White Smoke Pouring from Exhaust

fastcar4re

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI SEL (purchased as "new" in May 2017).
This morning my 2005 Passat TDI started putting out huge clouds of white smoke from the exhaust pipe. The emissions message and check engine light came on very soon afterwards. I parked it. What are the usual suspects for such a situation? Thank you.

Smokerr

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat Wagon GL,2005,Silver
First do not drive though you may know that. Either condition can cause sever damage.

That is one of two causes.

1. Unbunt fuel due to injection and or injection timing issues, failed injector.

2. Water (coolant)

Check the oil, see if it has white streaks or emulsify (chocolate looking) Not a given, but it can leak both ways. Head gasket most likely.

Best wishes on simple.

fastcar4re

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for the advice. I guessed not to drive it because it was one of those extreme moments. Hello AAA.

fastcar4re

Veteran Member
TDI
I forgot to mention that the smoke smelled of burned oil and lingered like the misty morning in an old movie. It didn't seem like coolant. Time will tell.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
What codes were stored when the CEL and emissions light came on? The ECU does not monitor the cooler directly.

fastcar4re

Veteran Member
TDI
I do not know the codes, but the EGR Cooler has been replaced. Still some steam puffing from the exhaust. Sorry I can't say how much but the vw technician thinks there should be absolutely none after replacing the egr cooler and running the vehicle for awhile.

There was never any loss of performance, so we don't think it is a head gasget, so can anyone chime in as to what COULD still be causing some steam from the exhaust?

From Where else does coolant leak into the exhaust?

Thank you!

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
How far have you driven the car since you replaced the EGR cooler?

Not out of the ordinary for coolant to pool in the catalytic and take a while to burn off.

Did you ever have the codes scanned?

Coolant can get into the exhaust from the egr cooler, head gasket, cracked head, or a cracked block.

...if the smoke is coolant and not unburnt fuel.

Is the coolant level going down in the reservoir?