistors for around $10 in eBay, is that not the same thing?

Carlos_TJ

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Bora (BXE PD)
When i first got my tdi, the fan squeaked and only worked in high.

I replaced the resistor pack with a junkyard part.

I blew the motor with compressed air and soaked it with wd40 (i do this every year when i replace the cabin filter)

jay.sejkora2011

TDI
2012 Passat SEL, 2009 Jetta Sportwagen,2006 Jetta- sold, 2006 Jetta- sold, 2001 Jetta-sold
My blower also sqeeks a bit. I might try this once I get around to fixing this no-AC problem.. Geeze it's getting hot out here. Been without AC for maybe two years.. Enough is enough.

dx1001

TDI
2003 jetta
Hello _my 03 jetta tri blower only working on 4 and the ac will not engage when fan runs. I could live with high speed for now but not without a.c... Is this normal??? Just a bad fan/thermal fuse? Thanks!

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Sounds like a blown resistor pack to me, dx1001.

But like mentioned above, the resistor blew for a reason (too much draw - most likely from the fan), so I'd be looking to replace both.