Please, where's the infamous Relay 109 on a 1998 N

johnnyangel

TDI
1998 Beetle, Red
Please, where\'s the infamous Relay 109 on a 1998 N

My car still isn't well (running rough) and my son and I are trying to replace the infamous relay 109, since people have reported roughness, starting, and engine dying problems, all of which I've had. (And I know the mechanic didn't replace it when the car was "serviced" most recently) So I bought one and we've now looked under the hood, at the fuse box, under the steering column where the other relays go, and there's no relay 109 there. There's an empty slot where it could fit, but I wouldn't think the car would be running without it. Can someone tell me where to find the blasted thing? Digipc would be especially appreciated!

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
Please, where\'s the infamous Relay 109 on a 1998 N

It's under your steering colum area. If I remember right, you can sort of see it through some vent slots in the cowling under the steering column.

And here's a picture of the old, black Relay 109:

Thanks to 'schnabba' for posting those pictures. If you go to the 'photos' section of the site and type in 'relay' and/or '109' you get a few pictures.

johnnyangel

TDI
1998 Beetle, Red
Re: Please, where\'s the infamous Relay 109 on a 1998 N

Thanks much to all. If the 109 is the one above the big 377, then I think we're there -- the problem seems to have been that the old one (despite the photo) isn't actually *labeled* 109, so we didn't know what to make of it ...

johnnyangel

TDI
1998 Beetle, Red
Re: Please, where\'s the infamous Relay 109 on a 1998 N

well, here's more happy into ... the aftermarket relay ("Kraker:") was totally responsible for the rough running. Thanks to the members of this forum tipping me off as to what to look for, my car is back to its wonderful self!